• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item to hide identity?

sullivan

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
Darn, I was hoping there was something that would fit my need, though it appears that something which blocked True Seeing would be very expensive. Even Superior Invisibility the 9th level spell in Complete Arcane? can be seen with a True Seeing.

The True Seeing text says it negates ALL illusions. That reads to me even those ones that can cause damage, disability, or death like Color Spray et al. *shrug*

Yeah, I've put ranks into Disguise. Polymorphing, I believe, gives a bonus to disguise checks. True seeing would negate this additional bonus, correct?

Actually worse, they would [likely] judge (<-- EDITED: for better word choice) the polymorph for what it is, someone trying to look like something else. This would be bad as they would be automatically suspicious of the mundane aspects as well. Depending on differences in body shapes the DM might also rule that any mundane prothsetics and such from a disguse kit would hang weirdly before them making it apparent that a further disguse was being used.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
I have to take issue with your presumption that True Seeing in any way negates mundane disguises:

SRD said:
True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means.

Davek

First Post
ONe of the characters in my campaign has an amulet that prevents scrying. It also has some hidden 'features' and is capable of defending itself from identification and such. When subject to any type of identifying magic, it triggers an antimagic zone around itself.

The character not knowing this, brought it to a mages guild to get it identified. Needless to say, some quick talking was needed to reassure the mages that it wasn't some kind of pre-emptive strike on them.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
I was wondering if there is an item to prevent spells like true seeing or whatever to see through the spell Polymorph so I can keep my character's identity hidden. Thanks. :)

Not on topic at all, but Kuga Natsuki! One of my favorite chracters from My/Mai Hime.

sullivan

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
I have to take issue with your presumption that True Seeing in any way negates mundane disguises:

It doesn't directly negate a mundane disguise. However when they see through the magical portion of the disguse that is likely to alert them that something is afoot. The conciquences of that could indirectly lead to uncovering the mundane disguise because of the heightened scrutiny.

It's a bit like an invisible creature leaving tracks. The Track feat doesn't negate the invisibility, but it can still alert you to the presence invisible creature and possibily it's location via Tracking or even other skills like Listening or casting Invisibility Purge, etc.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
sullivan said:
The True Seeing text says it negates ALL illusions. That reads to me even those ones that can cause damage, disability, or death like Color Spray et al. *shrug*

Well, no, it says you 'see through illusions'. Not that illusions are negated.

True Seeing won't let you speak in a Silence spell; it won't protect you from the 20% reality of a Shadow Evocation Fireball (though I'd call it an auto-save on the disbelief); and likewise, I'd rule that Color Spray has normal effect. Knowing that Color Spray is an illusion doesn't protect you from its effect.

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Nondetection isn't thwarted by true seeing. True seeing is still a divination, and makes no mention of defeating abjurations (which is what nondetection is)...

sullivan

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Nondetection isn't thwarted by true seeing. True seeing is still a divination, and makes no mention of defeating abjurations (which is what nondetection is)...

It's just that Nondetection does not explicitly mention thwarting True Seeing. But I guess it does say "divination spells such as" so that is an incomplete list. It's just that True Seeing is sort of different than that list though still a Divination. This might be a holdover from a previous D&D version stuck in my mind. *shrug* That certainly would be nice to force a caster check for the True Seeing.

Well, no, it says you 'see through illusions'. Not that illusions are negated.

True Seeing won't let you speak in a Silence spell; it won't protect you from the 20% reality of a Shadow Evocation Fireball (though I'd call it an auto-save on the disbelief); and likewise, I'd rule that Color Spray has normal effect. Knowing that Color Spray is an illusion doesn't protect you from its effect.

-Hyp.

Good point about the Shadow sub-class of spells as they have a quasi-real component to them. However I would still rule that seeing through Color Spray would mean that it doesn't affect you. I suppose the ruling could go either way there though. *shrug*

StealthyMark

First Post
As said already: Disguise

Dog_Moon2003 said:
I was wondering if there is an item to prevent spells like true seeing or whatever to see through the spell Polymorph so I can keep my character's identity hidden.

Just maximize your Disguise bonus :)
- At least one level in a class with Disguise as class skill.
- Maximum ranks.
- An item which grants a big bonus on Disguise, like +20 or +30.
- High Charisma.
- An item which enhances Charisma.
- A masterwork disguise kit.

Kurotowa

Legend
sullivan said:
It could be argued that True Seeing is a "defense". It at least shades apon the catagory of defensive spell.

That was also my line of thinking. True Seeing is a defense against illusions and magical disguises, and a fairly specific one at that. A counter to a defensive spell, the most powerful spell I know of with that type of effect, ought not to be something easily obtained.

Remove ads