• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire, Part III, The Lich's Curse

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
H'Roosh

Gods, it feels like I'm moving through molasses . . . I'll likely get only one more shot at this guy, so I'd better make it count!

H'Roosh steps into his next blow, and as he swings his fist he mutters the command word to his ring under his breath as well. The rings destructive damage is partly unleashed, oozing into the body of the foul creature and delivering its painful message.

"Two can play at that game!"

[sblock=Combat Rolls]To Hit: 1d20+10=22
Damage (Blow): 2d6+4=14
Damage (Ring): 1d8+5=8
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Scotley said:
OOC: I use the house rule that a natural 20 is always a hit. A threat is not automatically a hit. However, if you roll a threat that is not a hit and make the followup roll to confirm a crit I suppose I can let that stand as a successful hit. You guys could use a break about now. Based purely on your levels and the challenge ratings of these monsters, you guys should have had a pretty easy time of it, but so far it hasn't exactly been going your way.

Easy time? Are you crazy???? I can not even hit that guy on the wolf!! How are we supposed to beat that thing?

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: I'm totally confused about where we are in the order of battle. Someone please let me know when Gnurl can act again?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC:

We're collecting the second round of actions for characters - the same round Gnurl cast Greater Invisibility and moved to H11. The confusion is partly my fault - technically I should have posted my questions for Scott in the OOC thread to avoid cluttering this one. I'll do better in the future.

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

Scotley said:
[sblock=Finn]Activating the tattoo is a standard action which draws and attack of opportunity, so you might want to move out of range of that sword before you do it. He has 10' reach due to size. I'm afraid the mage hand is also a standard action so you really shouldn't be able to do both, but what the hell, it is a cool idea, I'll let it stand. Invisible Castle was really unkind to you guys last round, so I'll cut you some slack.[/sblock]

DM [sblock] Then I guess ignore the tattoo for now. With that reach, I can't get out of his range without completely disengaging, and that would still allow him to nail me. (Don't you hate that the rules did away with running away once you got in melee without the enemy getting in that closing shot? Great when you are winning the battle, terrible when you're getting bent over.) Thanks on the psi trick. I thought you would like it. [/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli said:
OOC:
We're collecting the second round of actions for characters - the same round Gnurl cast Greater Invisibility and moved to H11. The confusion is partly my fault - technically I should have posted my questions for Scott in the OOC thread to avoid cluttering this one. I'll do better in the future.
OOC: My apologies for continuing this OOC convo here...:">

OOC: Good, that's what I was hoping. And don't sweat the confusion thing. i'm just glad that I was able to finally get out of my rut of posting actions 1 to 3 rounds ahead of the rest of the party! :)

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
OOC: My apologies for continuing this OOC convo here...:">

OOC: Good, that's what I was hoping. And don't sweat the confusion thing. i'm just glad that I was able to finally get out of my rut of posting actions 1 to 3 rounds ahead of the rest of the party! :)

OOC: No worries about continuing the discussion here. I've left the door open to that by answering so many questions here of late. I have everyone's posts, but I'm swamped just now. I'll try to get a post up tonight but tomorrow morning is more likely.

Scotley

Hero
Round 2

Finn 23
H'Roosh 23
Mig 16
Mingo 15
Gnurl 13
Radoon 12
Geoffrey 11
Scribe 10
Anson 7
Bad Guys 6
Balmal 4

Reeling from the huge wound received from the giant creature, Finn goes on the defensive to try and prevent more damage. The vial of holy water Balmal used earlier rises seemingly of it's own accord and drifts up toward the ceiling and pours down the back of the huge goblinoid on the wolf. He roars in rage and smoke can be seen rising from the joints of his armor around the neck.

Gods, it feels like I'm moving through molasses . . . I'll likely get only one more shot at this guy, so I'd better make it count!
H'Roosh steps into his next blow, and as he swings his fist he mutters the command word to his ring under his breath as well. The rings destructive damage is partly unleashed, oozing into the body of the foul creature and delivering its painful message.

"Two can play at that game!"

Mig bites the dire wolf as she is overrun. Anson yells at Mig, "Mig, stay down and play dead!" Mig rolls to the wall and feigns death.

