• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Durability

Midnight Dawns

First Post
In my next campaign I was wanting to factor in teh damage weapons and armor would take during combat. Does anyone know exactly know where the rules for such are located or able to give them?
Thanks in advance.

There are none. If you wanted one that wouldn't destroy the game as is, you could cause a Fort save from every weapon used during a battle, DC 10 + # of battles between repairs. Failure causes -1 hardness and - 25% HP. A successful repair resets everything to zero.

Sejs

First Post
There arn't any.

General maintenance is one of those assumed actions that takes place during downtime. Much like using the restroom or tying your shoes.

Stalker0

Legend
Quick and Easy way, say a weapon takes so much damage when you roll a natural 1. You really don't want to get too deep with the bookkeeping.

zlorf

First Post
None at the moment. You would have to work out your own system, one that wouldn't make doing so tedious.

I would start with weapons and armours.
You could start with hardness and how many hitpoint a item has and give out tokens to each player to represent the hardness & hitpoints (see p158 PHB - sunder rules)

ie Longsword would have 15 (hardness+HPs)

After each battle if the player was involved in combat ask them to give you a 1 weapon token.

Armour is a bit tricker, you have hardness, but hit point are worked out on page 166 table 9-9. You will probably have to make your own table. Same as weapons, if the player got hit during the battle, then the player hands you 1 armour token.

The issue with all this is that the rules allow Adamantine to cut through anything, but when your in a fight it does 0 damage to armor, when in theory it should be cutting it to shreads.

Its a start (im sure with plenty of if and buts), if you go with my idea and flesh it out and improve it, I would be interest in what you end up with and how it plays out in your campaign

All the best
Z

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads