• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"It's a joke name, sir."

Brimshack

First Post
My brother in law is named Waites. He named his child Livio, so my sister filled in the middle name, Brian.

HWith the initials of L.B., my nephew is a 1 pound weight.

Last edited:

I had a PC create a private investigator for Call of Cthulhu. Dick Longfellow (yeah, not terribly original, even as a joke name). He even had a tagline, of sorts: "Don't worry, sweetheart, when you need your own private dick, just ask for Mr. Longfellow..."

I actually let him use Dick Longfellow for a while before he was horribly mangled.

brehobit

Explorer
Rika said:
I once met a woman named Barbara Doll. Poor woman was in her 40s at the time.

Our worst in-game name was just weird. A fairly new player to our group once named his druid "Frog" his first spoken words to any of the characters were croaks.
In a "variant earth" game we had a Frenchman who was called "The Frog"...

Andor

First Post
megamania said:
Recently I had a player insist on naming his Thri-kreen "Bob".

The poor guy- as a Thri-kreen he couldn't even pronounce his own name.

That reminds me of the Wookie with a speech impediment.

atomn

Explorer
Mark said:
"...he goes with "Phil McKraken"...

I actually went to high school with a Phil McKracken!

I agree with the people who say that goofy names ruin what would otherwise be a serious game. But I was unintentionally guilty of it once. My friends and I were at a convention and stopped by the games hall to watch over a Star Wars game that was going on. The players invited us to join them so we did and were given some pre-made NPC soldiers to play. The game itself had a long history (being played every year at that convention for the past several years) so the regular players were doing all of the roleplaying while my friends and I were sitting around waiting for our NPC's scene to start. So to goof around with my friends I made up a silly name, thinking it'd be a joke just between us. Eventually the climatic battle happened and it turned out that I was the only Imperial able to survive and limb back to the home base. There I got to roleplay getting dressed down by our very in-character Imperial general.

"You retreated?? You're a sorry excuse for an Imperial! What's your name, soldier?"

"Greedo Calrissian, sir!"

It was priceless to see the player break character. And then promptly have me executed for desertion. Good times, good times...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads