• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've got a problem in my game! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No bickering, please. When you start arguing TO another person and not about the subject of the thread, it's time to take a step back.

BenjErik

First Post
Personality Types

Hey Folks, yesterday I ran across a personality quiz that gives you one of 16 types based on your answers.

Here is the link: Personality Test

Suprisingly accurate, for me anyway!

Im mostly just curious, Engilbrand, are you an INTP ?

Engilbrand

First Post
I actually came up as an ESTP. There were a number of questions that I went between. Yes sometimes and No other times, so I'd put something without being sure. Honestly, though, INTP seems to work for me a lot better. The only difference is that it would be how I use to be. The Introvert has become an Extrovert and I stopped caring what people thought of me for the most part. I was self-conscious a lot growing up, and then one day I changed and stopped being a quiet bookworm. I won't lie, I've been called a jerk. A lot. Including here, I'm sure. But INTP does seem to work a bit more for me.

BenjErik

First Post
Interestingy enough, the questions labeled me an INTP, and the description was almost SPOT ON! Usually those personality tests are way off, but this one was uncanilly accurate, so I just thought I would share so people can see if it's as good for them.

Nellisir

Hero
BenjErik said:
Interestingy enough, the questions labeled me an INTP, and the description was almost SPOT ON! Usually those personality tests are way off, but this one was uncanilly accurate, so I just thought I would share so people can see if it's as good for them.

Well, I can see where this problem might have arisen.

A little anecdote (and I'm not saying this is the same situation -at all-, but it's tangentally similar...):
I ran an adventure once that depending on the players separating PC knowledge from player knowledge. It was, in short, a total failure because of one player. He refused to acknowledge his character was acting on out-of-game knowledge, but it was both blatantly obvious and impossible to stop except via DM fiat, which I was loathe to do. The other players all felt the same way I did, but as the adventure (intended to last over several sessions) wrapped up in a single night, I took it as a lesson learned and moved on. It wasn't that he knew the mechanics of the encounter; it was knowledge of the plot and motivation that allowed him to hamstring it. And to this day he doesn't believe he did anything wrong, or that he did anything at all.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's probably too late just to tell everyone involved to get over it and get on with their lives, isn't it? :p

Tweak the adventure, twist it around, maybe even make "a little knowledge a dangerous thing," have fun, and sing the happy smufs song and call it a day.

Or just say "Okay, I can't run that now," and make him run it. ;) Or run something else!

Yeah, he kind of violated the trust by going to read the adventure when you specifically told him not to. Call him on it, but don't harp on it. It's only a game.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
ENTJ, same as in college. I wonder how common it is for a person to change type?

I tested out as an ISFJ in high school, and later as an INFJ. But I was close on the S/N and T/F scales at the first testing anyway (F beat T by one point, I think).

Brad

BenjErik

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
It's probably too late just to tell everyone involved to get over it and get on with their lives, isn't it?

Thats kinda my stance as well... Yeah we disagree on what was done, and the gravity of the situation (Me not knowing how big a deal it was to him, when it was not that big a deal to myself) but its no reason to just never speak again and end the collective enjoyment of a D&D game over the PRINCIPLE of it. (Its already been established in this thread that the ingame consequences can be worked around.)

Also for clarification: Me thinking about apologizing, I don't see as arrogant or self-centered at all. If I am going to apologize for anything, I like to know why I am doing it, and how to best convey what I am thinking without offending the wronged party. I will not give an insincere apology to make someone feel better. Also, I spoke those words on A PHONE CALL, specifically telling him that I had to go to sleep and we would talk later. if I were to sincerely apologize at all it would be in person to his face, not through an internet forum or an impersonal phone call.

Last edited:

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Apologia (x4)

Zaruthustran said:
Until he *acts* on that knowledge, it's not cheating.
So, if a student deliberately seeks out an instructor's answer key and then takes the exam ... it's okay, so long as the student does not "act" on the knowledge from the answer key?

Zaruthustran said:
Neither play style is objectively better than the other.
Fair enough, but I don't really consider cheating and/or disrespect to be playing styles.

Zaruthustran said:
So he looked at a thread with some info on the mod; not a big deal.
He didn't just stumble across a random thread. He specifically looked up a spoiler piece after the OP told him not to ... and then attempted to justify his actions by mocking the OP's moral compass.

Zaruthustran said:
It's a game.
True enough, but it's a very time-intensive one ... and time is precious.

Zaruthustran said:
Life's too short to burn bridges over such a minor issue.
It's also too short to waste your time coddling people who disrepect you and/or your hobby.

Zaruthustran said:
That'll teach me to read the entire thread before replying.
No harm. No foul. ;)

-Samir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads