• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item stories

Tangent Loki

First Post
Ever made an item that just put your players in wonder, and that they lusted to own. Or just something really cool? Here's the place to tell your tales about the most exciting hmbrew items that you have ever created, or failing that, that you've seen.

First me;

One fateful day in a homebrew campaign I was using a legion of undead. I needed the servants of the undead lord to have something to protect them, something to help in combat, something that even a wizard could use. From this was born the bag of zombies. (I have the game Zombies!!! and so have the zombies to drop on the map) Think about a bag of animals. Then get rid of the animals. Or as I first did it. Take 6-12 corpses. Cast shrink itemx2 (or shink/increased duration reduce) then animate them. But the tiny zombies in a bag. Throw it. When it hits the ground 6-12 uncontrolled combies burst out of the bag and attack all in range. Insta wall! Instant enemine! Random Enounter! The second the player saw that the appentice had at least one more they went after him with all possible haste to aquire just one of these great bags. So much fun. More fun than a well... Bag of Zombies!

Another Item I created for fun was the goblin stick of wonder. A 3' stick decorated with feathers and dreamcatchers and shells and sparkly rocks and all sorts of junk. When it hit someone they make a will save. If they fail roll 1d6
1 Permanently red
2 permanently blue
3 Permanently YEllow
4 Permanetly Purple
5 Permanetly green
6 -- another radom effect roll percentile
01-50 permanently 1d5
50-60 Speak with animals
60-70 1d4 gems fall out
70-80 1d6 lightning damage
81-82 Summon a t-rex you do not control
83-84 opposed will saves loser becomes a mouse for 2d6 rounds
85-00 you (user) shrink by 50%

They didn't understand when a goblin slowly ventured up and tapped one of them. Thy threw the stick back. The goblins ambushed them down the beach. The shaman with the stick hit a player.

me; You turn blue
Player :confused: Really?
me; yes
they went through so much to get that stick. then they fought over it then one tried hiting another player to run through the spectrum it was hilarious.

Another set of tiems was in the church of istica; the plumed wonder

A collection plate with suggestion donate
A podium with chrm person
A mural on the back wall that suggestioned them to stay and listeen to your friend preach. It was a church of wizards who were extorting money from players. Of course all of the wizards and "clerics" of the church were very pompous, a guady. And then when a player fell to the will saves was priceless. Especially when the monk kept failing will saves and had no money. He just sat their, as an addition the place was protected by a massive sanctuary spell, to keep these "clerics" safe from anyone that resisted the much more minor suggestions.

Feel free to post your own here as well maybe we can idea share and get some really great, really kooky items to use...

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
A small silver serving bell that casts prestidigitation

The Sword of normallity -
It looks like a pointed crowbar.
+2 Bane Psudeonatural, detects Katori
it gives +5 ranks Proffession Farmer and Innkeeper and uses empathy to communicate.
Its goal is really to get the wielder to settle down and become a normal member of the community. The dwarf paladin hasn't got the hang of it yet and has declared that each Inn they stay at is either approved or disapproved by Moridin.

Most Hated Item Ever -
a wand of Cat's Grace with a 15% chance of screaming loudly
"Not in the Face!" Were all gonna Die! or just " AHHHGGG" each time it is used
multiple players have disscussed the joy they would get from breaking the thing into little itty bitty bits -
they have used 26 charges - found it at 48

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads