• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've got a problem in my game! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Represent!

Zaruthustran said:
Seriously: how many D&D players does the OP know? Can the group afford to lose a player, even a player that may know some details about an encounter or two?

Friendship is about quality, not quantity.

Nate Jones

First Post
BenjErik said:
Hey Folks, yesterday I ran across a personality quiz that gives you one of 16 types based on your answers.

Here is the link: Personality Test

Suprisingly accurate, for me anyway!

Im mostly just curious, Engilbrand, are you an INTP ?

Well, not surprisingly, I popped up as an INTP too. Although my "N", "T", and "P" all were about 50%, so I could go either way. With the exception of the 'I", I've flipped around all over the scale each time I've taken the Jung test over the last 5 or 6 years.

BenjErik

First Post
Evolution

Peoples personality can grow or change over time, so its no suprise (to me atleast) when people retest months or years later and score a different result. I suppose I haven't always been an INTP, but gradually became one because of my lifes experiences, and how I reacted to them; the future is always in motion...

tylermalan

First Post
FWIW, this IS a published adventure, namely Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, that I was running. It's also worth noting that I was running it because I don't have a lot of free time, and was running a published adventure not only because I wanted to, but also because I don't have the time out of game to prepare a homebrew. So, almost ANY work on the adventure that I have to do out of game is too much.

Also, in my opinion, it would have been impossible for his out of game knowledge to NOT effect the adventure.

The player with out of game knowledge would have had to make a choice: either make the right choice KNOWING that it was right, seeming like he's cheating because he's using his extra knowledge, or purposely make the WRONG choice just so he wouldn't seem like he was cheating. Either way, it changes the game for the other players, no?

The only other option would be to back his character out of the situation where he already knew the answer, and let the other players make the choice - but then he might as well not be playing the game. What's the point, then? Which, coincidentally, he isn't anymore, so the effect is the same.

Engilbrand

First Post
Go figure. Benjerik's post makes perfect sense to me. He said exactly what I've said the entire time. Is it that INTP people are rare? I don't know. It seems to me like almost everyone who has posted takes things way too personally.
3 cheers on not just apologizing to make people feel better. And a phone call is not the best way to get an apology. How does one know if the person making the apology is being sincere or rolling his eyes and scratching his crotch? You don't.
Maybe what you said sums up everything better than any of my posts were able to. If people don't agree, you're bound to get conflict.

shilsen

Adventurer
tylermalan said:
Also, in my opinion, it would have been impossible for his out of game knowledge to NOT effect the adventure.

The player with out of game knowledge would have had to make a choice: either make the right choice KNOWING that it was right, seeming like he's cheating because he's using his extra knowledge, or purposely make the WRONG choice just so he wouldn't seem like he was cheating. Either way, it changes the game for the other players, no?

The only other option would be to back his character out of the situation where he already knew the answer, and let the other players make the choice - but then he might as well not be playing the game.

Let me be a little bit of devil's advocate and say here that I think you're completely wrong. A good player can play through an adventure that he knows and respond to it purely on the basis of in-character knowledge.

Let me use a personal experience here. When Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil came out, I found that a number of people would mention details from the module randomly in the middle of posts without warning that they were putting up spoilers. And this would happen in threads which had nothing to do with RttToEE. Since I spend a lot of time on ENWorld, I encountered a lot of this information. Since I was also playing in a RttToEE game, I told the DM about it. And then I said, "But don't worry. I won't use any OOC info." And he said, "Okay. Thanks for letting me know." And I played through the entire module and the fact that I knew a bunch of stuff made absolutely no difference to the way I played the game, and I and the other players and the DM enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

As a player and DM, I'm separating IC and OOC info constantly. I run NPCs against my PCs using the info the NPCs have and not what I have. I run PCs against monsters that I can recite the stats for but I do that on the basis of the PC, not myself as a player. Just yesterday I had a PC attack a lich with a lightning orb even though I (as a player) know it wouldn't work, because the PC didn't and that's what he would have used.

I seriously don't see why you think not using player info is so complicated. IMNSHO, it's an integral part of roleplaying a character who isn't you.

What's the point, then? Which, coincidentally, he isn't anymore, so the effect is the same.

Seems like you have a solution then.

tylermalan

First Post
shilsen said:
I seriously don't see why you think not using player info is so complicated. IMNSHO, it's an integral part of roleplaying a character who isn't you.

Its probably worth pointing out, then, that he's a powergamer, not a roleplayer.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Different Paths

shilsen said:
Let me use a personal experience here. When Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil came out, I found that a number of people would mention details from the module randomly in the middle of posts without warning that they were putting up spoilers. And this would happen in threads which had nothing to do with RttToEE. Since I spend a lot of time on ENWorld, I encountered a lot of this information. Since I was also playing in a RttToEE game, I told the DM about it. And then I said, "But don't worry. I won't use any OOC info." And he said, "Okay. Thanks for letting me know." And I played through the entire module and the fact that I knew a bunch of stuff made absolutely no difference to the way I played the game, and I and the other players and the DM enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.
You accidentally discovered spoilers, informed your DM, and agreed to behave in an honorable fashion.

The OP's culprit was told not to look at a specific spoiler and he deliberately sought it out.

-Samir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads