• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation and caster level question

prodawg

First Post
I know this topic has been addressed before and I apoligize for bring it up again for I cannot find a clear answer.

Under the description of magical items in the DMG, there is a caster level number and it also lists the prerequisites. Let's say I am a level 9 wizard, have craft wondrous items feat, and I can cast bull's strength. I want to create a belt of giant's strength. It lists caster level 10 and it goes onto list the prerequisites.
Am I to assume that the caster level is NOT a prerequisite because it is listed before it? Then if that is the case, what is the caster level for?
Thanks.

dcollins

Explorer
As Kershek pointed out, Monte now says "not a minimum on the creator" while the DMG says it is a "minimum on the creator" (p. 178).

It's probably important to note that Monte's ideas have evolved since the DMG was written. With his release of Arcana Unearthed (an alternate D&D PHB), apparently he's completed the switchover by making all spells always available for any kind of magic item at any level, with pricing modifiers given in the spell listings themselves. However, that's not how the core rules are written.

Remove ads