• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

Scotley said:
OOC: Did you take into account that this is a masterwork swivel gun? The zombie whale is 23. Damage for the gun is 3d4+3 with a crit being on 18-20 x3.

OOC: No, I didn't know it was a masterwork gun. That would make my roll a 23, just enough to hit. Wish I had rolled that 18 tho', would make for nice damage.
Damage (3d4+3=10)

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

Scotley said:
OOC: At its lowest point at the waist of the Rumpled Bedsheet the deck is only 8' above the water line. Nets are up and extend from the deck up some 15'. Note that this is a risky move if the ship skins it will be challenging for the men to escape the nets.

I'll call out to the man next to the ship's bell, "Sound collision.". To a crewman who can be sent below, "Something's attracting these monsters, go below and tell Radoon to, at his first opportunity, go the the hold where we've got the extra magic items stowed and throw overboard the pearl earrings and any holy symbols we've got, including those Northern knives."

Then I'll use the axe to open a hole in the netting large enough for me to get through. Axe attack on the net at -6 Power Attack (1d20+6=14) for damage to the net. (1d10+14=19)

If that opens a large enough hole, I'll climb through and prepare to jump down onto the whale when it breaches.

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

OOC: Oh, yeah, I was going to say that boarding nets was a risky move if you're going whale hunting, not if you're going against humanoid zombies...

Scotley

Hero
The battle joined

Rook's arrow glances off the wave. Morwyn gives orders and then attacks the carefully hung boarding nets opening a nice gap. The zombie whale rises until the upper half is visible above the water. It is a gruesome sight with one eye rotted away. Crabs are eating the rotting eyeball. The flesh is gray and hanging loosely in several places. A swivel gun booms and a ball can be seen striking the rubbery undead flesh of the whale. At almost the same time a bolt of lightning streaks from the rail to strike whale in the head. The peal of thunder joins the echo of the cannon blast. Some sailors get off crossbow shots and a ballista fires, but all fail to penetrate the whale hide. The creature briefly drops under the water again and then rises high out of the water to crash its jaw upon the deck. The ship lists violently. (Balance check DC 12 or slide across the deck. If you fail you may drop anything held and grab on to avoid sliding.) The whale heaves violently and regurgitates a stream of undead sailors, giant undead hermit crabs, one half digested zombie giant squid and several fish--live, dead and undead fish. Then it slips off the side of the ship and beneath the waves. The various undead begin ripping their way through the boarding nets aided by the gap.

New Round. Actions?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

As he sheaths his bow and takes out his great black blade, Rook will call out:

"Captain, the assumption that our magic items are attracting the creatures doesn't necessarily follow from the fact that they are attacking us. I submit that they were sent against us by the other necromancer, who would have found it easy to determine our whereabouts and the name of our ship. My source specifically asked for the earrings, and in return for the information we were given I think that's a fair price. We should hold off on ditching those items!"

He staggers slightly at the whale's impact with the ship, but manages to keep his feet.

Balance Check (1d20+12=16)

OOC: I can't remember - can he change weapons and attack in one round, or does he need to wait 'till next round to swing?

Scotley

Hero
Mowgli said:
OOC: I can't remember - can he change weapons and attack in one round, or does he need to wait 'till next round to swing?

OOC: You can draw a weapon as a free action as part of a move action--meaning you can't get a full attack, but sheathing a weapon is a standard action, so no attack unless you just drop the bow, which is free. Of course it could slide into the sea...

Remove ads