Jack Chick Passes Away

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

chick.jpg

[video=youtube;8qc9JiIiOSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ[/video]

Henry

Autoexreginated
Between Bowie, Rickman, Kenny Baker, Wilder, Garry Marshall, and now Jack Chick, I am officially christening 2016 as the Year my Childhood died. :(

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Chick's work - he helped make my childhood difficult, at the same time they were a constant while growing up in the American Bible Belt. I hope he rests in peace.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ah. Yes one of the architects of what I called "America's Second Red Scare."

To posthumously wish him ill will would be to stoop to his level.

Third Red Scare - 1919, then 1947, and then 1981. :) only this Red Scare involved Heavy Metal Devil Horns.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I just realized it was Zombie Orpheus that made the vids so yeah, they must have been poking fun at the 80s jaded and messed up view.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I hope he has a perfectly pleasant afterlife after being confronted with how completely wrong and damaging his publications were.

Reinhart

First Post
I hope he has a perfectly pleasant afterlife after being confronted with how completely wrong and damaging his publications were.

My sentiments exactly. It's enough revenge just to prosper in a world where he was clearly wrong and we get to tolerate and even love the lives that he condemned.

Between Bowie, Rickman, Kenny Baker, Wilder, Garry Marshall, and now Jack Chick, I am officially christening 2016 as the Year my Childhood died. :(

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Chick's work - he helped make my childhood difficult, at the same time they were a constant while growing up in the American Bible Belt. I hope he rests in peace.
2016 has been a hell of a year. Even Abe Vigoda didn't make it out alive...

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
We all do have our RPG related snark against him, but it is worth noting that was just one thing. A lot of his other stuff was, well, precisely what was said above, damaging to other people.

Best of it to anyone he's left behind, but a lot of his stuff was really questionable

Remove ads

Remove ads