• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

Scotley

Hero
The Captain, Radoon and a crewman stuggle against the tenticles in vain (grapple checks (1d20+29=39, 1d20+29=36, 1d20+29=40)). Rook displays impressive acrobatics yet fails to strike the squid. The axe weilding crewman, a raging barbarian, hacks through the tenticle holding Marienna and she quickly begins a spell. Those nearby including Rook, Radoon, Morwyn and Finn feel the now all too familiar warmth of her healing magic flow into them (all are cured for 14 points of damage). The spell seems to have the opposite effect on nearby undead who writh in agony as the spells magic is released. Finn manages to get a hand on one of his pistols and fire point blank against a tenticle without drawing it. The bullet penetrates the tenticle, but is not enough to free him as yet. Gnurl casts his magic spell at his odd pursuer. The first ray burns her, but only when the second strikes does she fall to the deck in a smoldering heap. A couple of bolts bounce off the squid, but one sling bullet splats into a hedious undead eye and a ballista missle also finds its mark. Other crewmen fight a despirate battle on the decks. The squid squeezes (1d6+9=12, 1d6+9=13, 1d6+9=11, 1d6+9=12) Radoon, Morwyn, Finn and a crewman. It's beak snaps at Rook, but misses, while the crab and a sea zombie somehow manage to miss the stuggling Morwyn. A couple of blows also miss Rook. A pair of crabs meanace Gnurl on the mast, but as he climbs another 10' he remains out of reach. Their limbs don't seem to be able to climb the pole. The ship rocks as the undead whale slams into it, and while the hull creaks ominously, the ship withstands the blow.

OOC: New round. Actions?

Attachments

• maindeck3.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 75

Leif

Adventurer
web

ooc: I'll now cast a Web Spell, trying to snare as many of the sea zombies and crabs as possible. If I can snag all of these targets specified below with webs to spare, then I'll just let the excess go on over the gunwale and off of the ship. From the last diagram that we had, it doesn't appear that anyone on our side of the battle will be in the area of the webs except for the two sailors mentioned below, but if one or more of the pcs move into the area before my turn comes up, then I'll not cast the spell, I'll spend this round trying to figure out something else to do.

ooc: Webs are anchored to mast, and both side rails. This should get sea zombies 4, 5, and 6, medium crabs 1 and 2, large crab 2, sailor #5, and maybe sailor #2. (We can see about rescuing the crew after the bad guys are dispatched.) Saving throws, please?

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=For Gnurl only]The web must be anchored at two points. It has a 20' radius spread and the map is 5' squares. So you can cover quite an area of the deck. To the right of the mast where the barrels are is the raised forecastle. You could anchor it at mast and the wall of the forecastle and from rail to rail to catch quite a few. Poor sailor 5 is gonna be toast next round anyway, he's already roughed up pretty bad. Covering the area in webs might even cause the mindless undead to focus on getting free and ignore him. Tell me where you want it and I'll let you know how many you trap. Be sure to look at the latest map from post 1147.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

Rook slips past Marienna, running alongside the squid's huge flank to attack it at a different spot (OOC: moves to B6), neatly evading attacks by both the squid and the sea zombies (Tumble Checks (1d20+13=23, 1d20+11=16, 1d20+9=19) and Tumble Check - Sea Zombie 02 (1d20+7=18)) as he goes.

In a display of superb grace and swordsmanship, he slices neatly into the creature's side, but DúbhRásúr has trouble getting through the rubbery hide and doesn't inflict much damage.

To Hit (1d20+7=27)
Crit Check (1d20+7=18)

Damage (1d10+3=7)

OOC: Scott - I know critical hits have no practical effect, but thought I'd roll it for the visuals, anyway. Of course, the Crit Check was a miss :(

Remove ads