• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iTunes for Windows...NOW AVAILABLE!!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Well, evidence to support my theory. I did a search on Mahler, whose symphonies are notoriously long. Guess what? Almost everyone song over ten minutes was unavailable for purchase, and the entire Sixth Symphony is not to be found.

Yep, that sounds about right! :D One of the first things people noticed that there we many pop albums were complete, except for the 7+ minute song, which wasn't there. Stupid record companies...

If this whole legal downloading thing takes off (not just iTunes, but the others) and the record companies start seeing a profit from it, I suspect many of these issues will be taken care of. I hope.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Dimwhit said:
Yep, that sounds about right! :D One of the first things people noticed that there we many pop albums were complete, except for the 7+ minute song, which wasn't there. Stupid record companies...

If this whole legal downloading thing takes off (not just iTunes, but the others) and the record companies start seeing a profit from it, I suspect many of these issues will be taken care of. I hope.
So what gets me is that, as per Heretic, it's okay to charge a dollar for twelve seconds worth of music, or five minutes, but not for ten. That's completely ludicrous to claim that a fifteen minute song is worth any more or less than a five minute one.

Basically what I'm beginning to see is the record companies are willing to accept ten dollars for a CD, but not anything less. Those long tracks cut into the profit they're going to make, so they're just not going to release them. Bollocks.

Dimwhit

Explorer
So what gets me is that, as per Heretic, it's okay to charge a dollar for twelve seconds worth of music, or five minutes, but not for ten. That's completely ludicrous to claim that a fifteen minute song is worth any more or less than a five minute one.

Basically what I'm beginning to see is the record companies are willing to accept ten dollars for a CD, but not anything less. Those long tracks cut into the profit they're going to make, so they're just not going to release them. Bollocks.
I couldn't agree with you more.

I definitely think this whole pay-per-download is still very much in its infancy. There are a lot of kinks to be worked out, for sure. I think it's a great start, but the record companies need to loosen up a bit on some of these issues, and Apple needs to push harder, I think. They also need to work it out to bring iTunes worldwide.

But for being around for only 6-8 months or so, I'm very impressed.

ergeheilalt

First Post
I'm enjoying iTunes a lot. It is the only download program that works correctly on my school network - so it's iTunes or nothing apparently. The only thing that gets me is their lack of Linkin Park and Nickleback songs. I mean, these groups arn't that obscure. I was wondering if you folks new if their record lables decided to not sign with iTunes or if iTunes is just being slow on the pick up?

Erge

Dimwhit

Explorer
ergeheilalt said:
I'm enjoying iTunes a lot. It is the only download program that works correctly on my school network - so it's iTunes or nothing apparently. The only thing that gets me is their lack of Linkin Park and Nickleback songs. I mean, these groups arn't that obscure. I was wondering if you folks new if their record lables decided to not sign with iTunes or if iTunes is just being slow on the pick up?

Erge
Don't forget to hit the feedback and request those groups. Apparently, Apple does actually take the feedback and use it. So be sure to.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I agree, it's time to start eating at McDonalds... even though I can't stand their food.

On another note... I think, but can't confirm, that if you buy the entire album at once, you'll get the longer songs as well. It's not the optimal solution, but it works, especially for people like me who like to buy entire CDs anyway.

[EDIT] Disproven. The long tracks just aren't included. :mad:

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
They just released some numbers for Apple's and Napster's first full week of operation (well, for Apple, the first week on the Window's plaform with iTunes). Here's the article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=77&e=1&u=/mc/20031106/tc_mc/appleitunesoutsellsnapsterfivetoone

Apple: iTunes outsells Napster five to one
By Peter Cohen MacCentral
On the heels of Roxio Inc.'s news that its recently relaunched Napster (news - web sites) 2.0 commercial music download service sold 300,000 songs during its first full week of operation, Apple offered up news of its own: The iTunes Music Store sold 1.5 million songs during the same period, five times more than Napster. What's more, Apple also said that market research firm Nielsen SoundScan registers the iTunes Music Store as having more than 80 percent of the legal download market last week.

Apple's news comes only a few weeks after the company launched the Windows version of its iTunes software, which provides access to the iTunes Music Store -- a service with access to more than 400,000 commercially available songs. iTunes Music Store launched in April, initially for Mac OS X (news - web sites) only.

"The unbeatable combination of iPod and iTunes offers music lovers a seamless experience for buying, managing and listening to their digital music collections anywhere," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs (news - web sites) in a statement.

The iPod is sold by Apple through its online store and its nationwide retail store chain; it's also a popular item at leading electronics retailers and department stores. It's available in both Mac- and Windows-specific configurations.

The iTunes Music Store's "second generation" was introduced at the same time as iTunes for Windows, on October 16. New features of the iTunes Music Store -- available to Mac and Windows users alike -- including "Allowances" and "Gift Certificates" to let parents or friends and loved ones deposit funds for their kids and others to spend as they choose. Other features include more than 5,000 audiobooks, celebrity playlists, and more.

Napster is considered one of Apple's chief rivals in the battle for the hearts and minds of legal PC music downloaders. Once synonymous with illegal music sharing, Napster was relaunched by Roxio as a legitimate commercial online music service. Roxio and electronics manufacturer Samsung have also teamed up to produce a Napster-branded digital music player with features comparable to Apple's own iPod. PC manufacturer Dell has introduced the DJ, another iPod competitor, and its own Dell Digital Music Store, a rebranded version of MusicMatch's Jukebox software

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads