January 2010 Releases: Underdark, PH Heroes: Dragonborn, Galaxy of Intrigue

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Over on the WotC boards, Jedi_Comedian revealed that the next STAR WARS book, Galaxy of Intrigue, had shown up on Amazon. I thought I'd take a look and report on what was coming for WotC's other game. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-4th...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240973036&sr=1-6

THanks for the heads up! This is the type of supplement that is really needed for the game. DO you have any more information?

The sourcebook for different eras are arguably alot like releasing new campaign worlds. If you want to play in KOTOR era, the clone wars may not be useful. I was hoping to see more general supplements.

Many thanks!

Henrix

Explorer
I like the idea. Better to get a smallish book with a single race than the 3E "let's jam as many races together with a theme that often is pretty tenuous" method.

Indeed! I think this is a move to get not just the DMs to buy the books.

For U$10 many players might want to get the book for their race, especially if there is some specific crunch in there as well as good fluff.

I doubt I'll get them all as a DM, but I might well get the ones for my own PCs.

Nymrohd

First Post
A book 32 pages long? I hope it has a lot of fluff. However much I like browsing D&D books, if it is mostly crunch I get in the DDI I won't get something that small.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Players handbook races

I would say that this is not a book but a new set of miniatures. The pricing is the same as the current crop of mini's as is the naming convention.

I have also seen amazon make this sort of error with Wizards products in the past that were not books.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Until coming into this thread i didn't notice the page count, I just assumed it was a new set of dragonborn only minis, an idea i liked in fact. (My group has 3 dragonborn in it)

I'm still sure it's minitures, it just makes sense.

avin

First Post
I guess is paperback... but ...

Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement (Paperback)

Malacoda

First Post
Now, perhaps they do larger runs of the "Practical Guide" series because they can market them as kids books, but I can't imagine the difference in run sizes affecting product cost to THAT degree. And if it does, maybe WotC should be working harder to expand the audience for their product.

It would not surprise me to find that a book marketed to kids and adults that wasn't tied to a niche hobby had a tenfold print run over a book that is practically a niche within a niche. Maybe even more, or much more, than tenfold.

That kind of difference in quantity can easily explain the price. And, there is nothing Wizards can do to shore the difference up between the two to any massive degree when the disparity is so massive.

Almacov

First Post
That kind of difference in quantity can easily explain the price. And, there is nothing Wizards can do to shore the difference up between the two to any massive degree when the disparity is so massive.

You're probably right. It's a sad fact though.

I just wish there were more products that bridge the novels and the game material. Personally, noone in my gaming group reads WotC fantasy novels. That said, I know that a lot of people do. When I walk into a large-chain book store the shelving and stock for WotC novels is massive, whereas usually RPGs get a tiny section tucked away somewhere out of the way. This shelving dilemma alone must frustrate D&D's marketing people.
I think they need bridge products that they can plant in the novel section (Few to no game mechanics elements). One set of products that sortof filled this bridge space was choose-your-own-adventure novels, but those have earned a pretty bad reputation over the years, and most people I've spoken to think they're gimmicky, generally poorly written, and not worth reading.
What I hope to see in the next few years are products that provide world/setting detail, no mechanics (or better yet mechanics linked to them as a web enhancement), and the ability to be shelved in the "Fantasy" section of a book store rather than the tiny "Games" shelf. (Or better yet, maybe the ability to wind up on both.)

In short, I'm moaning about the fact we don't have enough players in the game. Sorry for taking up thread-space.

Remove ads