• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Japanes Sword Additions and Corrections

mmu1

First Post
genshou said:

Even after Anubis said that, nobody seemed to notice. He said that he was wrong, something no one on the other side has done yet. It takes a greater man to admit he was wrong than iis required for a man to mindlessly defend himself.

Please, what a load of $#!^. He backpedaled to say "both sides were partially wrong and right" after it was shown he didn't have an idea of what he was talking about, and started to talk about how heavy weapons "feel" (which it seems no one besides him and his anonymous "professor" friend seems to have heard about as a way of describing weapon weight) to pretend he didn't make a fool of himself when he claimed he had a "longsword" weighing 7 pounds.

No one on the "other side" feels the need to admit to being wrong, because none of us embarassed ourselves talking out of our butts and now have to desperately re-word our argument to make it sound more plausible and save face, hoping people like you get taken in by it...
And then there's the whole "being right" thing, I don't think it makes sense to admit to being wrong when that's not the case.

All his "argument" really amounts to at this point, since he still can't provide any meaningful information about his swords besides "Katana goood, Longsword baaad.", is that he's either a)Not strong enough or trained properly to use a "longsword" or b) Has a piece of crap of a sword made as a wall ornament, and he's trying to use that "knowledge" to make universal claims about Japanese and Occidental swords and swordfighting.

And, I see, on careful review of the last couple of posts, also starting to get a little desperate and showing how open-minded he is by comparing another poster to the Nazis. Damn, aren't the two of you special. :rolleyes:

mmu1

First Post
Anubis said:

*Sigh*

It's obvious that you have absolutely no hands-on knowledge of weaponry, nor do you have any knowledge of how battles were fought with such weapons. There is obviously no point in arguing with you, as it compares to arguing morality with Nazis.

Ah, the ultimate rhetorical tool of a self-righteous moron... When all else fails, call your opponent a Nazi.

Xeriar

First Post
Anubis said:

*Sigh*

It's obvious that you have absolutely no hands-on knowledge of weaponry, nor do you have any knowledge of how battles were fought with such weapons. There is obviously no point in arguing with you, as it compares to arguing morality with Nazis.

Well then, I can just let this stand on its own, it seems.

Planesdragon

First Post
er, Anubis?

Anubis said:

*Sigh*

Anubus:

Have you ever trained professionally with swords? Where? (a LARP or SCAdian combat doesn't count.) Have you ever been in a real deadly battle where you've used a sword? Against someone else who knew what they were doing with a sword?

I highly doubt that the answers to all of the above are "yes." You may have trained with a sword, and you may very well have been in a real fight with a sword--but probably not both.

As for that Nazi jab--arguing morality with Nazis can be very productive. You might change their mind, and at the least you'd have cause to better order your moral and ethical stances.

However, you've invoked Godwin's Law, which is an observation of internet discussions. This thread has reached the point (rather quickly, actually) where no further reasonable discussion can happen.

Fenes 2

First Post
Re: er, Anubis?

Planesdragon said:
This thread has reached the point (rather quickly, actually) where no further reasonable discussion can happen.

That was to be expected from the beginning. Katanas are like elves or ninja (and rangeres) - a lot of people either idolize or detest them.

Some people like to recreate the myths/images spawned by anime/tolkien while others consider this blasphemy against the holy grail of game balance. As long as you have fun in your game it works, but don't expect others to like your choices.

(For the record: I am perfectly happy with katanas being bastard swords, elves being just another race, and ninja/rangers built by multiclassing rogue, fighter & druid/monk/mage.)

mmu1

First Post
Re: Re: er, Anubis?

Fenes 2 said:

That was to be expected from the beginning. Katanas are like elves or ninja (and rangeres) - a lot of people either idolize or detest them.

I don't detest katanas... I think they're very good weapons (when used against enemies and armor they were designed to defeat) and many of the ones that surive to this day are works of art.

I detest mindless Katana Fanboys.

Planesdragon

First Post
Re: Re: er, Anubis?

Fenes 2 said:

Some people like to recreate the myths/images spawned by anime/tolkien while others consider this blasphemy against the holy grail of game balance. As long as you have fun in your game it works, but don't expect others to like your choices.

But, regardless of the flavor you want, Game Balance can be preserved. Want to make katanas amazing weapons and elves godlike beings? Just increase their cost and ECL.

Anubis

First Post
Like I said, I'm not gonna argue with a bunch of people who ain't got a lick of sense. You morons say I'm trying to save face, when what happens was I mistook balance weight for actual weight, something a scholar also did, meaning that IT HAPPENS. You fools need to get over it.

I never called anyone a Nazi. I said arguing with you guys is like arguing morality with a Nazi: in other words, it's counterproductive to your time and useless and pointless because no matter how wrong he is, he ain't ever gonna see it.

So in closing, you can take your flaming and trolling and insults and stick 'em up your rears. No one ever gave you fools the right to fling insults at me, and I won't put up with it anymore. Got a problem with that? BITE ME!

To the actual discussion, I would say 1d8/18-20/x2 crit would indeed be a good stat for the katana, as it would be mechanically similar to 1d10/19-20/x2 except with a threat range increase instead of a damage increase and it would better reflect the nature of the katana as a precision finesse weapon.

Shadowrun Man

First Post
This thread has been derailed many times, then got back on topic. This has been quite amusing, the insults being handed out by the hand full. Really quite amusing, but how about we keep the insults to a minimum, it is quite diminishing of are quite intelligent posters here.

Anyways to move back onto track, here are the proposed stats for the Katana:
Cost Damage Crit Size Type
Katana* 400gp 3d4 18-20/x2 Medium Slashing

Notes:
Counts as a masterwork weapon. *Counts as an exotic weapon(Katana) when used one handed, and counted as a martial weapon when used two handed.

The new Katana is basically an enlarge scimitar, I added an additional 1d4 to the damage because the lenght of the blade. Now I was wrong on a few things, that what I get for letting my heratige blind me, but that is besides the point. Now yes the Katana was used in battle on occasions. But if I was a samurai (ha that is funny, me being a samurai), I would not risk lossing my Katana in battle, I would just use a battle sword. I have given up on the No-Doshi argument, to much trouble tryin to find info.

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
Anubis said:

You morons! I mistook balance for tumble, I mean weight, just like a scholar, I don't know his name, but if you're a scholar on the internet, you can't be wrong, and I didn't call you a Nazi, you bunch of freakin' Nazi morons! I will bite your rears, but I'm not trying to save face!

Sorry, could you repeat that again, but without all the yelling and the spitting?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads