Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Whilst it is unconventional, I'm going to resolve Shen's ambuscade before rolling initiative in the hope that I can find out what Daedarai will be doing soon. Once I have all player decisions, I will roll initiative[/sblock]

Shen wipes the smug smile off the old mans face as she moves deliberately before conversation ends. She knew how it was going to end anyway and in a situation like this, it's the quick or the dead, literally... Shen wraps her arms swiftly around the back of his head, smiling momentarily before gritting her teeth and pulling the mans face towards the top of her forehead (Attack roll total 21). With the sound of bone or cartilage breaking, blood began flowing from his nose (4 damage). The old man looks behind Shen calling, "What are you waiting for you fools, get her!"

[sblock=OOC]All players, please stand by for Daedarai, then I will roll initiative[/sblock]

Alejandro believes in fighting fair - making the fight fair for him. He swings his morning star back and aims a whirling uppercut to the old man's Crown Jewels with all his might.
[sblock=OOC] When it's my turn, I'd like to use 10' movement to engage the old man, attack him where it hurts from behind, and then - Raging - I'd like to use the rest of my movement to jump onto the nearest table so I'm in the right height position to brain the half-Orc - while scoping the way to the exit.
If the old man is down before I get the chance, I'd like to jump on the table(s) and move directly to brain the half-Orc instead, still scoping for the exit[/sblock]

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC]I'm sorry. This thread exploded while I wasn't looking.[/SBLOCK]
Daedarai prefers to keep a low profile. It makes his jobs easier if he doesn't really stand out. He sees the danger start to rise and his instinct is to bolt, but there is something that compels him. Maybe there is someway to turn this situation to his advantage.

Whatever indecision remained, flies out the window as the air begins to crackle with the feeling of magic. His associate commits himself with a cry as Daedarai slips from his chair and attempts to take advantage of whatever confusion may exist to maneuver into a position to surprise the spellcaster and hopefully gain an advantage that might end this battle quickly.

[SBLOCK=OOC]I would like to attempt to hide to gain advantage on the next attack. When combat starts, I will engage in melee with the spellcaster if I can achieve a sneak attack w/rapier (if the elf is within 5' or if I have advantage). My goal is to knock him unconscious. If that opportunity isn't available, I will focus towards whichever thug is engaged with an ally)[/SBLOCK]

Sezarious

Explorer
Initiative

20 Alejandro
10 Shen
13 Old man
9 Daedarai
7 thugs

With a ferocious determination to save this woman, Alejandro leaps into battle, swinging the spikes of his flail up, up, up, landing it deep in the old mans groin (total 19 to hit). The old man gasps as a tremendous amount of raging energy transfers from the flail into his nether-regions (roll 4+4=8 damage), causing his eyes to cross and his mouth to froth. "You'll pay for that" he choked as his face turned towards the angry little gnome.

Shen took this opportunity while the old man was distracted to throw her forehead into his face again (roll 6+3 miss), unfortunately, she just couldn't line the shot up properly as the old klutz stumbled around trying to avoid the feisty gnome at his feet.

The old man lifted back his hands and started moving them around rapidly, chanting. A flash of fluro green splashed from his fingertips towards the gnome, the majority of the attack missing, hitting the floor, you see what appears to be some sort of green liquid bubbling on the floor momentarily before vanishing (Melf's acid arrow, ranged attack at disadvantage, missed=1/2 damage=5 points damage to Alejandro).

Daedarai saw his moment. Hiding wasn't really an issue for him though. No one suspected him to be a threat. Moving around swiftly as if he were a patron looking to avoid combat by retreating to his room upstairs, he twisted around, moving rapidly towards the old man, he smacked him against the side of the head with the butt of his rapier (attack roll total 23), knocking him out cold (5+3+3=11).

The half Orc ran towards Shen, bringing his dagger down on top of her, but the clumsy oaf missed as Shen dodged to the side.

The scruffy male approached Daedarai, lunging towards him and striking (attack roll total 19), the blade sinking into his shoulder (4 points of damage)

If You thought Alejandro couldn't have gotten angrier, you'd be mistaken. After seeing the half Orc attack the woman, he left up on the table beside him and swung his flail viciously (attack roll total 23), striking him on top of the head, caving it in with a spray of blood and a wicked crunching sound.

Shen stepped towards the horrified male, smacking him in the mouth (attack roll total 14), causing him to yelp in surprise (4 damage). Daedarai moved in, slightly uncertain as to whether he needed to use lethal force, he chose the safer route, Striking the man in the temple (total attack role 21) and knocking him out, his head hitting the table on the way down (15 damage!).

Combat resolved, what do you all do?

Daedarai, you might be able to get the others to safety at the thieves guild if you wish? Maybe in exchange for information from the woman and an agreement to recruitment from the gnome.

Chest heaving, eyes burning with rage, Alejandro smashes his morning star into the Half-Orc's head again.

"Half" thud "Orc" thud "Scum" thud.

Regaining his composure, he sees the Elf standing over the old man and blinks in surprise at seeing his old forgery acquaintance having dealt with the other thug.

He looks around the room, Rage dissipated, smiling his brightest, most guileless Gnome smile and drops 2 gold pieces on the table with an apologetic "For the mess", and regards his fellow brawlers.

"Perhaps we should leave".

He clicks his tongue and Archibald scurries from his place at Alejandro's table up his arm and into his hood. Alejandro nods at Daederai as he shrugs his pack over one shoulder.

"Shall we? I know just the place."

He starts to head out the door, looking back to check they are following.

[sblock=OOC] I intend to lead us all to a place of safety, one of many boltholes I've found in my time in the Undercity. I can use my City Secrets ability to help us get away quickly. I'm not going to reveal my name in earshot of the bar patrons, so will do so as we travel[/sblock]

Macv12

First Post
"Hang on" Shen calls to her new best friend, wiping blood off her forehead and nose. "Lemme get my stuff."

Crouching to inspect the bloody mutilation that had been the old Guy's crotch, Shen whistles her sympathies. Almost to herself, she mutters "Think I am more man than you now."

She leaps across the room and up the stairs, like a kid looking forward to a sleepover, practically crashing through her door. (New team!) In a flash, she's gathered everything she owns. She carries a bow and some arrows over one shoulder, and her dusty pack over the other. (And a lead!) In one hand, she has an unadorned trident and an ancient halberd, hand-repaired and strewn with dangling ornaments. (And work!)

[sblock="OOC"]Unless it interrupts what everyone else is doing, I'll pray quickly for the dead guy, then pick up the old man to take him with us. I'll follow the others. If anyone asks why I'm taking this guy with me, I'll say I'm going to treat him

Also, after Daedarai acts but before we arrive where we're going, I'll need to ask Alejandro about the half-orc.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock="OOC"]Matthan, sorry, I need to politely keep the story moving forward, so I'm going to assume that your character hasn't decided whether to take the others back to the guild yet. Instead, he'll just follow for now, learn a little more about his new companions[/sblock]

The 3 companions and their shouldered meat sack make their way swiftly out from the outer circle, Alejandro leading them through little shortcuts, pushing through a hedge and cutting through a broken fence between a couple of old buildings, before you all find yourselves at the base of a great old oak tree in a "No-trespass" section of gardens out the back of the old courthouse.

Clambering through a bush growing between roots, it's a tight squeeze, however, after Alejandro moves a 3 layered clay, then soil, then grass "Plug" out from between the roots, you find yourselves moving through an old forgotten stormwater drain about a foot below the soil, underneath the tree. Alejandro moves down first, dragging the body of the old man with him. Each companion follows with relative ease in this secluded area, Alejandro returning to "Re-plug" the hole.

You each awkwardly clamber down an old cast iron service ladder, surrounded by tree roots and concrete blocks that are slowly constricting the space over time, reaching the bottom, which is blocked off until Alejandro shifts a heavy concrete wall out of the way, replacing it as you all move through.

Shen and Daedarai realise they're in a part of the Undercity they didn't know existed. The air here is stale. The pathways run both north and south which is fine but, they also split apart over a dozen times each way. Also through grates on the side of the wall opposite to where you've entered, you can see another, darker tunnel below with just as many turnoffs, where Alejandro confirms he has not been down to.

Alejandro has the party double back to where the air is a little sweater, but still there is nowhere in the Undercity Shen or Daedarai recognise; instead they find themselves in front of a wall of tree roots. The gnome crouches down, instructing them to crawl after him. about 30 feet in, manoeuvring around and over some roots as thick as the gnome himself, you find what look to be what remain of walls to old forgotten buildings. After a left, a right and another left through this very tight, very secluded area, you crawl through a small doorway into a little, roofless room about 20ft in diameter, tree roots tightly knotting around the outer walls, you can see up into the hollow base of a large tree trunk, a small beam of light trickling in.

[sblock="OOC"]Alejandro, could you please describe more as to what your room looks lie? Knick-Knacks, possessions, maybe a bowl of shiny things for the stream of light to hit. Does Alejandro's love for animals prevent him from having furs In his house. If not, I would allow for the floor to be covered in cheap furs. You might describe the food stocks he has. Does he keep a little jar of grain for his mouse? Are there other animals here that wish to greet him?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC]Sorry, I had a plumbing misadventure yesterday (so much water...). I'm running out to get more supplies to finish in a few minutes so I'll try to keep this short.[/SBLOCK]
As the fight finished, Daedarai caught the eye of Temak, a burly human amidst the crowd. The guild always sought to ensure that it wasn't double-crossed and provided extra, unadvertised methods to ensure the continued smoothness of their operations. Temak had been assigned to make sure that Daedarai's business went as planned after the fiasco with the Al-Karrith job a month ago. His face communicated a mountain of displeasure toward the forger.

While Alejandro and the elf gathered themselves, Daedarai made a few short motions to communicate his intention. He was asking Temak to relay to the guild what happened and that Daedarai saw a chance to gain some profit. He knew that he didn't have the good graces to take them into guild holdings on his own merit, but if the guild wanted in, they would send that message to him somehow. Temak lips curled up in disgust but gave a slight nod as Daedarai left.

Following in line behind Alejandro, Daedarai grew increasingly impressed with every twist and turn until they ended up underground in a place that was completely foreign to him. “Nice work,” he whispered, “but that man had magic. While I'm happy to take any occasion to give the FAS a black eye, we need to know what's going on and exactly who we are up against to make a plan.” Turning toward the elf, he extended his hand with a smile in an effort to build a trust, “I'm Daedarai. What was all that about back there?”

Alejandro's home is walled on the entrance side with the old stone work of the forgotten Under-Undercity buildings, a pearlescent rich sandy colour much different to the grey stone and pink marble of the upper city; the other three walls are formed by a hollow bulb of tree roots and thickly-packed earth that come from the tree above like long, thick fingers cradled to give someone a leg up.

The floor is tightly packed earth, and the furniture is a mish-mash of items scrounged, scavenged, and otherwise (ahem) liberated over the years. In the far corner he has made his bed, made of a mattress of cushions of all colours and sizes covered with a couple of warm-looking sheets.

In the middle of the room is a table that Alejandro has made by (rather cleverly, he thinks) tying an old, battered and flattened shield on top of a number of the tree roots that have curled up in the centre of the space and reach about 3' upwards. A simple three-legged stool gives him a seat that the milkmaid he stole it from won't miss, he is sure.

Around the walls, the roots split and converge. making natural shelves and nooks where he has placed a number of interesting objects - a curiously curved shell, a rich merchant's soft hat, some polished stones, some carved marble pieces from the Is'Merithi boardgame of Ta'kka, a bowl of copper with some apples in it, a couple of old skulls - human, elven, or half-orc, it's hard to tell (he found them in the Under-Undercity) - that he has carefully sawn the tops off like a pumpkin and which each contain a small cluster of candles. He has spent a great deal of time decorating these skulls in bright primary colours and old gnomish patterns to make the place seem more homely.

Draped around the walls are blankets and sheets of the brightest colours and patterns, and there are several piles of books lying around the place. He has acquired these volumes from numerous sources, and most of them he cannot read, being written in languages he does not understand.

There is a clever little fireplace with a chimney that Alejandro has spent considerable time and patience digging a channel for out through the wall and into an open cavern underground around 50' away, so as not to betray his presence to anyone above. A pile of logs and books sits next to the fireplace as kindling, and a large pot hangs in front of it.

By the entrance are two items of note: a series of strings connected to small bells and wooden knockers to warn him of anyone's approach (the group noticed some others further back before the second turning, although Alejandro guided them over these alarms in silence); and a pile of pages torn from books and a small shovel. Visitors infer that the privy is elsewhere and you get to it via the front door.

All in all, it is an incredibly homely burrow, very incongruous in its setting.

On the shield-table there is a tiny, beautifully-crafted bronze box; in the centre of the box, which lies open, is a small and intricate clockwork design in the shape of a rabbit. A small handle extends from one side of the box.

As they enter and gape at the space they find themselves in, Alejandro shuts the box and pockets it as subtly as he can, whilst bending down to greet a hedgehog at his feet that has seemingly been eating from a small plate on the floor. There are numerous other such plates scattered about. Archibald the mouse scurries down from Alejandro's head onto the shield and, on his hind legs, squeaks urgently at him.

Alejandro smiles. He drags the unconscious human over to the side of the room away from the fire and quickly lashes his hands and feet together with thick string and thin rope that he fetches from a small box on one of the "shelves".

"FAS?", he asks Daederai, "You'd best tell us more about that before he wakes up - or dies, as it may be".

He stuffs an old handkerchief in the man's mouth, loosely. The mouse squeaks again and the gnome fetches some cheese from a linen-wrapped bundle in a wicker basket tied to the ceiling. To his companions' surprise, Alejandro squeaks back to the mouse, which cocks its head and squeaks in return as it takes the cheese. You would swear it was reproaching him.

Alejandro closes the door behind them all with a swift look down the passage, then breathes out.

"Well. Here we are."

He bustles over to one of the skull-candles and lights it, placing it on the shield.

"My name is Alejandro".

"Squeak!"

"And this is Archibald, my partner in crime. This little fellow", indicating the hedgehog, "I haven't yet had the pleasure..."

It makes a snuffling, high-pitched growl and Alejandro's eyebrow raises in humour.

"Apparently this is Lord Admiral Snurfleback, and we are honoured to have such a noble hedgehog visit us today". He bows deeply and seriously, before turning his back and addressing his humanoid guests. "Hedgehogs are a bit", he whispers, making a circular motion by his head, "You know".

The gnome sits on the stool, and winces, as if noticing for the first time the acidic damage he took in the bar fight. He begins to clean his bloodied morning-star with a cloth.

"So. Daederai, I know. But, you. What's your story, girlie?", he asks, with an ironic wink and a smile. "What was that all about?"

Last edited:

Remove ads