• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Isle of Dread - your experiences?

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I have a feeling that we were run through a 3.0 conversion of this a while ago.

All was good apart from the DM not giving me enough XP for some inspired tactics to kill of 80 stirges at a time.

Until somewhere near the bottom of a dungeon when the magic-lite group had to take on a couple of rather hard incorporeal nasties which just proved... frustrating.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
This was the first module that I DMed for the bloke who introduced me to D&D and, coincidentally, turned me off playing so much that I only ever DMed except on about half-a-dozen occasions for the next 20+ years.

The players had a great time as I let them use the AD&D rules so we had a druid in the party. Ahhh, the joys of animal friendship and hunting dinosaurs from roc-back. We never did finish it but I would love to run it again. My next FR campaign is set in the Great Dale in the Unapproachable East but has links to the pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars. If the PCs pursue those links they may end up shipwrecked on the new 3.5E version of the Isle that will be published in Dungeon.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I got the module as part of the Expert Box set for basic D&D years ago. I ran it several times. One of my favourite modules from back then.

snarfoogle

First Post
thundershot said:
Oh, and I can't WAIT for the next issue of DUNGEON! A poster map of the Isle of Dread, as well as 3.5 info for it, and one of the adventures will be set on the IOD!!

Chris

Which issue will this be? I don't get Dungeon, but this I will HAVE to get.

Fun module. A party I played with got eaten by pleisosaurs before even getting to the island. I DM'd it a couple times, but don't remember any group making it to the center of the island -- dinos usually got them at some point.

I just started reading Eberron, and it strikes me that IOD would be a great adventure for the Eberron CS.

DiFier

First Post
we played it recently I'm not sure if our converted it or if there was a 3.0 conversion on the web some where but it was great.

thundershot

Adventurer
The Isle of Dread issue of Dungeon should be #114.. the first one with the new logo, and will say ISLE OF DREAD POSTER MAP INCLUDED right across the top..

Ah.. here's the cover...

cover_500.jpg

Chris

Reckless

First Post
This module holds a special place in my heart because it is the only one I ever ran for all of my siblings. 3 out of the 5 of them still play various games, but this is the one that my other brother and sister played in. Yeah, this one is golden for me.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I had the orange cover version that came with the blue box Elmore cover Expert set. I loved this module, and consider it one of the high points of wilderness adventure design. But this is all just from memories or reading it. Unfortunately, I've actually never had a chance to run it (or play in it). Hopefully the Dungeon redo will inspire me to get off my butt and do so one of these days.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I remember getting this with the Expert set. I don't think I ever actually played it, but I was entraced by this new concept of "wilderness adventure."

Sigh. That's back when hex paper was in fashion for wilderness maps. The nostalgia....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads