• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's official...

Ryujin

Legend
A little bit more content to your assertion, perhaps?

There's very little directed to the Fey Pact. There are two generic Paragon Paths and one for Fey that seems somewhat at odds with the direction that a Feylock tends to go, by design. That just reinforces my opinion that I'll have to take a second Pact at Paragon. I think that it's shiny newness syndrome. The new Pact seems fairly well fleshed out.

Hammerhead

Explorer
/agree with Victim.

The Feylock is the Diet Coke of Warlocks. It's the Warlock for people who want to hug bunnies instead of setting them on fire, people who don't want to make any real sacrifice for their power (and you get what you pay for, b/c the Feylock excels solely at teleporting).

You can make pacts with the forces of hell, unknowable entities of madness, or...the courts of the fey? One of these things is not like the other, methinks.

Stogoe

First Post
Sounds like some people have bought into the Disney-fication of the "Fair" Folk. Changeling: The Lost should set you straight on the horror of Faerie.

Valesin

First Post
A little bit more content to your assertion, perhaps?

Actually, WotC clearly hates warlocks, but it hates the feylock even more than the other warlocks. How come the rogue gets a paragon path that increases the crit range of all its powers and the warlocks paragon paths increase it on powers with rare keywords? How come the rogue and ranger get to improve their extra damage dice and the 'lock doesn't? The sorcerer gets a bonus on every single damage roll regardless of how many targets or when in the round the target takes the damage; the 'lock gets bonus damage once per round, period. The warlock is supposed to be striker but sucks against solos because they do crappy damage but have rider effects against which solos save 80% of the time.

As for why the feylock sucks even worse than the other 'locks:
first level enounters: all do multiple dice of damage and have rider effects except for the feylock one which does one die of damage. The "bonus" you get for being fey pact is that the range is 10...but all the other powers have a range 10 for free.

Level one dailies: the powers that use Cha are weaker then the ones that use con.

Encounter 3: not bad, except that the range is again 5, something that almost no warlock power has had up until this point.

Daily 5: here the cha powers are better than the con powers. I am shocked

daily 9: terrible damage for the fey powers with useless riders (ooh, i can end the damage and slide the target? really??)

daily 15: huh, there isn't even a new power here for the feylock. too bad

that's as far as I have gotten. Oh, and the coolest thing about the feylock, the teleporting? every single class in PHB2 except the barbarian now has more and better teleporting effects.

Valesin

First Post
And yes, the above only examines Arcane Power. That is because the feylock was so clearly the weakest PHB striker that I thought it might get some love in AP to make it playable. Instead, it is clearly supposed to die a slow and unmourned death.

Remove ads