• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

item creation

Talon5

First Post
Need a little help here.

I am GMing a 3.0 campaign, and I have created and item without know what spells would be necassary to create it. Need an idea of what level the wizard/creater should be and what spells he would need.

The item is- a bracelet or anklet which is placed on victuims. Break the bracelet or leave and area and the an Small Elemental (Air, water, Earth or Fire) comes out and kills the wearer. Once dead the elemental is free and splits for its home turf.

Ideas and suggestions please.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Talon5 said:
Need a little help here.

I am GMing a 3.0 campaign, and I have created and item without know what spells would be necassary to create it. Need an idea of what level the wizard/creater should be and what spells he would need.

The item is- a bracelet or anklet which is placed on victuims. Break the bracelet or leave and area and the an Small Elemental (Air, water, Earth or Fire) comes out and kills the wearer. Once dead the elemental is free and splits for its home turf.

I'd say you can just have the spell necessary for creation be Summon Monster III, since that summons a small elemental. As for caster level, probably at least 5 (to cast a 3rd level spell), maybe a little higher if you want.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I wouldn't allow anyone my game to make this without putting a contingency into it. It's obviously a contingent effect, and a summon monster effect - or even Gate, if the elemental is powerful enough.

I would make it use-activated, single-charge Contingency, use-activated, single-charge summon monster (of whatever level is appropriate).

Talon5

First Post
I thank you both for your response. Sorry- I guess I was unclear on what I was looking for.

Aside from the Summon Monster Spell and the required Wizard/Cleric/etc levels to cast the spell how would I go about making the item? What feats, or other spells or...... would the person creating it need.

Thank you once again :)

Talon5 said:
Need a little help here.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Using the core rules, he'd need craft wondrous item, and have access to the spells summon monster (of the appropriate level), and contingency.

Do yourself a favor, however, and pick up Mystic Eye Games' Artificer's Handbook. Makes magic item creation much, much easier.

Staffan

Legend
Not so sure contingency is needed. If you required that, any magical trap would also require it (except for single-spell ones like glyph of warding), and I don't think they do. The process of making a magic item replaces the need for contingency in most cases.

Anabstercorian

First Post
die_kluge said:
Using the core rules, he'd need craft wondrous item, and have access to the spells summon monster (of the appropriate level), and contingency.

Do yourself a favor, however, and pick up Mystic Eye Games' Artificer's Handbook. Makes magic item creation much, much easier.

At least tell people you WROTE the thing when you're pimping it. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads