• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Almost the Season for WOTC layoff!

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
It's almost the time for WOTC's annual pre-Christmas layoffs. I wonder who will get the axe this year? Methinks that things are probably pretty 'interesting' there these days based on these recent developments:

- The change in direction for 4E marked by the release of Essentials
- The schedule shift and subsequent mad rush to get Gamma World released
- The end of the Star Wars license
- The remarkably light release schedule for the next six months or so.
- The failure to update Character Builder and the transition to 'online tools'

Dausuul

Legend
I share the impulse to snark about WotC's lunatic HR practices (on the D&D side, anyway), but this seems in rather poor taste, not to say ghoulish.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Meh, certainly anyone that joined WotC within the past few years joined knowing that their jobs were about as stable [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce-PQqkIXe0&feature=related]as...[/ame] If the annual layoff threads have taught me anything, it's that most of the laid off are still happy they worked at WotC for "the experience" of being with the biggest RPG company. Layoffs still suck, but I'm not going to feel that bad when something happens that was so blatantly obviously coming.

EDIT: Wanted to hyperlink the word "as..." to the video without actually embedding it. Guess you can't do tha'.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
This is 100% tasteless.
Why is this tasteless? As far as I can see:

1. WOTC do traditionally have an annual round of pre Xmas layoffs
2. Everybody who works there must know this (as do we)
3. The factors listed in post 1 may make this year more interesting, or maybe not

This situation not very pleasant for those who lose their jobs - agree 100%; this thread tasteless - not so sure.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Since they restructured earlier in the year to create two separate teams, maybe the "layoffs" from the D&D-RPG have already taken place (as it's a leaner team now, IIRC).

Besides, I think they were hiring for one of the teams a short while ago.

Maybe they will be spared this year....

Dausuul

Legend
Why is this tasteless? As far as I can see:

1. WOTC do traditionally have an annual round of pre Xmas layoffs
2. Everybody who works there must know this (as do we)
3. The factors listed in post 1 may make this year more interesting, or maybe not

This situation not very pleasant for those who lose their jobs - agree 100%; this thread tasteless - not so sure.

It's tasteless because it's speculating about real people, many of whom read these forums, losing their livelihoods in the midst of the worst economic downturn in decades. "Who will get the axe this year?" is making light of that very real and personal suffering.

[Edited to remove incendiary and overly hostile statement.]

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

It has been noted that some of the worst conflict and bad blood we get on these forums recently comes not from discussing games, but from discussing the business of games. The moderation staff thinks this trend runs rather counter to what the site stands for, so we aren't likely to put up with much nastiness in here.

Take that as a warning - play nice in this thread, please.

Thanks for your time and attention.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Only time will tell. If the Essentials line, and 4E in general, is doing as well as we are led to believe, then may haps this year the cycle will be broken. After all, we are heading into the holidaze and that may help with how they have aimed to market the Red Box and accompaniments.

But too, with the economy where it is, it really is a gamble.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It could be tasteless, but it is a regular cycle that has went on for years and years.

Layoffs that may have been related to the big shift in strategy, and there was one, are already over with. And a lot of people involved in 08 D&D have already been let go.

Essentials may matter now, in the sense that strong sales may help with staff retention. Or vice-versa.

(Also, James Wyatt would seem to be in the most danger of anyone we have heard of).

Remove ads