Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

Scotley

Hero
The man looks at you suspiciously until the smell from the basket wafts over him. "Ah, always good to hear from Goodwife Pilson." He place his and on his chest with fingers splayed, "I am Watch Sargent Giles at your service."

[sblock=Zurrik]The man wears a short sword at his belt that radiates magic. He also wears a chain shirt as part of the uniform which is magical. Neither item is of unusual power. [/sblock]

Lou

Explorer
Zurrik Odeil

Looking at Gnurl, “Master Gnurl, if you please, do not deprive the good Watch Sargent and his men any longer.

Turning back to Giles, “The Goodwife Pilson speaks highly of you, Watch Sargent. We would have a word with you in private, if you will. As introduction, my name is Zurrik Odeil. I am a deputy sheriff in the Western Reach. My friends and I are traveling with Lord Vasa of the Radiant Sun, anchored in the harbor.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Gnurl takes charge of the basket and begins distributing the bread to the guardsmen, being overly generous to Watch Sergeant Giles. "Here, let me butter that morsel for you, Sergeant!"

Scotley

Hero
Watchmen that had until an instant before been out of sight busy with important work suddenly arrive to partake of the goodies in the basket. Having taken a generous portion of freshly buttered bread from Gnurl, Giles steps to an empty office with Zurrik. "Well sheriff Odeil, what brings you so far from your jurisdiction today?"

Lou

Explorer
Zurrik Odeil

"You know how grinding the work can become, especially when the criminal element has friends in high places." Zurrik stops to gauge Giles' reaction. "I needed a break. This is my first trip to see the world, a world that has become very unfriendly in a hurry.

"My friends and I are tracking a dangerous lich, who has cursed my friends. You may know him locally as the Sea Sorcerer.
" Zurrik stops to gauge Giles' reaction to the name. "I hope that he was not family or friend to you, for we intend to destroy the evil that he has become at all costs. The Goodwife tells us that you are an honest man not bought off by the local criminal element. That is why we came to you. We do not ask for you to put yourself in danger. We do ask that you provide us with some information so we can deal with this undead menace."

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Gnurl continues to minister to the guardsmen, whilst trying will all of his not inconsiderable Gnomish might to overhear a bit of Zurrik's conversation with Giles.

[OOC: Thanks, Mikey! I'll be here all week! Remember to tip the DM.]

Scotley

Hero
The watchman is watching Zurrik closely as he talks, obviously trying to determine if he is in fact insane. However, Giles is obviously shocked by the notion of the Sea Sorcerer being a Lich. "You realize that this is way out of my jurisdiction. Any support I can lend you would have to off the record. I know something is going on with the Sorcerer and his people. We aren't blind to the fact that he's involved with the criminal element here. What exactly do you want from me?"

Lou

Explorer
Zurrik Odeil

"I hope we don't needan official help. This fight started, as I understand it, as a hostage rescue mission. With the young woman rescued, it has now become personal and involves Lord Vasa, so the Church is at least unofficially supporting us if not outright backing us. We need two things, one easy and one hard. The easy part is that we need to know who is in league with the Sorcerer, and who his known local enemies are. The hard request is that we need some room to work without being in a two-way fight with the law."

Zurrik hesitates to see Giles' reaction before continuing, "I have to admit that I would be hesitant to help, if it were you asking me. I would probably give you some minimal information and then follow you to see what you do with that information. That said, following us very closely could get a person killed. This group seems to attract trouble. I've seen Barghests and vampires since I met up with them, things I had never encountered before."

Scotley

Hero
"Well, I don't much like to talk about it, but not all the law out here is as upstanding as we are. The Sea Sorcerer's power is pretty impressive and reaches into the judicial circles. He hasn't been particularly interested in things the last few years and so his power isn't what it once was. But he's still got some influential friends. He's also got some enemies I think. People who worked for him and then got comfortable in recent years with being in charge. They aren't going to want to give up there power now. You might use that against him, but these are dangerous criminal figures. I'm not sure it would be worth it."

Remove ads