• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation with no XP cost?

Phaedrus

First Post
Does anyone have a mechanic for creating items that don't cost XP? The reason I ask is that it doesn't seem fair to the spellcasters. They spend the XP (and thus level up slower), while the fighters, rogues, etc. reap the benefits.

(Is the feat to share out XP costs official, or in a 3rd party book?)

I understand the reason for the feat... to make it costly to make items so there aren't too many of them. But can't you accomplish the same objective with higher GP costs? Or is gold too easy to come by?

Am I all wet here? Whining with no reason?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There are ways to use Power Components, or other people's XP... such as Liquid Pain (BoVD), Soul Larvae (MotP or BoVD), or other very evil things.

-- N

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Phaedrus said:
Does anyone have a mechanic for creating items that don't cost XP? The reason I ask is that it doesn't seem fair to the spellcasters. They spend the XP (and thus level up slower), while the fighters, rogues, etc. reap the benefits.

Why does the wizard craft for the rest of the group? Why doesn't he charge more than cost to make up for the XP?

Phaedrus said:
I understand the reason for the feat... to make it costly to make items so there aren't too many of them. But can't you accomplish the same objective with higher GP costs? Or is gold too easy to come by?

Right now, a 2,000 gp +1 ring of protection costs 1,000 gp and 40 xp. If you drop the xp cost and raise the gp cost to 1,500 gp, it's a gimme -- you can increase your effective wealth at no cost. If it costs 2,000 gp or more, no one will take the feat or make magic items.

Without an XP cost, item creation will be problematic for wealth reasons. If you put other limits on it (power components are popular), then it might work.

Crothian

First Post
Just house rule that other people can help with the process by spending XP. They would have to do so willing and be there for the entire process.

Li Shenron

Legend
If you spend 1000gp to create a magic item whose market value is 2000gp, why do you have to sell it to another PC for 1000gp? Sell it for the full price instead!

MarauderX

Explorer
This comes up every once in a while, and feel free to use mine.

Way back in the days of Original D&D, XP was actually earned for attempting magic item creation, as sometimes there were hefty risks involved. I am bringing it back that way, as a caster spends more money on better materials and takes more time to get the creation correct. I incorporated a percentage roll that allowed for a good chance of failure if the wizard was in a hurry or the material wasn't pure, etc. This is the formula that I have developed and will use:

(50%x Base cost factor) + (INT mod)x2 + (Caster Level)x2 + (1 per day of preparation/Spell level) – (Item creation level).

The base cost factor would be 1.0 if the normal cost was spent, and 0.005 per 1% over/under the cost spent. So for example it would be 0.95 if only 90% of the cost was spent, 1.05 if 110% of the cost was spent, and so on. A maximum of 200% of the cost is the cap for a base cost factor of 1.5.

A few examples -
1st level wizard, 11 INT, 1 day, normal cash to scribe a scroll of sleep(1st level):
(50%x1)+0+2+(1/1) = 53%
Not too good, but not the best wizard either.

18th level wizard, 20 INT, 20 days, -10% cash to scribe a scroll of fireball:
(50%x0.95)+10+36+(20/3) = 100+%

Now say that same 18th level wizard tries creating the same scroll in 1 day:
(50%x0.95)+10+36+(1/3) = 100+%

Keep in mind a roll of 00 (100%) is an automatic failure no matter what the bonuses, and 01 (1%) is automatic success no matter the penalties.

Consequences of failure could be nothing, or could result explosions, fires, or other magically produced effects that may result in a character’s death, disintegration, or even possible subservience to a creature from the outer planes. Any failure side effects will pertain to the item researched, so trying to create a wand of magic missles may run the risk of damage and a ring of summon monster just might get you enslaved by the monster if done wrong.

tauton_ikhnos

First Post
I don't remember where I saw this: drop the XP cost, divide by 5 and replace with "days".

So a longsword +2 would not cost XP to craft, but would take 64 days of wizard's labor! Depending on economy, this would change prices somewhat, however. In my GM's world, a guildsman wizard can expect to be paid 50 gp per day of his services, so hiring him to make a longsword +2 would cost 7,200 gp (4,000 gp in materials, 3,200 gp in labor).

Stalker0

Legend
tauton_ikhnos said:
I don't remember where I saw this: drop the XP cost, divide by 5 and replace with "days".

So a longsword +2 would not cost XP to craft, but would take 64 days of wizard's labor! Depending on economy, this would change prices somewhat, however. In my GM's world, a guildsman wizard can expect to be paid 50 gp per day of his services, so hiring him to make a longsword +2 would cost 7,200 gp (4,000 gp in materials, 3,200 gp in labor).

Considering how long it takes to craft items anyway... I'd say this is a bad solution in most cases. PC wizards have enough problems finding the time to craft items and this would just make it worse.

AnthonyJ

First Post
Essentially, crafting of magic items has to have a significant 'cost' to the wizard, or it just becomes a license to print money.

An obvious option for the wizard PC is, when creating items for other PCs, simply charge them extra for the xp cost.

Another option is to allow spending extra gold to offset the xp cost. 5 gp per xp (which brings the cost of a created magic item up to 70% of list) is probably a reasonable rate.

Nifelhein

First Post
Phaedrus,

I have bought, some months ago, the Artificer's Handbook, by Mystic Eye games, the leading designer on it can be found here on the boards, his nickname is die_klunge.

The book gives you some options for the Xp cost, in fact it presents at least 5 different ´possibilities that can be either used alone or worked together, as you prefer.

The book is very good and also has info on some strange materials, in herbs and gems, giving them an entry for lore (use in real world), description and what it can be used for in D&D.

I love the book, it gives some rules for using armor pieces and how to make the calculations for AC, check penalty and Max dex for the parts and the group, and some rules for using power gems in magical item,s thus you could equip it in an armor, in a sword or in a shield, for example.

A good book that is the standard for magical item creation in my games. Aside from making this small advertisement (for which I will be receiving nothing), the book has turned out to be mroe than worthy the money.

it is paperback, the illustrations inside are not very good. A good adition to anyone's library, specially to those who liked the old item creation method better than the 3rd edition one, and also fro those who want to create new and methods.

Chekc out ENWorld reviews on it, that made my mind on buying it. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads