• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jackson could still make The Hobbit

horacethegrey

First Post
Well, it seems like Bob Shaye got smart and realized his 'blacklisting' of Peter Jackson was harming rather than helping their plans for a Hobbit movie.

Even though I'm a big fan of his, I'm reasonably sure any other talented director could handle The Hobbit. But I'd still prefer it if Jackson directed, if only to bring his cinematic journey of Middle Earth full circle.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have every confidence Jackson WILL make The Hobbit, at least as a producer.

The first sign was that New Line's head of Marketing, Russell Schwartz, was fired. It was a sure sign that things have gotten desperate at New Line. They badly need a big hit.

The second is that the rights to Hobbit default back to the previous owner fairly soon, and the prior owner has said his choice is Jackson. That put New Line in an impossible position - find someone else good enough, quickly, who is willing to do it knowing that Jackson wants to do it, and who would bring in the box office they need. That's a very short list, and probably already exhausted. Raimi has said in the past that he would not take on the project without Jackson’s blessing. I think Raimi will end up directing, and Jackson producing.

The fact that they are talking about "mending fences", after their previous very public absolutist approach, tells me they have gotten desperate and the battle is probably already won by Jackson. Now it's just a matter of settling the lawsuit on a figure they can both live with.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Wow. Not often the little guy beats the Big Company like that.

And hopefully this time Jackson will have a lawyer to *very carefully* go over the new contract. :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
Particle_Man said:
Wow. Not often the little guy beats the Big Company like that.

And hopefully this time Jackson will have a lawyer to *very carefully* go over the new contract. :)

It's not about very carefully going over the contract. It's about oppression and self-dealing in terms of New Line's international film distribution and properly accounting for expenses. There is no way to provide for these things contractually under reasonable business conditions. Better said, they are already provided for and New Line is not supposed to do what they are accused of doing. These are accounting and fairness / oppression issues, not a matter of a true construction of a contractual clause.

Frankly, I think Jackson should just press forward with his claim and march straight to trial. He has the money to do it and that's really the only barrier to this sort of commercial litigation. Go get 'em.

When he gets to the courtroom door, the smart money is on New Line blinking.

There is nothing like the focus provided by a trial that is about to commence where there is a hundred million plus on the table - payable by one party to the other - that motivates parties to stop being asses and frickin' settle. If he allows his case to be dicked around in disclosure and discovery issues, this will go on and on and on.

Plaintiffs run to the courtroom; defendants run away. It has ever been thus. Get the bastards to trial.

THAT will get you The Hobbit quicker than anything else. Otherwise, Ian McKellan will be dead before we see that movie filmed at this rate.

Last edited:

JRR_Talking

First Post
some dwarves get captured by trolls and saved by bilbo
some dwarves get captured in a goblin lair and saved by gandalf
some dwarves get captured up trees and rescued by eagles
some dwarves get captured by spiders and rescued by bilbo
some dwarves get captured by elves and rescued by bilbo
some dwarves......

im not sure it will make a great movie TBH

John

Remove ads