• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Japanese translations

coyote6

Adventurer
Hey,

I'm making an M&M character, and I'd like to get some translations for a couple of names for nominally Japanese villains. I used Google's language tools to come up with these (and www.romaji.org to get a version I could read :) ), but I suspect they're lousy Japanese:

Golden Sentinel Society: ゴールデンセンティネル社会, or go^rudensenteineru shakai

Avenging Wind: 復しゅうの風, or fuku shuuno kaze
or
Wind of Vengeance: 風の復讐, or kaze no fukushuu

So, is there anyone that actually speaks Japanese that can give me better translations or suggestions for those names (or something close to them)?

FWIW, Avenging Wind/Wind of Vengeance is a name for a Japanese supervillain from the '60s-'70s -- a "overthrow the government, bring back the good old imperial days" kind of guy. The Golden Sentinel Society is a secret society/occult conspiracy kind of group.

mmadsen

First Post
Golden Sentinel Society: ゴールデンセンティネル社会, or go^rudensenteineru shakai
The first few syllables of that "translation" are just a phonetic spelling of "golden" in katakana, followed by a phonetic spelling of "sentinel".

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I am not a native speaker of Japanese but I have studied it for a few years.

社会=society...literally at the level of an entire civilization. A smaller voluntary association uses only the character 会 (かい)。 スポーツ会 is "sports club" for example.

復讐 is the same as 復しゅう (is pronounced identically) but the second character is sometimes written phonetically.

復讐の風 is "wind of vengeance" or "avenging wind." You make nouns into adjectives using the formula nounのmodified noun. The opposite order 風の復讐 would translate to something like "vengeance of the wind-variety," the answer to the question, "what type of vengeance are you going to carry out?" Kind of weird. :)

If you want to make a kanji (Chinese character) equivalent to "golden sentinel" you can string together the words "gold" (the metal) and "sentry."

金見張り (きんみはり)=kin mi ha ri. It is not a real word but

金見張り会 "kin mi ha ri kai" sounds pretty cool. :)

Hope that helps.

p.s. Native Japanese speakers: please feel free to correct me if I said anything silly.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
The first few syllables of that "translation" are just a phonetic spelling of "golden" in katakana, followed by a phonetic spelling of "sentinel".

What he said. Might I suggest 金色の歩哨社会 (konjiki no hoshou shakai)instead? I'm not sure how grammatically correct that is but it is better then romaji.

EDIT: Beated by the Ninja who also knows Japanese. "kin mi ha ri kai" does sound cool though. I believe that mine is a more literal translation. However cool is more important unless you are actually playing with a Japanese person, but if that was the case I think you would have asked that person your question first.

Last edited:

Parlan

First Post
復讐 is the same as 復しゅう (is pronounced identically) but the second character is sometimes written phonetically.

復讐の風 is "wind of vengeance" or "avenging wind." You make nouns into adjectives using the formula nounのmodified noun. The opposite order 風の復讐 would translate to something like "vengeance of the wind-variety," the answer to the question, "what type of vengeance are you going to carry out?" Kind of weird. :)

I'm also a non-native speaker but have studied Japanese for years.

Not to get to detailed here, but I'd skip the "no" ("の") altogether. Names of societies are often just strings of characters, and if that makes the meaning grammatically unclear, well, unclear = mystery and mystery = cool.

So I'd write "avenging wind" as just "fukushuu kaze". 復讐風. "Kaze" can also be read/pronounced "gaze" or "fuu" if either of those sounds cooler to your ear.

As you can see, there's a lot of room for personal preference here!

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I'm Japanese so I could help.
But now I'm at work, so just quick idea only at this time.
I'll think/explain more later, if you want.

Avenging Wind:復讐の風(fukusyu no kaze)
Golden Sentinel Society:黄金歩哨協会(ougon hoshou kyoukai)

Flobby

Explorer
I'm not native either but I've been here longer than dirt...

復讐の風 sounds cool but if its someone's name would you need the の? Often old names don't have the の written even if its pronounced. Or maybe 復讐ノ風 to give it a more ancient fill. There maybe a single character that means vengence... but I'm not aware of one...
As for Golden Sentinel Society: the word 協会 sounds kinda modern to me. Maybe just 会? something like 黄金歩哨会.

Unless of course your not going for an ancient feel...

coyote6

Adventurer
Sweet! Thanks, guys. Those sound way better than what online translators were mangling up with.

Ancient doesn't really matter so much for the villain, but it would probably fit the group. Kin mi ha ri kai sounds good, but so do the others. So, I will go with fukushuu kaze and ougon hoshou kai.

(I don't think anybody in my group reads kanji, but I'll copy & paste 'em just in case.)

Remove ads