• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Requires ___ to Use

Arcadio

First Post
From the SRD:

Other Considerations: Once you have a final cost figure, reduce that number if either of the following conditions applies:
-Item Requires Skill to Use: Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.
-Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use: Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the cost by 30%.

Is there more to this than I see here, or is it just that simple? When creating an item can you simply make it Wizard only and cut 30% off of the base price? Can you make it Wizard only and require the Spellcraft skill to get 30% and 10% off, and if so, how would those stack?

This is probably a stupid question, but it seems like something like this would be covered in more than just a couple footnotes.

Thanks for the help!

Magic Item Creation should always be done under DM supervision. I don't think a wizard should get a 30% rebate on the cost of an item he's making because only good people can use it (since everyone in the party is probably good anyway).

The same wizard, IMO, COULD get a rebate when he tries to by that item "used". "You want that cloak? I'm only charging 1800 gold for it, since it don't work for everyone..."

AR

Spatzimaus

First Post
Take this one point at a time.

1> Those cost guidelines are only GUIDELINES, for the DM to ballpark an item cost when inventing some new toy for his campaign. If the value of the item is clearly higher than what the guidelines suggest, it's the DM's responsibility to set an appropriate price.
For example, the classic 3.0 abuse was an item (let's say gloves) that cast Cure Minor Wounds at will. Only 900 gp by the list rules, and yet it was superior to a Ring of Regeneration (at 100 times the cost) since it could be used on other people, only needed Craft Wondrous Item, could heal damage taken after the fact, and didn't need to use a slot during combat (you could put them on afterwards). Clearly, then, 900 gp just wouldn't be a balanced price.

2> Players don't invent items/spells. They tell the DM what they want to research, the DM decides if there's a "research cost", and tells the player what the final item will cost IF he even decides to allow that item in the first place. Maybe he changes the abilities, maybe he tells the player that he'll only allow it under certain conditions.
So, if the player said "I want to invent a pair of boots that casts Haste at will, but is only usable by Neutral Good Human Wizards with 10 ranks of Spellcraft", I'd say "Well, your research tells you that only a Ring can hold that much power, the caster level has to be at least 12, and you can't find a way to add those limits to the formula".

3> Several developers have made this comment, although I can't give a link. Basically, that those skill/class/alignment cost reductions are for items added to a campaign's general population; items designed for a specific person shouldn't have the reduction since if anything, it's an ADVANTAGE to have your items be unusable to thieves and looters.
The problem with this is, creating a magic item costs a certain amount of gold, XP, and time, so it's not consistent.

The best suggestion I've seen was that these cost reductions apply to the market price in a store but have no effect on creation costs. Or, toss the whole discount thing altogether.

Last edited:

Hecateus

First Post
This ruling can have some beneifts, such as:

Lowers the price to buy when used on stock magic items.

Again Wizards will gripe less when asked to make magic toys for tema mates.

If used often enough, encourages the Rogue characters to get Use Magic Device skill ranks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
It also makes found loot less valuable to sell back.

"Sorry, I can only give you 900gp for this cloak... only sorcerers with Knowledge (history) can use it..."

"Dammit! I bet all of that sorcerer's items were made like this!"

Lord Pendragon

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
It also makes found loot less valuable to sell back.

"Sorry, I can only give you 900gp for this cloak... only sorcerers with Knowledge (history) can use it..."

"Dammit! I bet all of that sorcerer's items were made like this!"
This, actually, is how I rule it. You get no discount when you're making an item that is restricted. The restriction is, in a way, like a security feature that you get for free if you so choose. i.e. the evil monk won't be able to use your vorpal falchion even if he disarms you, because he isn't a Good elf fighter.

But when you go to sell things, the sale price of the vorpal falchion gets reduced, because it can only be sold to Good elf fighters.

pawsplay

Hero
I don't know. A good-only item is less useful for the CN Rogue in the group. A musical instrument is less useful if it requires ranks in Perform, or Bard abilities. If the requiremet makes sense, it should reduce the market price, and likewise reduce the creation cost.

If, however, the restriction is arbitrary, like a +1 flaming longsword that requires you to be good, or a belt that increases strength but requires knowledge (history & nobility), it's probably going to be difficult, if not impossible, to research. If possible, it should add to the price, by about 1000 gp I'd say. Selling the item, you would only be able to get full price if you are selling to someone who can use it, otherwise, a Diplomacy check might be required to get them to take it off your hands at all, even at a discount.

MerakSpielman

First Post
The party selling such an item to the local magic shop would not be able to get full price for it - not because the item is less useful, but because the merchant will have a harder time finding a buyer. It's the "do you know how much trouble I'm going to have to go through to unload this thing" syndrome. However, when said merchant finally finds a buyer, he will charge at least full price for the item, since the buyer will be able to get full use out of the item, and he might charge more, because the item is less likely to be stolen or used against the buyer in some way.

pawsplay

Hero
Basically, it should be slightly less expensive than making it intelligent to slap arbitrary restrictions on it, since it can't make judment calls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads