• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

jann, janni, djinn, djinni, aaaigh!

Huw

First Post
Use what you want. Many languages influenced by Arabic have jinn as the singular. Turkish has cin, plural cinler. Albanian has xhind, plural xhindet, Malay has jin, plural jinjin. All just take the word and adapt it to the local linguistic conditions. English seems to be the weird one in trying to keep the original grammar - but English does that for so many words. I believe classical Arabic has junun as the plural anyway.

Stormonu

Legend
Remember, the addition of "I" is for me alone. Except for the marid, of course. I wonder why they aren't the maridi of the marid?

BTW, just to keep those two malefic fiends straight, I purposely have always called daemons as DAY-mons, versus demons as DEE-mons.

Orius

Legend
English seems to be the weird one in trying to keep the original grammar - but English does that for so many words. I believe classical Arabic has junun as the plural anyway.

English is a very promiscuous language to begin with and doesn't seem to bother much with Anglicising words these days it seems. So that's one reason why we've got this. Second, D&D genies aren't mythological Arabic genies. So they're all called genies, since that's the generic English transliteration, while we get jinni and djanni as variants (which probably are probably just the same Arabic word anyway) so we can have all those nifty elemental variants.

All fear...Lord of the Janni!

Dannyalcatraz strikes again. Now I'm going to have to put a genie based on MC Hammer in my game.

BTW, just to keep those two malefic fiends straight, I purposely have always called daemons as DAY-mons, versus demons as DEE-mons.

I just pronounce daemon as yugoloth.

Remove ads