• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is WotC still the industry LEADER?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Do they lead like they did in 2000-2003. No. But that was sort of an anomaly. ...

I respectfully disagree with this.

I feel that their leading at that time was a direct result of a top down attitude of customers and gaming first. Definitely not an anomaly. It was a very specific result due to a purposeful and specific mentality and actions.

There's a common saying in the military: Take care of your people, and your people will take care of the mission.

In this situation I think you can correlate "customers" with "your people" (along with the workers at WotC). If you take care of your customers, your customers will take care of you. In a small niche industry like hobby gaming, it's even more true. A company that forgets this, or acts contrary to this, will eventually find itself without customers. Also, if you don't listen to your workers (people), you will also find yourself in this boat.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
True. But, those times changed long before now. Scarred Lands, which was WW's biggest D&D support, ended in 05 as I recall. When the d20 bubble popped, pretty much everyone got out of the game.

In the year before 4e was announced, how many publishers were supporting WOTC titles? 3, maybe 5? Sure, there was lots of small ones, but, I'm talking more serious sized companies. Paizo sized and the like.

AEG, Fantasy Flight Games, Goodman Games, Green Ronin, Kenzer, Malhavoc Press (via White Wolf), Margaret Weis Productions, Mongoose, Necromancer Games (via White Wolf and Kenzer), Paizo, and Paradigm Concepts all had releases in '06-07.

A lot of these changes occured quite some time ago. The days when there were companies lining up to ride on WOTC's train ended about the same time 3.5 hit the streets.

The glut stopped at this time, but the products kept coming, even if it was at a significantly more conservative pace.

Claiming that WOTC has lost its market leading position because companies aren't lining up now isn't really looking at the history very closely. Nobody's been knocking down WOTC's doors for years now. Even before all the hoopla of the last 18 months, those early days of 3e were dead and buried for quite some time.

But those early days were marked by *leadership* from WotC. All the other companies followed WotC's lead. Now they are slowly slicing into WotC's piece of the RPG pie - a pie that is shrinking with each passing day. WotC's losing ground, and the whole PnP RPG genre is seemingly in slow decline. As Ryan Dancey indicated elsewhere, rather than nurture the industry, they are taking what they can get and ignoring the whole.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Under that definition, I'm glad they aren't leading anymore. They were definitely leading when they got everyone to start making d20 versions of their games, but I'm not convinced that was actually good for gaming. It certainly led the gaming market in a given direction, but it wasn't a direction I particularly liked.

The idea about homogeneity is a fair cop, but that was kind of the strategy of WotC: get everyone playing versions of our game, and our game wins. It worked pretty well for them, there, as far as I can tell. And even then, there was variety in things like T20 or M&M or Arcana Unearthed or stuff like that. The system has been (and is being) explored quite rigorously.

There's also the idea that one system is better for the hobby in general. Better if Billy learns to play D&D and also knows how to play Vampire and Warhammer than if Billy needs to learn three different systems, each with 200+ page manuals. If you break down these system-walls, cross-pollination is much easier. Which is kind of the same idea that goes into 4e setting design within WotC from what we've seen: get everyone playing FR and everyone who plays FR can use everything from the core, too!

It's totally fair to not like that direction, but I do think, from a WotC-standpoint, it still made at least some business sense. ;)

A leader guides focus towards something specific. I do not believe that this is a viable idea for the long term growth of the hobby. Maybe in the short term -but in the long term it will create bubble: as it happened indeed.

Sure. Maybe WotC shouldn't be a market leader. But Stan! argued that they were (and they were) and that they are losing it (which is a question more open to argument, I think, though no one seems to be saying that Stan! is wrong in thinking that they're losing it).

coyote6

Adventurer
The most amazing thing that Wizards did was create the OGL. How many significant games are there that use the OGL for their own rules system that isn't derived from an existing OGL game?

Hmm. FATE (or Fudge -- did they rerelease Fudge under the OGL?); Mongoose's version of RuneQuest; Mongoose's Traveller (IIRC); the Action! system (which is based on Fuzion, IIRC); Colonial Gothic & Thousand Suns (I believe they use the same system) -- those are the ones I can think of. I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, and some more I don't know about. :)

I don't remember if any of Chad Underkoffler's games are OGL or not.

Harlekin

First Post
On his blog, Stan! was recently discussing the pulling of PDFs by WotC. In his entry makes an very interesting point, whether you agree or disagree with it (or even think it matters).

and

I recommend reading the entire entry, with his view on WotC's history through his own experiences. I find it quite interesting.

Thoughts?

How about the following alternative reading: Piracy is bad for the Hobby as a whole. Most RPG companies have thin profit margins and cannot afford to lose even 5% of sales. Hence going against pirates is in the interest of the industry. According to jasonbostwick (contested) Paizo managed to reduce piracy by increasing their security and freezing out known pirates. However, Paizo cannot afford to do anything more against the pirates, all they manage to do is plug a hole.

Wizards can do more, they can actually send a message to pirates by going after some of them. Of course this will not end piracy, but it may make some people think twice before uploading material of any RPG company, as they now know they they may get into trouble for this. This will reduce the supply of pirated material.
Remember that the most commonly used security measurement (Watermarking) only works with the implicit threat that you get into trouble if your mark is found on pirated material. Again, for this threat to work, someone has to be willing to actually sue for damages.

So you could argue that wizards is acting exactly like a leader should, doing what the smaller players in the market place cannot do.

primarchone

Explorer
I really don't get how people are even beginning to think that Wotc is not the industry leader. Look at the PDF news. People are mad because they want to play the game Wotc makes. I mean the PHBs are selling like mad and I'm sure the other Wotc books are doing just as well.

As much as some people may not want to admit it, the industry leader is determined by sales and nothing else.

Hi!

I agree with this completely. Most definitions I have seen are too subjective and are a "moving target".

In business a market leader is he with the largest market share. Its an objective measure. You either have the most market share or you don't. AT this point in time, that's WOTC hands down. Until that changes that only way NOT to make them the market leader is to change the definition.

Primarchone

cdrcjsn

First Post
So you could argue that wizards is acting exactly like a leader should, doing what the smaller players in the market place cannot do.

Good point.

WotC has had a lot of gaffes in the PR field, but they've also done a lot of innovation.

Outstanding retail support for game stores.
World wide organization of gamers at most conventions.
Online initiative.

Financially, is this really a boneheaded move? How many gamers actually bought those PDFs?

This move however might just kill the ability of older editions to grow.

With PDF versions of older editions gone, as well as their supplements and published adventures, they'll pretty much guarantee that in coming years, 4e is the only D&D in people's minds, especially to newer players.

coyote6

Adventurer
By suing the scallawag pirates, sure, WotC is leading. But pulling their PDFs is kind of like drydocking all your trans-ocean shipping in response to nautical pirates -- yeah, you may reduce the loss of your goods, but you also aren't getting your goods to your paying customers, and are regressing technologically.

However, as to "leading" -- I think WotC is both leading, and not leading, simultaneously.

The DDI is pretty new to the industry, and, from what I hear, pretty awesome. D&D 4e is an interesting design, that almost seems kind of indie-like in its dedication to its purpose (it's for a particular kind of fantasy game, with particular characteristics and goals, and it is focused pretty tightly on that, AFAICT; moreso than 3e, IMO [though my actual 4e play experience is limited]), which is something a lot of indie designs do. On the other hand, they have tightened their licensing restrictions, removed PDFs (at least temporarily) & thus decreased their digital presence, and had some not-so-great PR & marketing at times. So you've got forward-looking leadership and innovation, and then kind of the opposite, going on at the same time.

Wicht

Hero
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding Stans! point. Which makes me wonder if they really carefully read the editorial.

This has nothing to do with money. He acknowledges that they are still the 800 lb gorilla. And he was not talking about being innovative either if I understand him aright, and I think I do.

By leading, Stan! is really talking about helping and teaching, showing people a better way of doing things. The view of a leader is not the same as that of a competitor. The old view was that the RPG hobby was an army, or perhaps a family. What helped one helped all. WotC was the man in front, showing the way for everybody to profit.

Now WotC sees not a family of gamers, but a field of competitors. Its a different mindset. WotC, from all appearances is not trying to lead, they are trying to dominate. Its not the same thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads