• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

James Bond

APewty

First Post
I meant to say James Bond RPG and not imply that it had nothing to do with RPG's. Sorry about that faux pas.

I too remember seeing a conversion of the Mustang GT for use in the game. I think it was in Dragon magazine. Never had the rules but I am a Bond fan so I always wondered how fun of a game that would be.

thormagni

Explorer
Never had the rules but I am a Bond fan so I always wondered how fun of a game that would be.

I've been a big fan of espionage RPGs since TSR's original "Top Secret," but it is really hard to find a group that is interested. It is kind of a little splinter of a splinter of RPG enthusiasts.

The only one I ever really got off the ground was a "Top Secret: SI" game back when I was in the Navy we played for a couple of months and a few sessions of "Danger International" from the mid-80s, (which uses the Hero system rules.)

I have a handful of the D20 Spycraft stuff and the new edition looks really interesting, but I've been really trying to ratchet back my purchasing of RPGs I don't expect to ever play.

APewty

First Post
I've been a big fan of espionage RPGs since TSR's original "Top Secret," but it is really hard to find a group that is interested. It is kind of a little splinter of a splinter of RPG enthusiasts.

The only one I ever really got off the ground was a "Top Secret: SI" game back when I was in the Navy we played for a couple of months and a few sessions of "Danger International" from the mid-80s, (which uses the Hero system rules.)

I have a handful of the D20 Spycraft stuff and the new edition looks really interesting, but I've been really trying to ratchet back my purchasing of RPGs I don't expect to ever play.

I never had the Top Secret game but I fondly remember the advertising packaged in the D&D box sets with it and others, like Gamma World and Boot Hill, in them. I did buy Gamma World and never played it. Bought MERP and never played it. Bought some old City State stuff and never played it. Recently, with GG's passing, I ordered the boxed Lejendary Adventures and it's sitting here but I plan to buy nothing that I won't play just because I don't have the room or the money. I think it's a good call to be careful what you buy unless you're just chock full of cash. :confused:

thormagni

Explorer
Recently, with GG's passing, I ordered the boxed Lejendary Adventures and it's sitting here but I plan to buy nothing that I won't play just because I don't have the room or the money. I think it's a good call to be careful what you buy unless you're just chock full of cash. :confused:

Or if you have remarkably poor impulse control <=== That's me!

Seriously, a lack of cash and space is really putting a crimp in my crazy game buying sprees. I have a few game books I'd like to pick up that are coming out at GenCon, but we'll see how that goes. None of them are close to a necessity for my gaming enjoyment.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I started reading the Fleming originals back in the 90's, and I binge read them. They're fantastic.

I also read all the Gardner books. It's a different style from Fleming, but I ended up enjoying those as well.

The cool thing about the James Bond RPG is that it can easily be played one-on-one, with just one player and the Ref. I ran a couple like that, with the player running his main character as a 00 agent. Sometimes, he'd play the side-kicks, too.

We had a blast.

The dude had black hair, combed straight back, Gordon Gekko style. He carried a .45 auto as his weapon. He liked the pen-gun as an all-the-time gadget. He was agent 006, Jonathan Blade.

The adventures I ran with him tended to be bloodier than your usual Bond outing. One time, I had Bond do a cameo and berate the guy because of the body count.

Good times.

Remove ads