• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is your group multiclassing?

How much of your group is multiclassed?

• 100% (To cover all the possibilities)

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • 75% (Multi/PrCs are great!)

Votes: 46 27.9%
  • 50% (Some wanted to)

Votes: 67 40.6%
  • 25% (There was a PrC that someone really wanted)

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • 0% (There is no applicable need)

Votes: 9 5.5%

Christian

Explorer
I put 50%. Two of six, right now, actually. But the cleric took a PrC at 9th level and will take it again when he gets back to 9th level after recovering from being raised from the dead. And the dwarf barbarian is planning to take some levels of fighter in the near future.

Current Party in the campaign I am DMing.

Human Paladin 4
Half Elf Ranger 2 Bard 3
Half Orc Fighter 3 Barbarian 2
Dwarven Fighter 1 Cleric 3
Human Wizard 4

The human mage is a brand new character replacing a halfling thief 2 wizard 2.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Most people in my group tend to stick with a core class while a few, at higher levels, go into a PrC but normal multi-classing isn't done a lot.

Myconid Sage

First Post
100% and as a DM I find it kind of irratating. One guy in the group is a: Ftr 7/ Rog 8/ Initiate of the Bow 7/ Deepwood Sniper 3. Blah!

JP

arwink

Clockwork Golem
About half the group, probably bumping up to three quarters once they reach a level where they can take prestige classes.

I do have at least one player who will never multiclass though - he's commited to being the best psion he can be and hates the idea of splitting the focus of his character.

JayOmega

First Post
~50%. Our group has three rotating DMs (sort of, I'm behind the screen more often than not), with six frequent gamers and two occasional gamers.

In my game:
Rogue/Fighter/Shadowdancer
Fighter/Paladin
Monk
Rogue (taking Thief-Acrobat next level)
Rogue
occasional Wizard (but plays a different character about every other session)
occasional Barbarian
...with most characters around 10th level. And yes, there's a booming cure-wounds potion economy that follows them wherever they go.

In the other two games, I play a fighter/bard and an evoker. The evoker's an 18-strength, 18-con spiked-chain-wielding half-orc, so he plays like a fighter/wizard at his low level. (No, I didn't roll that; the DM gave everyone a free 18 for the heck of it, and I put my best (16) stat roll in strength.)

I've got a rogue/paladin (saw the light :) ) as a backup character for either game.

In the game where I'm the Fighter/Bard, there's a druid, a fighter/cleric, a ranger, and a paladin. In my game, nobody heals (except the couple points of lay-on-hands from the Paladin.) In this game, everybody heals. Rather bizarre.

DMauricio

First Post
I think for my group, multiclassing is simply a means to create their character as they want to.

In a previous campaign, we had 5 players

1 wizard8
1 ranger3/druid5 (liked the idea of wild shape, so took druid to round out the wilderness guy feel)
1 ranger2/cleric6 (chose cleric as he was more of an undead hunter than a wilderness guy)
1 fighter8
1 barbarian4/rogue4 (barbarian was more of a background thing, I liked to think of this character as the sneaky guy who got mad sometimes)

Mind you, of the above characters, only the wizard ended up being a long surviving character. The rest got killed and got replaced by a rogue, a trumpet archon (using SS), a psionic warrior, and a paladin/sorceror

By the time the campaign ended, we were about 12th level, and the campaign only ended cause of a TPK. (we got sloppy in fighting a lich with cleric levels)

I'm waiting to see what happens with the campaign (the DM is taking a little hiatus to write up the next installment - which details what happened cause of our screw up)

HTH

Dom

Gothmog

First Post
Nope, no multiclassing in my group. I wouldn't prohibit it, but the PC would need a good reason and opportunity to be able to multi-class. I wouldn't allow a PC to take levels of barbarian once he has been created though- its too much of a cultural mindset to be learned. Also, there is only one out of 8 PCs that has a prestige class- and I do limit PrC's very strictly. In this case, he picked up a specialized PrC for priests of his church.

TroyXavier

First Post
Well I voted 50% because that's about the average
however in one of the two campaigns we're currently doing, it's:
75% in one
I have a Barbarian/Cleric/Fighter/Dervish, about to go into Admantine Warrior(I'm testing out prestige classes, why I've got so many)
One player is a Rogue/Wizard/Arcane Trickster
Another is a Ranger/Bloodhound
The fourth is a straight Fighter

The other one(3 players 1 DM in this one)
1 multiclass(me again) Cleric/Necromancer, pursuing True Necromancer
the others are
Paladin and Fighter.

Our last party (TPK'd this spring) was 5 PCs of 13th level with no multi-classing at all.

The new set of PCs are all single-classed, but at least one will multi-class, and two more are considering it.

So, I put 25%. It's fairly rare in my main game, but it's going to happen soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads