• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It Starts (Splatbooks - Martial Power in October)

Vayden

First Post
kheris said:
I'm going to take a guess that the Monk will be in here.

No, I don't have a shred of evidence, but I really want it to have the Monk :lol:

Whereas I, as an Oriental Adventures type fanboy, am really hoping that they hold off on the Monk until they release Ki Power or some equivalent. :)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Vayden said:
Whereas I, as an Oriental Adventures type fanboy, am really hoping that they hold off on the Monk until they release Ki Power or some equivalent. :)

They have heavily hinted at a 4th Ed OA to follow quite shortly after 4th Ed’s launch.

Though if the splat-book bonanza begins, ala 'Complete Gnome Botanist Handbook' or what have you, I might just buy the yearly PHB, MM and DMG.

I think a lot of us learned our lesson from 2nd Ed…

davidthegnome

First Post
I will likely buy every splat book that comes my way. Campaign settings are the ones I am more cautious about, though I tend to buy the first book to see if I am at all interested. 9 times out of 10 though, I prefer to just run "generic" games without too much concern for the world at large letting it fill itself in as we play.

Nymrohd

First Post
I have no delusions on buying everything they publish that I find remotely interested (well it's not like I'll miss the money anyway) but I might delay buying things for a bit till I am sure I have a good grasp of the new rules. But then again, if the rules are truly intutive that will happen pretty fast

Lizard said:
A major test of a system is how well it handles expansion.

I would expand this to say that expansion is also a test of the publisher/developer, not just the system. 3.5 is a pretty good system that has almost been run into the ground with too many splatbooks. 2e AD+D was a mediocre system ( :) ) that almost killed D+D with multiple settings.

At this point, expansions and revisions are my biggest concern about 4e. I am very wary of how WotC will handle the myriad of expansions they have promised while maintaining the system, and am even more concerned about how they will handle errata and updates to the SRD. I suppose I should be glad that I'll get to see how things work out early on.

Oh, and I would also like to say that I think there is a very big difference in releasing multiple crunch expansions and multiple settings. In crunch expansions, you have to be very careful about maintaining balance with the old system while offering new, creative options. You don't want to have an arms race (i.e. the MIC), and it can be hard to balance some things when you radically change mechanics (i.e, the Warlock's unlimited casting in a Vancian world). Settings, on the other hand, allow you more mechanical flexibility (you can pretend other settings and expansions don't exist), but will fragment your customer base. One is a design level issue. The other is a sales level issue. Both can kill your game.

GlassJaw

Hero
I have no problem with WotC (or any other company) putting out a new system and then supporting that system with subsequent splatbooks and accessories. Heck, they'd be stupid not to. That's the RPG industry's business model essentially.

However, I'm not sure I want to go down that road...again. I've done it too many times already in my life. I have more systems now than I know what to do with, including a massive amount of d20 stuff.

4E could be the best thing since sliced bread but I'm certainly not enthused by the prospect of buying everything all over again (or finding more storage space!).

~Johnny~

First Post
Lizard said:
I'm annoyed we'll need to wait till October to see the new crunch. A major test of a system is how well it handles expansion.
You're in luck! Not even counting DDI, you can expect new published crunch in July:

WotC Catalog said:
H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth is a D&D adventure designed for heroic-tier characters of levels 4-6.

This product includes an adventure booklet for the Dungeon Master, a player's booklet containing new character options and campaign information, player handouts, and a full-color poster map, all contained in a handy folder.
Emphasis mine.

Agamon

Adventurer
takasi said:
We've heard of the Tome of Treasures. Now we've got Blood and Fist or Complete Warrior for 4th edition:

Martial Power

If you want to live in a world where D&D only has the core rulebooks there's a very short window to play. One advantage to being an 'early adopter' I guess.

Luckily I live in my own little world, lol. I don't care what sits in the shelf of my FLGS if it's not on my shelf. I'll be Core only for at least a year, myself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads