• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's time WotC fill us in on their digital initiative

johnnype

First Post
All this rampant speculation by people (including myself) on this and other message boards is getting a bit ridiculous. I get that this is the internet and such "debate" (for lack of a better word) is normal but I don't see WotC's continued silence as helping them at all. We know almost nothing about what the digital initiative will entail and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see too many people being optimistic about it. Remaining silent is working against Wizards. It's time they showed their cards even if the final product is months away.

Just a thought.

EricNoah

Adventurer
On the other hand ... they showed a lot of their cards on Master Tools months, (years?) ahead of time. But the time never came. That ended up causing its own share of heartaches and headaches.

Shroomy

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
On the other hand ... they showed a lot of their cards on Master Tools months, (years?) ahead of time. But the time never came. That ended up causing its own share of heartaches and headaches.

But what about the Dragon and Dungeon like content? WoTC could have easily produced sample material, either in house or by the freelancers.

EricNoah

Adventurer
One could argue they've done that for years -- the free adventures, the free articles, etc.

What's not clear is how it's all going to be packaged; and how the end of the eTools license fits into this.

Crothian

First Post
I think it is far too entertaining to see people just make up things to complain about. So, hopefully, Wizards will not reveal any true information for a while.

Solauren

Explorer
Maybe some programmers that actually now how to make a database program (that's all a Character Generator or DM Tool Set is) actually approached them and are doing things now.

Can't be any worse then E-Tools is/was, or PC-GEn or any of the others are/were.

(And yes, I'm qualified to critizize them all.)

I'm hoping the digitial initiative is what Master Tools should have been

An interactive tool set/character creater in lines with the potiental the old Core Rules 2.0 Expansion program could have been, for D20 System rules, with customization of rules possible.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Step 1: Go to Wizards' site.
Step 2: Read the years of archives of free adventures, errata, sneak peeks, minis scenarios, entire small supplements disguised as 'web enhancements,' etc.
Step 3: Profit!

Seriously, the basic e-zine type content on Wizards site is already there to see, and it's been outstanding for years. Their d20 system games (D&D, d20 Modern, Star Wars and the two d20 minis games, Star Wars Minis and D&D Minis) collectively get a magazine's worth of content every month already. Likely add what you get from Dragon to that (most of the writers being the same). I'm not sure how much they'll expand the adventures.

Wizards' site for their flagship product, Magic the Gathering has two magazine-suitable articles published every weekday. If they have that amount of content on the d20 side when the new version goes up, it will be well worth buying.

That's why I'm enthused about the prospects of this move - half the time, Wizards has been pumping out better content for free on their site than they put in their books. If they can expand on that, maybe get the regularity in the d20 side they have in the Magic side, complete with theme weeks, their site could be the most spectacular gaming resource around.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Solauren said:
Can't be any worse then E-Tools is/was.

I beg to differ. It could be quite a bit worse. Not because eTools is great, mind you. But if it's incomplete/buggy AND I don't have the ability to tweak the data to my heart's content (within reason)... then yeah, it could be a lot worse.

Blessed Kitten

First Post
Solauren said:
Maybe some programmers that actually now how to make a database program (that's all a Character Generator or DM Tool Set is)

Okay. So I can just install SQL on my machine and I've got a character generator? I think an interface of some kind might also be required. Designing a program that is powerful, customizable and easy to use is not trivial.

(And yes, I'm qualified to critizize them all.)
This is an unsupported assertion.

I'm hoping the digitial initiative is what Master Tools should have been
Don't forget, it also needs to include content equivalent to or better than Dragon and Dungeon to satisfy many people.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If I were they, I'd release a statement to the effect of "While it would be premature to announce anything specific at this time, we are reading all of your responses and giving each one careful consideration. We're all excited to share what we've been working on, and will do so as soon as we can."

-z

Remove ads