• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Creation - stacking costs?

naloomi

First Post
When you are creating an item, how does stacking fit in?

Examples:

According to page 282 in the DMG, under Multiple Different Abilities, it mentions that if you put an ability on an item that takes up a slot, it has a 50% increase in price.

According to page 288 in the DMG, under Body Slot Affinities, it mentions that woundrous items that don't match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than woundrous items that match the affinity.

Here is the question at hand:

For simplicity sake, let us say we have a headband of Intellect +4 (16,000 gp item). We wish to add a Dex +4 enhancement to the headband. The normal price for a +4 enhancement item would be 16,000 gp. Adding it to a slotted item increases this price by 50%, which makes that 24,000 gp. Now, does putting it on the headband slot, which does not have an affinity for Physical improvement or Quickness, increase the base price of 16,000 gp by an additional 50% or does it increase the new price of 24,000 gp by an additional 50%?

i.e. Does the item cost a grand total:
16,000 +32,000 = 48,000
OR
16,000 + 36,000 - 52,000

Does the additional item enchantment increase by 200% or by 225%??

Also, please explain why you feel this way.

Naloomi

Thanee

First Post
I'd always (since that's the general rule in D&D) use multipliers from the base (simply adding the percentages together results in this), that is 200%.

One thing I'd like to note, in this example it doesn't come up, but in case you would add a dexterity +6 ability (more expensive, than the existing one), you'd apply the first (multiple different abilities) multiplier to the int part and only the latter (body slot affinity) to the dex part.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads