D&D 4E JamesonCourage's First 4e Session

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Once again, [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] has covered it but I'll throw in a few other thoughts:

1. Another option to consider is working in ways he can use his powers in lieu of skills in a skill challenge. Also, do you reward your players with bonuses to their skill checks (or even automatic successed) if their ideas are really clever and/or well-explained? This can get around a player deciding his character's skill bonuses are too low compared to the other characters' so he simply opts out of the skill challenge.

2. Yeah, long skill challenges and long combats: both can be the bane of 4E for some players.

3. Perhaps if you do mix them in the future, any skill use that requires a standard action also causes damage and/or applies a condition to the enemies being fought. That way those characters more active in the SC feel like they are contributing to the combat as well.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
1. Another option to consider is working in ways he can use his powers in lieu of skills in a skill challenge. Also, do you reward your players with bonuses to their skill checks (or even automatic successed) if their ideas are really clever and/or well-explained? This can get around a player deciding his character's skill bonuses are too low compared to the other characters' so he simply opts out of the skill challenge.
The other players have all used powers during skill challenges, but this player never has. Odd, since he's the most experienced. I'll try to remind him, since that's a great thing to pick up on.

And yes, I'll reward stuff if people use encounter powers, daily powers, coming up with good ideas (as I mentioned with someone using a ladder on the last page), etc.
2. Yeah, long skill challenges and long combats: both can be the bane of 4E for some players.
Yep, he does admit most of them are fast enough, but he does dislike the long skill challenge we had. But it lasted hours and got interrupted a couple of times, so I'll just attempt to avoid that in the future.
3. Perhaps if you do mix them in the future, any skill use that requires a standard action also causes damage and/or applies a condition to the enemies being fought. That way those characters more active in the SC feel like they are contributing to the combat as well.
Oh, interesting thought. I think I can work something like this in. This is a great idea if I ever combine them. Thanks!

Storminator

First Post
Your guys are still pretty low level, and character resources are scarce, but have him look at Skill Powers and some of the skill monkey feats. Some let you use one skill for another (Arcana for Intimidate, frex), and others give you bonuses or rerolls. Also, let him hit hard DCs with that Heal skill. Finally, if you're using the Do Something Awesome card, let him throw that down for . . . something awesome?

IMC I give out extra skill trainings and skill powers. Our game heavily revolves around skill challenges. At one of our recent sessions some players grumbled that only one PC has a reroll power to really help out those hard DC checks. So I asked "what did you use your 2 (they're paragon tier) free skill powers on?" "combat power" "combat power" "combat power" . . . "combat power." :D Players.

PS

D'karr

Adventurer
This makes sense. As I said, the forced narrative structure might be his problem with skill challenges. I'm not sure yet.

My preferences for handling combat and skill challenges don't entirely line up with yours.
First of all let me make this clear. Nothing I said in my initial post, or on this one is meant to make it look like you were not doing something right, so please understand that this is all simply advice. From your tone I see that you did not misunderstand but I want to put it out there so there is no future possibility of misunderstanding.

Your approach is perfectly fine, not everyone should do things "my way" and it is good that you have a good grasp of how the skill challenge framework is working for you. My advice only comes from the experience that has provided the most fun for my group. Every group is different, and you are a better judge than the game designers, or me, as to what works well for you.

I announce the bloodied condition very explicitly, but I also describe what their enemies look like along the way (the closer they are to 0, the more beat up they look).
I do the same, so we're not that far apart on this. I describe what is going on along the way first. Then when the trigger happens I describe that too, and then I declare the metagame condition. Like I said for me it's a matter of presentation. The more I keep characters in the moment, the better the experience IMO.

And, every success or failure in the skill challenge pushes the action forward, so no problems on my end here. I've been running skill challenges in my own RPG (X successes before 3 failures), albeit with different rules, though I'm used to utilizing the basic structure already.
Understood, and you are doing it similarly. Every success, or failure, is pushing the action forward so once again we're not that far apart.

Right; I basically say that certain skills may not be available right now, based on context. So far, my players are very good about doing this themselves, though. If they don't feel like Endurance has a place, they won't try to shoehorn it in, even if they have a big bonus (like the dwarven Fighter does).
The only difference here is that I don't announce what skills are, or are not, usable. I don't explicitly announce that we're in a skill challenge. I find that very jarring. I want that to come out of play not direct metagame exposition. When we're going into an SC, I frame the scene from the character's perspective, not the players. It is similar to what I already do in a combat. When the characters enter a room and see orcs, they might think "combat is about to ensue", but that might depend on their actions. The orcs might raise their weapons and charge immediately, or the orcs might wait and see. I don't roll initiative (the metagame) until the combat really starts. That way there are "infinite" options, with open combat simply being one of them.

As an example of a setup for a skill challenge I might say, "okay, you see the cultists reorganizing coming towards you en masse. You are pretty sure that you can't take them all out in combat. If you try, this will probably be your end. To your left you see mine tunnels that lead to the outside. You could try to outrun them by foot, or you can use the mine carts to get as far as possible before they catch you. What would you like to do?"

At that point we are in the EC, but I've made no mention of skills allowed or disallowed. I've given them their goal (outrun the thugs out the tunnels) and I've framed the spatial situation (thugs coming, tunnel escape, carts, on foot, no combat, etc.). Usually at this time the players start asking questions and "planning" their actions.
Wizard PC: "Do I see a cart that has some lumber in it?" (no roll, or lousy roll)
DM: "Yes, but it's not too close to the exit, you might have to push it a bit." (this is setup not success/fail for challenge)
Wizard PC: "One of you, the strong ones, come help with this cart."
Warrior PC: "I go and start pushing." (roll to push)
DM: Success - "The cart moves easily and you guys are in it you can fit 3 per cart." Fail - "The cart moves but it is very heavy and is moving slowly. You get in it but it might be slow going (complication)."

The entire thing is a give and take. And they can ask questions just like in a combat. The more questions the better, it means they are getting into it. When the players go into the EC I don't initially disallow any skills, or actions. Simply because I can't think of all possible situations. I'd rather the players think on how they can achieve their goal without any predetermined restrictions. During the metagame I might say to them that something would not work as they want, but only after they describe what they want to do. This way they get to think without artificial restrictions. I might eventually disallow a particular skill use, or action, but not without first hearing their "argument". The Negotiation SC on the DMG is a perfect example of why I don't do that. Intimidation in that challenge was disallowed from the beginning without "listening" to the context in which the PC is framing his skill use. And there might be instances that the PC framing is appropriate.

Also, if their character doesn't need to roll to succeed, then that's not really a challenge in the skill challenge, and thus won't contribute to the outcome either way. That doesn't mean that they can't still use the skill, mind you; the skill is considered a success (though not counted for the skill challenge), and it changes the context of what's going on accordingly. It just means that it doesn't take up their turn, and they still need to make a contribution, as normal.

If there is a ladder (and there likely is if they're asking, because I'm nice like that in 4e, what with my "yes, and" and stuff going on), I give them +2 for having a good idea, and make them roll (ladders can fall). That seems simple enough to me.

I don't think my players would skip asking. Also, I don't think asking is a problem for skill challenges. At least, not in my experience.
Let me explain why I have certain "auto-success" conditions. It has a lot to do with the playstyle I want my players to engage in.

Statistically, the more rolls a player needs to do to accomplish something, the less likely he is to succeed at the task. A good example is swashbuckling action. If a player says I want to swing from the chandelier, kick the ogre into the fire pit, and land next to him, this can be resolved in multiple ways. I can have the PC make an Acrobatics check to swing, an attack roll to hit, an Athletics check to push, and another Acrobatics check to land. The likeliness of success under those conditions is very low. However, and this is where 4e excels, I can also resolve it by one simple Acrobatics check that accomplishes the entire action. I express to the player that he thinks this is a hard maneuver, and that if he fails he'll be in front of the ogre and grant combat advantage, does he still want to try it? He says yes. So I go into calculation mode. The Ogre is a level X and a hard DC for a level X maneuver is YY. I tell the player, go ahead roll Acrobatics. If he hits the DC of YY he succeeds. He swings from the chandelier across the room. Firmly plants his feet on the ogre's chin making him stagger back into the fire pit, and with a last bit of panache he lands gracefully as the ogre yells in pain.

In a skill challenge, or in anything that uses a skill check there is also the "rolling for rolling's sake" situation. In the wizard's lab I've hidden his super secret key inside the jar on top of his desk, the one with the colored marbles. When I describe the wizard's lab and his desk I mention the glass jar with marbles. If a PC asks if he can see something unusual about the desk, he might have to make a Perception check to find the key. But if the player says, I go to the desk and open the glass jar with marbles and pour them out on the desk to look for the big ones. Should I have him make a Perception roll to notice the key that obviously fell out?

That is what I mean. There are some situations in which the PCs clearly think out of the box that we, as DMs, have created. Making them roll just so we can keep the appearance of "challenge" is counterproductive. Based on that same idea let's look at the example of the ladder. As the DM or adventure writer I've determined that they need to make an Athletics check to reach the glass pane. When the wizard character asks if they have a ladder he has "broken out" of the box. He came up with a situation that I did not think about. The wizard character is the one less likely to be able to make an Athletics check, so why am I going to make him roll? He has given me an out condition, and IMO should be rewarded. This becomes an auto-success to get to the glass pane. That is the type of play I want them to have, immersive on the gameworld level, not on the metagame level. He went past that piece of the "challenge" because of thoughtful play. So he gets a success without rolling for it. This doesn't end the EC, but they have a success without rolling.

I hope that explains it better.

My players do tend to look over their good skill first, but this makes sense to me. In real life, people tend to attempt what they're good at first. However, they don't stop there. I've had multiple players roll Perception untrained, for example, because they're keeping an eye out for something specific (that might also set them up on their next roll, or help another player). If "I only have X, so that's all I'll ever consider" is a problem for many groups, it seems like my main group and my new 4e groups have both side-stepped this particular issue.
This is normal and should be expected. They will look at their best skill is not an aberration. It is good that your players are going beyond that. This is something to encourage.

Only if the check was only purely to climb up. In my skill challenge, it'd likely be "you climbed up, and now you can roll your Athletics to help rebuild stuff" or something. Or, "you found a ladder, and can climb up. Now what?" Depending on the answer, I'll make them roll something. I'm not going to give an auto success away for finding a ladder, but I'll still reward it.
I explained above how I handle it and why. If I had the climbing part as a piece of the challenge, and they came up with a feasible/effective way to not have to climb then they get an auto-success for that piece. Sure they might still have to do other things as part of the challenge but they've already accumulated a success.

Personally, I can't see how your method is any more or less organic than mine. Both reward obtaining the ladder, and both rely on what's actually happening in the fiction, and both follow a set narrative structure (X successes before 3 failures). You choose to end yours a little earlier or a little easier (auto success), but I don't get how that makes it any more organic. Perhaps I'm missing something, though, and my player feels like you do. Can you explain why you feel your method is more organic than how I'd handle it (+2 bonus, "you can climb, but what do you do now?", etc.)?
I hope that the explanation that I provided clears up what I meant. They don't get to have a "shorter" challenge, they simply accumulated a success without having to roll because of thoughtful play. The same way that what a character says to a duke might color the way the duke views that character with a bonus, a penalty, or even without having to roll. These are all pieces of the roleplaying.

I'm not running a skill challenge so that I can bypass the forced narrative structure of the skill challenge; as far as I'm concerned, that defeats the purpose. If looking in the drawer helps them, then it helps them within the fiction. However, I can always add more complications to the story within the context of the skill challenge. Sure, you found [whatever] in the drawer; what now? What do you do now?
I'm not trying to bypass the narrative either, I'm trying to keep it narrative. Your handling of the drawer example is not much different than what I'm trying to explain, but the secret that was found did not require a roll, so it's an auto-success for that particular piece. My explanation above covers this.

I will say that I don't use any "auto failure" skills. I just comment that certain skills may not apply right now, within the context of the current situation. I do encourage players to help one another brainstorm, and I throw out ideas, too, if I think they need the help (since many are new or somewhat new to the game).

I agree. Since I don't follow this advice when I run them, I don't think it's too much of an issue. I might say "there's nobody for you to Intimidate", but I'm generally pretty lenient. I've let the Monk do things like use Insight to predict the cave's path, since it was kinda maze-like, since it had been designed, even though there was nobody present to use it on. I'm not going to say "these skills always fail," and I basically wing every skill challenge, instead of deciding what can/can't be used ahead of time.
Yep, this all still lines up with what I mentioned. I handle it pretty much the same, but The Negotiation challenge does pose a situation where an auto-failure is warranted during the delicate negotiation. It all depends on context. You are dealing with the duke after all, not some bum from the streets. When Theoden says, "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." This could be a situation where the particular skill use was considered an auto-failure on Aragorn's part.

The same way that getting into a combat when the party is trying to escape down the mine tunnels might be an auto-failure. But what if the dwarven paladin steps forward and says, "Okay lads, I have not much use for running. My time of reckoning has come. I feel the warmth of Moradin gaze and he awaits me in his halls. I will hold them as long as I can. Now get into those carts and flee!" Man what a glorious end. Let that character step forward and hold that line. That might even be an auto-success as he delays the enemy with his sacrifice. There are consequences to it, but man that is one awesome way to get immersed.

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure why the adventure would necessarily end. Maybe it would; I don't know.
It might be possible to keep going but at this point it might be futile because of circumstances. That is mostly for the DM to decide.

Either way, I just ran a "exit the collapsing cave" type of skill challenge. If they had failed, they'd've been stuck inside when it caved in. It would've hurt, and they would now need to somehow get out. I don't see why the adventure would end. Regardless, I rarely use skill challenges that would explicitly kill PCs if they fail, and I've not done so in 4e. I'm following the "they should never end the adventure" advice.
Correct, and this is the "proper" way to design them, and run them. However there are some that don't follow that piece of advice in the DMG.

I don't think I'm far from this at all. I'm also not sure if you think this ties into what the player dislikes about skill challenges. They have yet to fail, and I've never ended the campaign for it. If you have questions about any of the skill challenges I've run (which are detailed somewhat in this thread), I can try to answer those questions.

I don't feel like my skill challenges are "dice rolling festivals." One particular skill challenge in my second session lasted most of the session, was interrupted multiple times, and involved a lot of talking between skill checks.
I never meant that your skill challenges were "dice rolling festivals." However this particular accusation comes up enough when dealing with skill challenges. So it is important to examine how we're running, and designing, them to make sure they don't turn out that way.

I'm definitely going to explicitly tell them when they're in a skill challenge, I think, as well as what's mechanically going on (successes, failures, etc.), just as I would in combat.

I'm also going to roll dice when I feel it's necessary (someone takes an action to progress towards the end of the skill challenge, help another do so, or help reverse a failure).

And, as far as the framework goes, I'm still not sure how skipping the framework provides any benefit; how is "automatic success" more organic (or better in another way) than "you can now climb up; what do you do now?" Both of our methods rely on the fiction to progress, your method is just resolved a little sooner or easier.
I just run them/design them differently. Yes, both our methods rely on the fiction in progress. I just prefer not to put the metagame for the skill challenge front and center. That is the reason I don't announce it, I ease them into it by engaging the fiction rather than the metagame. There is nothing wrong with your way of doing it. I just doesn't work well for my group as it immediately drops them out from the immersion in the game world. I hope my explanation above made sense of that.

And, since things rely on the fiction to progress (you can't say "I'm rolling Arcana", you say "I'm trying to magically control the harmful energies of the portal, and keep it under control"), I think I'm hitting your "presented from the point of view of the characters" note, aren't I? I'm honestly asking, not trying to shoot down all of your advice. (As you can see in this thread and the last one, I quite appreciate the advice.)
Never thought you were shooting down the advice, if anything you have been a wonderful listener to the advice. You measure it, and see if it works for you. That is the best type of "student". Engaging the fiction is exactly what I'm talking about, and you and your players seem to be doing it well. I just wanted to add to the particulars of skill challenges because they seem to be the most misunderstood piece of 4e, and for good reason.

I think the main thing that helped here is the "presentation is key" bit of advice. The rest I'm not worried about, and I don't feel like there's anything to fix based on your very thorough post. I'm not sure what I need to do to present things in a way that might annoy my player less, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll be keeping an eye out on how I can go about that (probably looking closer at it than I might've if you hadn't mentioned it). Thanks for such a well thought-out reply. I appreciate the effort.
Not a problem, glad I could help.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
FWIW, I think clerics do have it rough in 4E skill challenges. They typically have armor penalties compounding mediocre Str and Dex scores. The only class skills that build upon their Wis are Heal and Insight, and they don't get Endurance to build upon their Con. Half their class skills, including the mandatory one, use Int, a traditional dump stat. Your sha'ir wizard might have a better Religion bonus than your cleric. Other characters are quite likely to have better scores in two of the more common Wis skills, Perception and Nature. If I were playing a mul cleric, I would definitely look at using backgrounds to augment my list of class skills.

If the PC shines in Insight and Heal, I would make it clear that Insight could be useful in social encounters to determine what makes NPCs tick. Heal can often be used not just to heal creatures, but to determine how long a creature has been dead, to identify a murder weapon, to avoid healing-surge loss due to a failure, etc.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
In our group, Insight seems to be the absolute favourite skill in all RP exchanges whether skill challenges or not.

When our thaneborn barbarian got rebuilt as a hybrid barbarian|warlord, he chose the warlord feature that gives a +2 bonus to everyone's Insight check as it was simply so useful.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Your guys are still pretty low level, and character resources are scarce, but have him look at Skill Powers and some of the skill monkey feats. Some let you use one skill for another (Arcana for Intimidate, frex), and others give you bonuses or rerolls. Also, let him hit hard DCs with that Heal skill. Finally, if you're using the Do Something Awesome card, let him throw that down for . . . something awesome?
He does go for Hard DCs with his huge Heal skill (and hits them, too, which is good). And the Wizard does have some of those substitute powers (cantrips... she can use Arcana for Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Stealth, as encounter powers), and I think he might be slightly jealous over that. Not mad at her, but wishing he had things easier, like she does (with her high Arcana skill).

And yes, I do have a "Stunt" card, though he's the only player not to use any powers during skill challenges, and I think he's the only player to leave his "Stunt" card at home when we go play, since "he'll remember it."
IMC I give out extra skill trainings and skill powers. Our game heavily revolves around skill challenges. At one of our recent sessions some players grumbled that only one PC has a reroll power to really help out those hard DC checks. So I asked "what did you use your 2 (they're paragon tier) free skill powers on?" "combat power" "combat power" "combat power" . . . "combat power." :D Players.
Ha, exactly :)

But, skills are very important in my games, as are skill challenges. Someone advised me in my first thread to give out a free Skill Training, and I'm considering it again, as of this point. I'm not quite convinced yet, but I might do that (and/or an extra skill power). I'm trying to stick pretty close to RAW, though, to give 4e its fair shot. It's the least I feel I can do, after all these posts over the past couple of years where I openly stated what I disagreed with in regards to 4e. Thanks for the reply :)

But, skills are very important in my games, as are skill challenges. Someone advised me in my first thread to give out a free Skill Training, and I'm considering it again, as of this point. I'm not quite convinced yet, but I might do that (and/or an extra skill power). I'm trying to stick pretty close to RAW, though, to give 4e its fair shot. It's the least I feel I can do, after all these posts over the past couple of years where I openly stated what I disagreed with in regards to 4e. Thanks for the reply :)

I would stress this to the player. Given your description of the player's point-buy allocation, they obviously considerably optimized for primary ability score to the extreme determent of the rest of their build and therefore sacrificing breadth/depth for focus. If they bump their primary ability score by 2, all of a sudden they could have a bunch of 13s, qualifying for feats and giving them a + 1 to + 2 (for the ability with an 8) in skills and more than likely bumping up their Reflex and Fort. They appear too combat focused for your sort of game. Adjusting ability scores and taking Jack of All Trades or a multiclass feat will have a small downward effect on their offensive effectiveness in combat while having a healthy broadening effect for overall defenses and their effectiveness in non-combat conflict resolution.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
First of all let me make this clear. Nothing I said in my initial post, or on this one is meant to make it look like you were not doing something right, so please understand that this is all simply advice. From your tone I see that you did not misunderstand but I want to put it out there so there is no future possibility of misunderstanding.
Okay, good, I'm glad you know I didn't understand. I took it as general advice, for my benefit, as well as that of anyone else reading (which is what I'm looking for in the thread). I thought my post might seem too... I don't know... defensive? I tried to make it clear that I did appreciate your advice, because I do. I just have to communicate how I run things, and how it relates to your advice, so that you can give me further useful advice :)
Your approach is perfectly fine, not everyone should do things "my way" and it is good that you have a good grasp of how the skill challenge framework is working for you. My advice only comes from the experience that has provided the most fun for my group. Every group is different, and you are a better judge than the game designers, or me, as to what works well for you.
Agreed all around. Glad you know what works for your group, and I'm glad you're putting it out there, for everyone to see, since hopefully people are benefiting from this thread and the advice within it :)
I do the same, so we're not that far apart on this. I describe what is going on along the way first. Then when the trigger happens I describe that too, and then I declare the metagame condition. Like I said for me it's a matter of presentation. The more I keep characters in the moment, the better the experience IMO.
I'm just about the same. When they got Eoh, the Earth Elemental Guardian to bloodied, they triggered an effect that caused a slight cave-in (this was also supposed to be meant as shallow foreshadowing of what defeating him brought about: a full-on cave-in). When this happened, I described the shaking of the ceiling, the moans of the walls, etc., before I got to "rocks are falling, making attacks against you" and the mechanics behind it.
Understood, and you are doing it similarly. Every success, or failure, is pushing the action forward so once again we're not that far apart.
Yep yep :)
The only difference here is that I don't announce what skills are, or are not, usable.
I only do it if they bring up "any ideas on how to use this skill?" Otherwise, I leave them to it.
I don't explicitly announce that we're in a skill challenge. I find that very jarring. I want that to come out of play not direct metagame exposition. When we're going into an SC, I frame the scene from the character's perspective, not the players. It is similar to what I already do in a combat. When the characters enter a room and see orcs, they might think "combat is about to ensue", but that might depend on their actions. The orcs might raise their weapons and charge immediately, or the orcs might wait and see. I don't roll initiative (the metagame) until the combat really starts. That way there are "infinite" options, with open combat simply being one of them.
I basically do the same thing with combat. With that in mind, when we do enter a skill challenge, it's at that point I tell them they're in one, what the complexity is (so they know their advantages / successes necessary / Hard checks necessary / etc.), and then have them roll initiative, just like I would for combat. However, I do like to explicitly announce when we do enter a skill challenge, so that the players can utilize the resource management aspect of it (advantages, going for different DCs at different points, etc.).
As an example of a setup for a skill challenge I might say, [SNIP cultist example]

At that point we are in the EC, but I've made no mention of skills allowed or disallowed. I've given them their goal (outrun the thugs out the tunnels) and I've framed the spatial situation (thugs coming, tunnel escape, carts, on foot, no combat, etc.). Usually at this time the players start asking questions and "planning" their actions.
This is about what I do, before asking "what do you do?" I usually don't even give them their options "carts, etc.", and just leave that stuff for them to figure out (though I might make suggestions to the "new" players).
The entire thing is a give and take. And they can ask questions just like in a combat. The more questions the better, it means they are getting into it. When the players go into the EC I don't initially disallow any skills, or actions. Simply because I can't think of all possible situations. I'd rather the players think on how they can achieve their goal without any predetermined restrictions. During the metagame I might say to them that something would not work as they want, but only after they describe what they want to do.
Yep, this is pretty much exactly what I do, too, which is why I agreed with you about your Intimidate example in your last post. I might say "you can't use Insight that way, since there's nobody to use it on currently present", but that doesn't mean that there aren't uses for Insight available that we haven't thought of. The Monk in my group has used Insight with nobody present a couple of times (to look for intent in a puzzle, and to look for insight into a maze).

I'm not going to blanket disallow any skill just because I don't see a use for it, though I might say "no, that's a Perception check, not Thievery, but it'll be a Thievery check later if you do find what you're looking for" or "no, you can't use Insight to determine that, since you have nobody and nothing to determine intent on."
This way they get to think without artificial restrictions. I might eventually disallow a particular skill use, or action, but not without first hearing their "argument". The Negotiation SC on the DMG is a perfect example of why I don't do that. Intimidation in that challenge was disallowed from the beginning without "listening" to the context in which the PC is framing his skill use. And there might be instances that the PC framing is appropriate.
Absolutely agreed.
Let me explain why I have certain "auto-success" conditions. It has a lot to do with the playstyle I want my players to engage in.

In a skill challenge, or in anything that uses a skill check there is also the "rolling for rolling's sake" situation. In the wizard's lab I've hidden his super secret key inside the jar on top of his desk, the one with the colored marbles. When I describe the wizard's lab and his desk I mention the glass jar with marbles. If a PC asks if he can see something unusual about the desk, he might have to make a Perception check to find the key. But if the player says, I go to the desk and open the glass jar with marbles and pour them out on the desk to look for the big ones. Should I have him make a Perception roll to notice the key that obviously fell out?
I'd let him see the key. I don't think that finding the key should be the end of the skill challenge, though, nor do I see why it'd need to be an automatic success, then. It's going to change the fictional context of the ongoing skill challenge (they have the key, and now what do they do with it?), but it's still ongoing (at my table, at least).
That is what I mean. There are some situations in which the PCs clearly think out of the box that we, as DMs, have created. Making them roll just so we can keep the appearance of "challenge" is counterproductive. Based on that same idea let's look at the example of the ladder. As the DM or adventure writer I've determined that they need to make an Athletics check to reach the glass pane. When the wizard character asks if they have a ladder he has "broken out" of the box. He came up with a situation that I did not think about. The wizard character is the one less likely to be able to make an Athletics check, so why am I going to make him roll? He has given me an out condition, and IMO should be rewarded. This becomes an auto-success to get to the glass pane. That is the type of play I want them to have, immersive on the gameworld level, not on the metagame level. He went past that piece of the "challenge" because of thoughtful play. So he gets a success without rolling for it. This doesn't end the EC, but they have a success without rolling.

I hope that explains it better.
Ah, it does somewhat explain things. I don't run any pre-made adventures, and I've never, ever been in a situation where the "adventure" told me that an "Athletics roll is required, and grants 1 success." Since I've never been that boxed in, I don't think that I've really worried about this kind of thing before. If this was something I was running, and I felt like it was necessary to run it similar to what the adventure had already, I'd likely give an auto-success, too. I just don't run into that kind of thing at all, and so your reasoning didn't make sense until now.
This is normal and should be expected. They will look at their best skill is not an aberration. It is good that your players are going beyond that. This is something to encourage.
Yep :)
I explained above how I handle it and why. If I had the climbing part as a piece of the challenge, and they came up with a feasible/effective way to not have to climb then they get an auto-success for that piece. Sure they might still have to do other things as part of the challenge but they've already accumulated a success.
In the context of a pre-made adventure, it makes a lot more sense to me, yep.
I hope that the explanation that I provided clears up what I meant. They don't get to have a "shorter" challenge, they simply accumulated a success without having to roll because of thoughtful play. The same way that what a character says to a duke might color the way the duke views that character with a bonus, a penalty, or even without having to roll. These are all pieces of the roleplaying.
It does make more sense, and it's just a different approach to mine. I'd give a bonus, but not an automatic success. But, for me, I'm relying on the forced narrative structure of skill challenges to prolong the encounter (but not indefinitely), so that we can see how the fictional context changes due to that forced structure. Because of me leaning on that forced narrative structure to begin with, I'm not looking to bypass it (even a little bit) with automatic successes, I'm looking to see how it contributes to my game. I still want to reward engaging and thoughtful play (getting a ladder, in this example, or bringing up something the duke cares about), so I'll give a bonus, but I don't want to bypass successes / failures and the changing context brought on by them. That's part of the fun!
I'm not trying to bypass the narrative either, I'm trying to keep it narrative. Your handling of the drawer example is not much different than what I'm trying to explain, but the secret that was found did not require a roll, so it's an auto-success for that particular piece. My explanation above covers this.
Yep, got it, now :)
Yep, this all still lines up with what I mentioned. I handle it pretty much the same, but The Negotiation challenge does pose a situation where an auto-failure is warranted during the delicate negotiation. It all depends on context. You are dealing with the duke after all, not some bum from the streets. When Theoden says, "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." This could be a situation where the particular skill use was considered an auto-failure on Aragorn's part.
I'd probably consider it a failed roll, but it's always hard to judge fiction and the mechanics of any system.
The same way that getting into a combat when the party is trying to escape down the mine tunnels might be an auto-failure. But what if the dwarven paladin steps forward and says, "Okay lads, I have not much use for running. My time of reckoning has come. I feel the warmth of Moradin gaze and he awaits me in his halls. I will hold them as long as I can. Now get into those carts and flee!" Man what a glorious end. Let that character step forward and hold that line. That might even be an auto-success as he delays the enemy with his sacrifice. There are consequences to it, but man that is one awesome way to get immersed.
Big moments of sacrifice do move me to make exceptions. If it's an escape scene, I could even see myself ending the entire skill challenge, and letting the rest of the party escape. This doesn't come up often, from my experience; my players basically always look for any out, up to the end, even if they're very Good characters.
It might be possible to keep going but at this point it might be futile because of circumstances. That is mostly for the DM to decide.
Yes, definitely on the DM.
Correct, and this is the "proper" way to design them, and run them. However there are some that don't follow that piece of advice in the DMG.
I might even break away from that in my normal RPG and group, but in 4e, I'm following this bit of advice. Of course, I'm ignoring a lot of other advice (explicitly always ignoring skills, or explicitly accepting certain skills), so I can see how the need to state this is kinda necessary on my part.
I never meant that your skill challenges were "dice rolling festivals." However this particular accusation comes up enough when dealing with skill challenges. So it is important to examine how we're running, and designing, them to make sure they don't turn out that way.
Agreed.
I just run them/design them differently. Yes, both our methods rely on the fiction in progress. I just prefer not to put the metagame for the skill challenge front and center. That is the reason I don't announce it, I ease them into it by engaging the fiction rather than the metagame. There is nothing wrong with your way of doing it. I just doesn't work well for my group as it immediately drops them out from the immersion in the game world. I hope my explanation above made sense of that.
To a certain extent, yes, but I think I'd find it a bit too limiting, still. I do present things from a character perspective, but I can see how explicitly dealing with the mechanics might be too much for certain groups. But, I rely on my players to handle things in combat, so I expect no less in skill challenges. Just a group preference thing.
Never thought you were shooting down the advice, if anything you have been a wonderful listener to the advice. You measure it, and see if it works for you. That is the best type of "student". Engaging the fiction is exactly what I'm talking about, and you and your players seem to be doing it well. I just wanted to add to the particulars of skill challenges because they seem to be the most misunderstood piece of 4e, and for good reason.
Glad you understood where I was coming from. I hope your advice hits home for many people, as skill challenges really can use a lot of advice. I remember looking over this list ([URL="http://[URL"]http://www.critical-hits.com/features/skill-challenges/[/url]) a while ago. Lots of useful stuff in there.
Not a problem, glad I could help.
Thanks again :)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
FWIW, I think clerics do have it rough in 4E skill challenges. They typically have armor penalties compounding mediocre Str and Dex scores. The only class skills that build upon their Wis are Heal and Insight, and they don't get Endurance to build upon their Con. Half their class skills, including the mandatory one, use Int, a traditional dump stat. Your sha'ir wizard might have a better Religion bonus than your cleric. Other characters are quite likely to have better scores in two of the more common Wis skills, Perception and Nature. If I were playing a mul cleric, I would definitely look at using backgrounds to augment my list of class skills.
Yep, this hits a lot of what his problem is (and he doesn't have Insight trained, either), I think. The Wizard's Religion would be better, if she took it, but she took other skills to round out the group. Also, I'm pretty sure the Warpriest's background helped his Heal skill, though he could have made Endurance a class skill with it. He does love his very high Heal skill, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Of course, even if he made Endurance a class skill, he'd need to lose a skill to train in it, and I think he'd still take check penalty on it (though at least he has a 16 Con). Something I can bring up with him. Thanks for pointing it out.
If the PC shines in Insight and Heal, I would make it clear that Insight could be useful in social encounters to determine what makes NPCs tick. Heal can often be used not just to heal creatures, but to determine how long a creature has been dead, to identify a murder weapon, to avoid healing-surge loss due to a failure, etc.
He does use Heal quite often, and in a variety of ways (clean the party up, determine what killed things, stop blood trails, treat the party, etc.). He's not trained in Insight, but he was thinking of multi-classing and picking it up as a trained skill. If he does, then these would also be good uses, and another skill he'd be well-suited for with his high Wisdom.

Remove ads