• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've Created Little Montsers

Brainwatch

Explorer
So after some delays I broke out the 5e playtest, sat down with the family and introduced the little ones to D&D. The 5 year old had the fighter. We figured it was the easiest for him to understand. Just step up with big axe and Chop Chop. The 6 year old took the Wizard. He liked the idea of the spells but was slightly disappointed he couldn't melee very well. The 8 year old too the Rogue, Although he really wanted to slice things with the dagger, he quickly picked up that he did more damage with the sling. The wife took the Cleric of Moradin, figuring the party could use some healing.

Since this was more of an introductory session the pregens and somewhat simplfied rules of the 5e playtest worked good. We did simplify somethings further. For now we ignored race entirely. Also I treated the Wizards spell cast more like a 3.x Sorcerer, here are the spells you know, and you can cast this many per day. This worked fine for what we did.

Random thoughts:
Hearing the boys chant "Chiop it up, Chop it up!" as they fought the zombies was pretty funny.

Magic Missile at will really made the Wiz feel magically.

The 5e fighter is a brute. My suped up Zombie king only lasted 3 rounds because the fighter missed once.

a Swarm of rats large enough to actually pose a threat to the PC made for a boring fight.

The boys had fun and are asking to play again. WIN!

Chaotic_Goth1431

First Post
That's the spirit! I'm determined to get any future offspring into D&D. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time. I know my late father would have liked D&D :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads