It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like RAVENLOFT

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

ravenloft-strahd.jpg

In response to comments about Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman, Merwin said "You like that kind of stuff? I get misty-eyed about it myself."

Of course, none of this is conclusive. But it's hard not to think that - if not Ravenloft itself - something Ravenloft-inspired is coming with the next D&D storyline.

They went on to discuss Baldman Games' (hosts of Winter Fantasy) announcements about D&D events at the convention in February. Regarding the Epic adventure being used to launch the upcoming season, which will debut at that convention, they have the following exchange:

Shawn Merwin: ...if you're into D&D at all, or if you're into Adventurer's League specifically, you will not want to miss.

Christopher Sniezak: I hear there may be blood and stakes involved?

Shawn Merwin: It's definitely possible.

It sounds a little to me like they have discussed this subject in more detail off-air. Whatever the case, these are not the first "gothic" hints we've gotten - it's certainly Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ravenloft, as Bing Crosby once famously sang.

If you want to listen to the full podcast, click here or on Strahd up above.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd be excited if the mists come get ya! And as long as they remain faithful to the RL tone and feel (dark powers who encourage dark behavior that is definitely Not Things Heroes Do; suspicious townsfolk; brooding, omnipresent bad guys), it could be quite solid!

If they're like "Play a dracula and a werewolf and fight the frankenstien mummy," less cool, but that's my hyperbolic paranoia talking. ;)

darjr

I crit!
Yea this sounds awesome. So who are all the vampires in the APs released to date? Something may give clue by fours there too.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Nice tease about the upcoming storyline, blue balled us until then I guess - Can't wait for the release! :)

I've always enjoyed Ravenloft and I was hoping it would be touched upon in 5th edition.

darjr

I crit!
For those that want more news, fyi, sustained buzz about this news may go some way to WotC loosening their tongue.

Remove ads

Remove ads