• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire, Part III, The Lich's Curse

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Thanking the Powers that Be for the Greater Mage Armor that saved his skin, Gnurl steps back, and casting defensively, casts Greater Invisibility upon his little self.

Concentration check for Defensive Casting:
1d20+21=30 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1612606/

Once he winks out of view, Gnurl will get his little butt away from all these bad guys, H 11.

[sblock=Gnurl's plan]Next round, Gnurl wants to cast True Casting, followed the round after that by Orb of Force. This assumes that his Greater Invisibility will allow him to avoid his opponents for two rounds. Eeeek.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
mleibrock said:
Radoon again lets loose with a flurry of daggers:

shocking/returning dagger misses:

shocking/returning dagger (1d20 11=15)

+1 cold iron dagger hits:

1 cold iron dagger (1d20 11=25)

damage:

1 cold iron dagger damage (1d4 6=9)

(2) regular daggers - 1 crit, 1 miss

2 regular daggers (1d20 6=8, 1d20 6=26)

crit check (1d20 6=25)

damage (1d4 6=10) x2 =20

Total damage=29

OOC: The first dagger that hits (second one thrown) will slay your foe. Where do you want to toss the third and fourth daggers?

Scotley

Hero
Mowgli said:
[sblock=Scotley]Will Save (1d20+12=14)

If you'll let me know the effect, I'll post H'Roosh's next action.[/sblock]

[sblock=H'Roosh]The effect is a slow burst. The weapon is also a weapon of spell storing and had Inflict Serious wounds stored, so you really had bad luck getting critted for the double damage and the slow effect as well as taking the extra one time damage from the stored spell all at the same time. Then you failed the save. Invisible Castle really does have it in for you. Anyway, you are slowed as per the spell for 3 rounds:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm

[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Lou said:
OOC: Scotley-lots of questions in red in the sblocks.

Mig bites the dire wolf as she is overrun. Mig stands and bites the dire wolf again, sinking her teeth deep into a foot.

[sblock=for Scotley]
Mig's AoO on Dire Wolf
AoO on Dire Wolf; damage (1d20+6-1=22, 1d6+4=9) Added the -1 due to the curse manually

Mig will stand up (AoO) and fight defensively (+2 AC/-4 Atk), attacking the dire wolf, and activating the teamwork amulet for +5 AC for Mig and Anson this round.

atk def on Dire Wolf; damage (1d20+2-1=21 (natural 20), 1d6+4=7)
crit check: crit check (1d20+2-1=19)

please add critical hit damage if appropriate
[/sblock]

Anson becomes defensive and heals slightly, drawing his short sword for his usual two-weapon attacks. Anson is looking weak and tired from the force of the attacks.

Mingo stands quickly and snaps three skiprocks at the back of the dire wolf, one skiprock hits and skips off to the wall. The other two skiprocks miss.

[sblock=OOC and rolls]
Anson activates his healing armor for 9 points, healing-3 charges (4d8=9) uh oh!

Mingo stands as her move and then slings 3 skiprocks at the dire wolf:
3 skiprocks on direwolf (1d20+12=14, 1d20+12=24, 1d20+8-1=11) remembered most of the -1 this time

Is Mingo flanking for a sneak attack +1d6? Do the rider and dire wolf lose dex on Mingo's attacks? If flanked, Mig's amulet gives +2 damage for the flank.
damage on Dire Wolf for the 24 (do the others hit?): skiprock on Dire Wolf (1d6+4+1d6=14) plus possible flank and sneak attack damge

Skip to rider: skip to rider (1d20+12=14)

Mingo Spells in Effect: None

[sblock=Mingo's spells]
Mingo's Spells
(5+0+0) 0 Level: Create Water; Guidance (x2)(1m); Mending; Read Magic
(3+1+1) 1 Level: Bless (5m); PFE(5m); Magic Weapon(5m); PFE(5m) + Longstrider(5h)
(2+1+1) 2 Level: Lesser Restoration; Spiritual Weapon(5r); Spiritual Weapon(5r) + Locate Object
(1+1+1) 3 Level: Prayer(5r); Spark of Life(5r); Ghost Touch Weapon (5m) + Water Breathing
[/sblock]

Anson has no spells in effect at this time.

[sblock=Anson's spells]
1st-Level Ranger Spells
• Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1 on attack and damage rolls.
• Resist Energy: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
2nd-level Ranger Spell
• Barkskin: +2 enchanement to natural armor (10min/lvl)
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

OOC: Okay several issues here as you say. First note that standing from prone draws and attack of opportunity--one from each foe, so you might want Mig to 'play dead'. I'll leave it to you to decide if she is smart enough to know this or if Anson will comand her to stay down. I'm not sure who you think could flank. Anson, Finn and Mig are all lined up in front of the creature. Mingo is too far away and because she is holding a missile weapon rather than a melee weapon she does not threaten her surroundings anyway. There are some ranger spells that allow one to threaten with a missile weapon weapon in complete adventurer and spell compendium that Anson might want to look at if they can be cast on another. Flanking does not normally deny dex. bonus, and they are not flanked so unless some other factor I've missed is in play they are at full AC. Did I miss anything?

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

OOC: Ouchies!!!! From 43 to 6 in one round. Not nice. /OOC

Reeling from the huge wound received from the giant creature, Finn goes on the defensive to try and prevent more damage.

DM[sblock] Okay, Finn goes defensive, and also taps a Force Shield tattoo, so that should raise his AC by 8. And if you will allow, he is going to reach out with Far Hand, pick up the flask of holy water that Balmal had used to seal the book, and dump it on the head of the big bad. Maybe that will distract it from being so nasty to poor little thieves without lots of hit points. If Finn survives this, first priority is upgrading his defenses. ;) [/sblock]

Lou

Explorer
Lou's 3.5 education continues

Scotley said:
OOC: Okay several issues here as you say. First note that standing from prone draws and attack of opportunity--one from each foe, so you might want Mig to 'play dead'. I'll leave it to you to decide if she is smart enough to know this or if Anson will comand her to stay down. I'm not sure who you think could flank. Anson, Finn and Mig are all lined up in front of the creature. Mingo is too far away and because she is holding a missile weapon rather than a melee weapon she does not threaten her surroundings anyway. There are some ranger spells that allow one to threaten with a missile weapon weapon in complete adventurer and spell compendium that Anson might want to look at if they can be cast on another. Flanking does not normally deny dex. bonus, and they are not flanked so unless some other factor I've missed is in play they are at full AC. Did I miss anything?

OOC: I caught the move+normal action limitation, but I didn't rethink the action for Mig. I'll modify that.

I see now that you can only flank with a melee weapon. Crap! Unless you're a Whisperknife PrC? (They appear to have a feat that allows for ranged flanking.) Looks like my only hope would be for the DM to rule that the dire wolf and his rider are unable to manuever due to the low ceiling and cramped quarters. That would deny the Dex bonus and allow Mingo to sneak attack.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon

Since the rider of the wolf is in sight he would probably get the excess. I realize I do not hit with my rolls but does a crit always hit or just a natural 20?

Scotley

Hero
SirCaith said:
DM[sblock] Okay, Finn goes defensive, and also taps a Force Shield tattoo, so that should raise his AC by 8. And if you will allow, he is going to reach out with Far Hand, pick up the flask of holy water that Balmal had used to seal the book, and dump it on the head of the big bad. Maybe that will distract it from being so nasty to poor little thieves without lots of hit points. If Finn survives this, first priority is upgrading his defenses. ;) [/sblock]

[sblock=Finn]Activating the tattoo is a standard action which draws and attack of opportunity, so you might want to move out of range of that sword before you do it. He has 10' reach due to size. I'm afraid the mage hand is also a standard action so you really shouldn't be able to do both, but what the hell, it is a cool idea, I'll let it stand. Invisible Castle was really unkind to you guys last round, so I'll cut you some slack.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Lou said:
OOC: I caught the move+normal action limitation, but I didn't rethink the action for Mig. I'll modify that.

I see now that you can only flank with a melee weapon. Crap! Unless you're a Whisperknife PrC? (They appear to have a feat that allows for ranged flanking.) Looks like my only hope would be for the DM to rule that the dire wolf and his rider are unable to maneuver due to the low ceiling and cramped quarters. That would deny the Dex bonus and allow Mingo to sneak attack.

OOC: Well there are some other tricks you can use, the main thing is that flatfooted creatures are denied their dex. bonus and thus subject to sneak attack. That normally occurs on the first round of combat whenever you have initiative. Anytime your opponent is blinded, cowering, or stunned they lose dex. bonus, so pursing feats, spells and magic items that produce this effect for Mingo or her companions would also be a good way to get in those extra sneak attack dice. Researching a cleric version of the ranger spell Arrow Mind that works with slings rather than bows would also be very helpful. It allows you to threaten adjacent squares with a bow and not draw attacks of opportunity when using a bow from a threatened square. Both these are very useful abilities. Unfortunately, the spell as written is for rangers and only works with certain bows, so you'd need to research your own version. You should also consider the 3rd level ranger spell Arrow Storm which allows you to launch one arrow at every foe within one range increment up to character level as research fodder. Might be fun to sling at ten foes in one round eh? I don't think I'd let you do the skiprock bounce on that as well.

Scotley

Hero
mleibrock said:
Since the rider of the wolf is in sight he would probably get the excess. I realize I do not hit with my rolls but does a crit always hit or just a natural 20?

OOC: I use the house rule that a natural 20 is always a hit. A threat is not automatically a hit. However, if you roll a threat that is not a hit and make the followup roll to confirm a crit I suppose I can let that stand as a successful hit. You guys could use a break about now. Based purely on your levels and the challenge ratings of these monsters, you guys should have had a pretty easy time of it, but so far it hasn't exactly been going your way.

Remove ads