Mingo stands quickly and snaps three skiprocks at the back of the dire wolf, one skiprock hits and skips off to the wall. The other two skiprocks miss.

Thanking the Powers that Be for the Greater Mage Armor that saved his skin, Gnurl steps back, and casting defensively, casts Greater Invisibility upon his little self.

Concentration check for Defensive Casting:
1d20+21=30 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1612606/

Once he winks out of view, Gnurl will get his little butt away from all these bad guys.

Radoon again lets loose with a flurry of daggers. He drops the foe before him, but not before the creature almost gets him with a bite. One of the second brace of daggers finds a gap in the big goblinoid's armor. [sblock=Radoon]I may have misunderstood your question earlier. The natural 20 hits even if the followup roll isn't good enough for a crit.[/sblock]

Bringing his mace into action, Geoffrey will lash out at #4 hoping to free himself to move towards the others and give them a chance to flank the opponents. Hitting the creature only once Geoffrey does do a considerable amount of damage, but does not bring him down.

The young scribe hops from his ladder to a bookshelf and reaches down to heal Radoon (25 points healed).

Anson becomes defensive and heals slightly, drawing his short sword for his usual two-weapon attacks. Anson is looking weak and tired from the force of the attacks.

The goblinoid wheels his mount in a tight circle looking for the source of the attacks against him. His blade finds Mingo (26) and Radoon (31). The wolf mount, his attack spoiled apparently by the rider's maneuvering narrowly fails to bite into Anson's leg. The others continue their attacks with Anson getting clawed (9) and Geoffrey taking a nasty bite (13). Gnurls foe whirls about looking for the Gnome. The archer launches more arrows, but fails to hit.

Balmal sticks his head out from under the desk and holds up the book triumphantly. He shouts, "Barghests!" and continues in a tone not unlike that of a lecturer giving a talk at a ladies afternoon tea on the strange denizens of some far land. "Some of the Greater, but mostly the lesser variety. Despite their varied forms they are all the same sort of creature even the big bugbear like fellow on the wolf as well as the wolf himself. They can move between the dimensions, no doubt the way they gained entry, they can also enhance their size and strength with arcane might. Denizens of the lower planes there is some debate as to their origins..." He continues to toss out information about the foes while ducking an arrow from the archer. (+2 to hit and +2 on all saves for the rest of the encounter for all.)

Attachments

• Balmals_study.xls
    29 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Lou

Explorer
Mingo Frasse (HP37/81 AC26) Anson (HP11/72 AC20) Mig (HP20/35 AC19)

ooc: I think we need a new map after all that! But I'll start my moves and adjust slightly based on the map.

Anson yells at Mig as the beast and rider move away, "Mig, up and defend."

Mig jumps up, standing next to Anson and taking a defensive posture. If anyone attacks Anson, Mig will aid defense.

Mingo moves another 5 feet away from the beast and rider to avoid any AoO and heals herself slightly slings 3 skiprocks at the beast. The second one strikes and bounces back towards Mingo instead of at the rider.

Anson makes a full attack on the foe in front of him, landing one long sword and one short sword blow.

[sblock=OOC and rolls]

If Mingo moves to I10, that should avoid AoO for this round. Mingo spontaneously cast CSW on herself in place of SM III.

CSW (3d8+5=16)

Mingo attacks: skiprocks attacks (1d20+14=16, 1d20+14=32, 1d20+9=10)

The 32 should hit: 11 points of damage skiprock damage (1d6+4+1d6=11)

skip to rider: 13 skip atk (1d20+12=13)

Anson's attacks:

One LS strike and one SS strike hit.
full attack (1d20+12=13, 1d20+7=25, 1d20+11=13, 1d20+6=24) So many 1's and 2's!

damage: 24 total damage (1d8+6=14, 1d6+5=10)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling hp76/76,AC23,ActvSpells:GtrMagArm,SeeInvis,GtrInvis

Round 3, Gnurl Whiskerling

Gnurl thinks: "Finally! My plan seems to be working, for the moment, at least." This round, Gnurl will continue moving somewhat to avoid all the combatants in the room (moving to the exact middle of the H10/I10 dividing line), and will cast True Casting in preparation for his next spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads