• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've DMed 4e and I PREFER DMing: A poll

You have DMed 4e and you prefer DMing:

• 4e.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • 3e

Votes: 28 10.6%
  • 2e/AD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 1e/OD&D or a retroclone of this

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Another game system that isn't D&D at all.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • I haven't ever DMed 4e, but I want a chance to vote anyway!

Votes: 14 5.3%

• Poll closed .
I prefer to DM 4E because it allows me more freedom. I can say "go ahead and try" and not "what does the skill say?"

I enjoyed 3.x for a while, but it was too restrictive due to all the rules (when I played, I would actually look up what I was thinking of doing in my Rules Compendium before hand), now it's just go ahead and try.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I've DM'ed various versions, on average, once per week for 27 years.

Hypothetically, I'd love to run BECMI D&D again as a one-off or short campaign - although I doubt any of my playing groups would be interested in returning to it.

Other than that, it's 4e all the way. I'd never return to 3e as a DM. After running all of Shackled City, Age of Worms and (most of) Savage Tide, I was completely burned out. Kyuss alone nearly killed me - 4 pages of stats for what was, in essence, a 5-round fight. A 5-round fight that took nearly 2 hours to play out.

He never even got to use his flare or read magic spells, or his Use Rope modifier of +46 (+48 with bindings), or...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've run every system since 1e, and so far I substantially prefer running 4e. I'm not sure if I'd prefer playing it over 3.5; I have been a player enough times to be sure. But as a DM? It's a win for me hands down.

FriarRosing

First Post
If 3rd Edition or 4th edition are my only choices, I'd definitely go with 4th. I thought that as soon as I'd played it. In all of the D&D I've played, though, I may prefer a Rules Cyclopedia game. It's just so free form and effortless.

Pbartender

First Post
At one time or another, I've DMed practically everything and the kitchen sink.

As far as D&D goes, 4E is my favorite edition to DM, with 1E AD&D being a close second for nostalgic reasons.

AngryMojo

First Post
I'm firmly in the 4th edition DM category. I've run plenty of 3.X, and I've got a lot of love for it, but holy crap did it get overwhelming by the end.

smdmcl

First Post
I'm DMing 4th edition now and I've been a DM in every edition since the basic books and the only edition I wouldn't DM again is 3rd edition. That's not much of a change for me though as I'd pretty much given up on being a DM very early in the 3rd edition era.

3rd editions emphasis on rules for everything really turned me off. Earlier editions were more free-form which allowed a player to decide to try something and the DM to be the judge but there were many different subsets of rules a DM (and player) had to be comfortable with. 4th edition is, in my opinion, the best blend of uniform rules and free-form play I have experienced so far.

catsclaw227

First Post
I've DMed just about every edition of D&D in the past 30+ years and I prefer DMing 4e hands down over the other systems. Admittedly, though, without the DDI my preference wouldn't be so absolute.

I will never, EVER DM a 3.5 high level game (15th+) again. It seemed to require 2x more time to prepare for than to play.

beldar1215

Explorer
I much prefer DM'ing 4th. I was running the Age of Worms adventure path and could not wait for it to be over. It was getting to be more of a chore than it was worth. We had a near TPK in the second to last adventure. I almost danced a little jig, because I didn't have to run 3.5 anymore!!! I have no intention to ever run in 3.5 again.

Beldar

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads