• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

its a matter of taste, but..mystara or greyhawk?

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
I suppose it's worth asking what ruleset you're going to run it with (as, by default, Greyhawk would be the AD&D world and Mystara the Classic), but you can make either world work with any ruleset really, so that's more out of curiosity.

If you're picking up Classic stuff, may I recommend simply using the Known World map from the Expert Set (either one)? Mystara as detailed in the GAZ series has a lot of fans, but there's a lot to be said for just taking the barely-there detail level presented in the blue book and running with it. (Believe me, as a long-time Forgotten Realms fan, it's refreshing not to have any canon to trip over.) If you get the Mentzer version, you even get a cool frontier town (Threshold), lightly detailed, as a starting point.

In the end, whichever you go with, keep this in mind: If there's a module you want to run, and it wasn't technically designed for the world you're using? Just stick it in. One of the main advantages of using the Expert Set version of the Known World (AKA Mystara), or the Folio version of World of Greyhawk, is that you get only the broadest strokes filled in, so you have all the room in the world to install your own stuff. Just my 2cp. ;)

Klaus

First Post
While I got started in Greyhawk (and I used to know the City of Greyhawk like the back of my hand, thanks to that wonderful boxed set), I'll say Mystara.

But that's only because of Red Steel!

Mystaros

First Post
Nellisir said:
I'd totally vote for Mysthawk, or Greytara, where the elves of Alfheim battle the forces of Iuz and Ivid the Undying schemes to fold Karameikos back into the Great Kingdom.

Edit: Ok, I said this on sort of a whim, but looking at a map of Mystara, it would totally work. Replace Thyatis and Ylarium with the GK and the south, Iuz in Thar, the Wolf & TIger Nomads in Ethengar, and you're pretty much set. I think you can figure out where to put the Frost/Snow/Ice Barbarians.

Ahem...

http://www.pandius.com/mystghmp.jpg

S'mon

Legend
I think the feel of B2 Keep on the Borderlands is much closer to that of the 1983 World of Greyhawk than to Mystara, unsurprising since EGG wrote both. I like both worlds a lot but I would run B2 in Greyhawk, if I wasn't using it in my homebrew world.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Well, it depends on what material you plan on using for each setting.

I would take the:

-1983 GH boxed set + modules published up until 1985 over
-"The Known World + X1" from the 1981 Expert boxed set, which I would take over
-Mystara as defined in GAZ 1 only, which I would take over
-Mystara as defined by all the GAZ series, which I would take over
-Mystara as defined by the GAZ series + PC1-4 + the post RC add ons (Voyage of the Princess Ark, etc..), which I would take over
-Greyhawk as defined by all 1e/2e product up until the late 2e era "Return of GH" stuff, which I would take over
-the 3e Living Greyhawk stuff

I like the framework both the 83 boxed set and KW+X1 provide, without the extra stuff. The Gaz series has some neat stuff to be sure, but I don't like all of it. Same with the post 85 GH material (well, just about anything after T1-4). I really do not like care for the 2e City, Ruins of Greyhawk, etc... stuff, and actively dislike the late 2e material (Doomgrinder, et al).

So there you go. Hope that is enough for you to grok the basis of my opinion: I like a framework, with room to grow.

EDIT: Just re-read my post. You'd think I'm getting paid for every time I use "stuff"...sorry about that...

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Mystara definitely has less baggage... and Red Steel rocks! Voyage articles give a great little overview of areas you could craft adventures in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads