Island Empire Part 1, to Mermaid's Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Scotley said:
Radoon walks the ship. The crew is generally working hard and everything is in order. You find a couple of guys shirking a little, just taking their time coiling some ropes while they complain about only the officers getting to go ashore while they were in port. Your vast experience gives you some opportunities to advise the crew. Young Finn is pitching in and seems to know what he is doing. He is already making friends among the crew. Most seem in good spirits. The galley crew is pleased to have a visitor and complements. A few off duty crew are their playing cards and swapping improbable stories in the mess. Below decks you find a dice game in the small, but mostly empty hold. The stakes are small and no one seems to be losing much. You encounter Marienna in the ward room working on the books accounting for some food purchases made in Axiopolis. A half eaten chocolate rests on a dish next to her. She gives you a quick smile, but returns to her work. On deck, with rain coming the wind has picked up some and the sky is getting dark. The air is pleasantly cool after the heat in Axiopolis. There is a feeling of electricity in the air. You can't help thinking something is about to happen. Checking the seas you note that the swells are increasing and you feel a bit of spray. The horizons are clear of any ships. As the sun is setting you see the fast boat from Axiopolis off to the South. She is making impressive speed back toward Axiopolis. She doesn't appear to be on a course that will take her near the 'Bedsheet', she is just passing a little more than a mile off. Soon, she has vanished over the horizon in the fading light. When you return to the cabin you find an envelop. This one is not from Michael, but plain buff colored linen. There is no name on the outside, but is smells mildly of a perfume. Inside is a brief note.

"The chocolate's were delicious. I got you a little something in Axiopolis too. I hope you like it. M."

Inside is s small dagger pendant carved in stone with a tiny red gem not unlike the color of Marienna's hair set in the hilt. It is fine dwarven work and attached to a black leather cord so it can be worn about the neck.

Radoon is speechless. He will examine the pendant and note all the details. He is really floored by her thoughtfullness as no female other than his mother has really been so thoughtful. He will put on the necklace and when he sees her next, tell her how sweet a gesture it is and that it really means the world to him. Follow it by a long embrace.

Scotley

Hero
Aboard the 'Rumpled Bedsheet'

As Michael is offering a look at the gems to the boys he just catches a nod of encouragement from Christopher to Guisseppi. Guisseppi takes a look, but you doubt he would know a emerald from jade. Christopher then takes a more careful look and nods approvingly. "Sir if you'll pardon my impertenence, I think the 'drunken sailor' just wants to get his price up. He's trying to get to the top man and get his best price. He wants you on his turf, so he can control the negotiations. He'll come around when he senses the money slipping away. I'd send another note as we near port saying that you want to give him one more chance before you leave to make a deal in port instead." He returns the gems reluctantly. Michael's appointed dinner time is fast approaching.

J. Alexander

First Post
Michael Storm (warlock)

Michael will pause and seem to think over what Christoper just said. "You may be on to somethere there lad, i tend to let my dislike for sea rats overtake my business sense at times"

Well well we shall see, I am curious as to who my competiors may be on land at Mermaids Rest. I would think they would be more in the selling catagory than the buying one, which is my prinicple reason for going. I hope to make a few quick deals on low cost merchandies to fatten my purse for more commercial dealings with silver and gems. Michael will put the gems in his pounch and say he will return them to Rook tomorrow as he wishes to also see them in the morning light.

Michael will then instuct the lads to clear the table and will have Guiesspee show Christ how to set it for a light snack before supper. He will ask them to lay out just bread and cheese with some fruit and will wink at them and say,"May as well lay out enought for three...Growing boys do have fercious appetties"

Michael will then step close to Grond and in a low private voice say,"Stay close to the lads Grond, I fear what my happen to such tender flesh around sailors" "Don not let them leave unescourted while i am off visting the Captain"

Scotley

Hero

Radoon examines the necklace and finds it to be finely carved and polished very smooth. It is cool against his chest and small and light enough to be comfortable to wear. Marienna is currently standing a watch on the bridge and might be embarrased by a public display of thanks in front of the crew. Very pleasant food smells waft down the passageway from Michael Strom's cabin making Radoon's stomach rumble and reminding him that he hasn't eaten anything but a chocolate pepper since breakfast.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Radoon will wait until she is alone, maybe meet her on her way to her cabin after her watch.

Hmm, smelling the food does make his stomach rumble. Is there any chance there might be something in the mess hall? Maybe find Rook and ask if he'd like to join me for a bite.

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

Radoon has 2nd watch. With the shift rotation, he'll be on duty from 2am til 10am tonight. I've got 1st watch, and will be on from 10 pm til 6am. Officially, I'm off watch from 2pm til 10 pm; I'll take about a 4hr nap, then tend to paperwork and the like til time for my watch, unless I"m called before then.

BTW, I'll put on my armor, and I'll even sleep in it for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

Erland said:
Radoon has 2nd watch. With the shift rotation, he'll be on duty from 2am til 10am tonight. I've got 1st watch, and will be on from 10 pm til 6am. Officially, I'm off watch from 2pm til 10 pm;

OOC: Based upon this and the earlier post adding me to Marienna's watch, I'm assuming my shift is the one from 6 am to 2 pm. Since I came onboard toward the end of my shift, I'll continue to work with the guns till close to sundown, then spend a few hours aloft in the crow's nest. I'd plan to go to sleep around the end of Radoon's watch and wake up in the morning for mine. Finn would do what he could to streamline the firing times on the guns, going over the "Navy way" to do it and the shortcuts that all good gun men develop. He would also make sure the gun crews were familiar with the differences between volley, chain, and independent rates of fire, and go over the different ammunition loads the guns can use and are available.

For the DM
[sblock] Scott, has Finn run into any crew members that he feels suspicious of? I'll do a sense motive roll if you want, but as we are playing out several hours here, I would take the time to Take 20 if it was available for anyone who made my back itch upon the first moments of interaction. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero

Radoon finds a hearty meal in the officers mess. The roast duck is excellent. Rook is not to be found.

OOC: Assuming Rook is keeping his dinner date with Michael.

Scotley

Hero

Finn enjoys his time with the cannons and the gunners appreciate his professional training. He finds that the ship also carries a dozen grenades.

For Finn only [sblock]The crew seems okay. They are all loyal to Captain Marin and eager to rescue his son and kick some pirate butt. As has already been established, Christopher, Michael's new cabin boy is in fact trouble. Finn is sure his motives are purely personal and driven by greed.[/sblock]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads