• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Wisdom the real dump stat?

Thanee

First Post
Wisdom is the 3rd most important stat for pretty much all fighter types after Str (or Dex) and Con.

If we go by the four iconic classes, I'd say the stats are ordered like this (most to least important):

Fighter: Str, Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
Cleric: Wis, Str, Con, Cha, Dex, Int
Rogue: Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha, Str
Wizard: Int, Con, Dex, Wis, Cha, Str

At least something like this. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
die_kluge said:
I don't know.. a 20th level barbarian with a 14 wisdom isn't going to be much of an improvement over the same barbarian with a 10 wisdom. I mean, that +2 isn't going to make much of a difference to a guy who's making DC 36 will saves.

Nope. But for all those DC ~20 saves it's more than helpful. :)

And it's 10% this way or that way. 10% higher chance to keep fighting.

Bye
Thanee

Turanil

First Post
Buttercup said:
Opinions?

It depends on many things, that is: of what stats you got and what class you are. For a non-fighter type I do prefer higher Wis than higher Str. Spot and Listen checks for example, may save your life, and Will saves are extremely important.

Last edited:

PicklingJeff

First Post
Buttercup said:
<SNIP>

High dexterity provides a boost to armor class and reflex saves, as well as bonuses to certain skills. Also, it's a prerequisite for several feats.

High constitution provides more hit points and better fortitude saves.

High wisdom provides bonus spells for arcane casters, will saves and bonuses to certain skills.

<SNIP>

Failing a reflex save, even at high levels, usually only costs you HP which can always be restored. Failing Fort and Will saves can not only kill your character (in a lame way) but most Will saves cost the encounter. Having your buffed up fighter turn on his own party, or stop him from holding the monsters of the spellcasters, usually ends up costing character lives.

I made a fighter with very high wisdom, and gave him Zen Archery. A full plated archer with all the fighter ranged feats kicks ass.

Wraith Form

Explorer
FraserRonald said:
For me, the skills that WIS modifies are very important (Listen, Spot and Survival). Granted, the skills that CHA modifies are likewise very important, depending on the type of character one is playing. When I'm playing a fighter-type, INT is usually my dump stat (though extra skill points could come in especially handy!) while when playing most other types, either STR or CON become the dump stats. That might sound insane, but my thieves are rarely Conan-esque in proportions and my wizards can't usually bench-press party members.

I'm feelin' you, yo.

green slime

First Post
Seeten said:
My low wisdom half-orc Barbarian/Fighter has a +1 will save at level 7, which means he runs away everytime a wolf howls, or any other fear effect/will save occurs.

I dont see this as a helpful thing for the party.

ROFLMAO!

green slime

First Post
I see Wisdom as being as equally important to fighters as Intelligence. Only because of a single feat, Combat Expertise. Were this single feat tied to Wisdom instead, Intelligence would drop off the fighter radar and be treated akin to Charisma.

For Tanks, the Wisdom stat is far more important than Dexterity, IMO.

ElvishBard

First Post
I believe you meant that wisdom is used for divine casters getting extra spells, right Buttercup?
High wisdom provides bonus spells for arcane casters, will saves and bonuses to certain skills.

Anyways, I always try to get a good will save no matter what I play. My players recently found out how important they are since they got an intelligent sword with an ego of 19, they have only a 10% chance of having control for the day so I bet they will be taking iron will next level lol. :)

Bobitron

Explorer
Sense Motive and Spot are two of the most commonly used skills in many games I play, so no. I tend to minimize CON before anything else, even on some combat oriented characters.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Wisdom's useful for paladin and ranger spellcasting and for a monk's AC bonus. Outside core, it's important for psionics and for the ninja in Complete Adventurer.

On the whole, I prefer charisma to wisdom cause I like my characters to look good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads