DDAL Jasper DMs Season 3

jasper

Rotten DM
Bilbo nearly died and I was going to kill him the next round if the other pcs had not come to his rescue. The module needs a little work. It more of "Tour of the Underdark" than anything else. DMing for new people is very interesting when you you have a hard close limit of 930 PM. So everything after the Froggy battle is made up just so the module will be over.

jasper

Rotten DM
Oh my gawd look what I found from Feb 2017.
Harried in Hillsfar Review

I started with a table of 3 and ended with a table of 4. 3 clerics and 1 rogue, with one cleric being fourth. The two first level clerics sold most of their stuff and bought higher AC armor which helped. Except for healing potions most the other potions, scrolls and silver weapons were reluctantly taken. I told the players to save time I was running the missions in order.

Mission 1 a boy gets his goat. Only had a weak party at the start so they only fought 1 goat. This was also the start of Pyra the light cleric bad rolls. Either he rolled badly, or I saved against his spells most of the night. The other cleric did roll a Nat 20 on Intelligence roll for the unholy check. Combat went the pc way. Finding the boy part was over quickly just to average rolls on my part.

Mission 2. Knowing how murder hobo two of the players were and not liking the jail sentence part of the mission I had the Red Plumes say their lines and ride off before the pcs could start something. Entering the HUGE CELLAR as a player called it was interesting. The pcs were slow on the uptake and combat started. Nat 20 and YES another name for my skull. This was first time for max damage. The player challenge me to roll the second set of damage dice to prevent this and still the total came out to 20. Looking over adjusting the encounter and my combat results, the Bounty Hunter combat seems to hit or miss. And the red plume part of mission is a game over if the party jumps the plumes.

Both of the first missions seem off to me and the group, I think was one third the missions and two thirds us. The game store I game with have weekly magic tourney at the same time so some nights we have noise problems and I think some of players were just not into gaming the first 90 minutes.

Mission 3. The fairy dragon did more damage to the party between his breath weapon and the pits than the jackalweres. I let on player run Wittel. And even though I offered up the silver scimitar before the final combat people were wary. Wittel did save and end combat on the last jackalwere with a Nat 20. No one could use the scimitar and no one wanted to take it. I forget who decide to take in case they revamped their pc. If it was up to me I would change the silver weapon to one the pcs could use.

Mission 4. I forgot to type up the clue for the first room. I suggest a dm do type up the clue and pass it out. The guy running Garland the fourth level life cleric knew the clue we stepped away from the table for about 5 minutes to give the group time to solve it. This is also where time stopped. It was just after 9 pm when the clue was solve but combat and other stuff slowed down the game after this. I did not draw all the rooms out like on the map. Just one room at a time. The reason was the second room with 9 doors. I suggest the dm roll a d10 and a player roll a d10 and ignore 10. That should be the passage way to final room. The dretch’s stink helps make the encounter difficult. I did mixed up the placement of the monsters. And the cauldrons with the braziers from mission 5. But once they got rid of dretch, they were able to kill 4 manes and knock over the cauldron.

Mission 5. To save time and since the final map (roughly 100 by 150 feet) I just drew “X”s where the pc could not go. First gripe. The braziers are scatter all over the map but the cultists do not have missile weapons listed. I gave them long bows. Second gripe a monsters with cannot be hurt until x, y, or z. The players rolled with it. And this where Pyra’s god finally quit watching soaps and paying attention. I failed all by saving throws when he casted. But (and we were laughing about it) he only rolled 1’s all night for damage.

I suggest the missions be played in order. The dm print out 7 copies of handout 1. The dm type up and print out 7 copies of the clue in mission 4.

I did add to my dm supplies. I had a small $2 white board which I wrote AC down on. I add a wire book display holder. Glued two neo-magnets on the back of white board so it will stay on the stand.

jasper

Rotten DM
DDEX03-07 Session 1

Herald of the Moon

Day 16-27

Pc Killed 0 Monsters Killed 28 Villains Captured 0 Villains Escaped 0

No advancement. Group is taking a long rest. We pick up on page 17

Magic Items Potion of Animal Friendship, Scroll of protection from plants.

Start time 7:26 End Time 9:18.

I had a weak of four. And these games are teaching the system sessions also. Bilbo Case Rogue 9 aka the Rodeo Clown. Youngblood Barbarian 9. Tristen Rogue 5 pregen. Giants Bain Bard 7.

I gave the group the background of the module which went five paragraphs. At the end I summed up. TLDR The bard you been helping needs help with her grandma.

Part 1 is just meeting Elanil Elassidil. Hearing about her granny Shade Coin which holds granny’s soul. And travelling to the big wood. I pushed this part. The group bought mounts. A riding horse, a donkey, and two dogs. But they did not push the travel fully but do the gallop trot walk. (Note this is a timed or check pointed adventure.) Both Bilbo and Bain arrive with saddle sores. (If you are riding a dog, would that be dog piles?)

They get to Rimwood which the outer layer of pine forest protecting Cormanthor. They ignore the dim light coming from the shadows. Dim light of Faerzress.

They come across a trampled area as if giants have been playing wrestling matches. Bilbo Case starts jumping up and down on a smooth flat section. The barbarian looks closely.

Youngblood, “I would stop that now.”

Bilbo, “Why I just clowning around. “

Youngblood, “Because, you clown you are jumping up and down.”

Suddenly to his left and right Bilbo see huge teeth, above him he sees daylight. Below the throat of monster, which he is inside the mouth of. He tosses an alchemist flask down the throat of the Bulette. The fight really starts. Bilbo tries to ride the Bulette. Everyone else tries to kill it. The bucking Bulette tosses Bilbo thirty feet in four seconds. The rest of the party kills the Bulette. As they taking a breath, the mate comes out of ground and charges Youngblood. Bilbo climbs on its back and tries to stab the eyes with some success. (This is a hard starting fight. But they pulled it out.)

After getting lost, they come to a huge thicket. They can’t pass. Some cantrips are tried. No help. Bilbo gets bored and fertilizes the thicket. The thicket helps him wipe up his mess to four points of damage and poison oak damage where poison oak should not be. Finally, Youngblood uses some of his alchemist fire to burn a path. They are now in Midwood. It is very dark under the trees. (Due to no factions being present, one encounter is skipped.)

After an hour, they come to a small clearing. A hill giant is tearing the leg off a white stag. Three boars are eating an elf. Huge the Hill Giant demands they go away. They don’t want to go away or fight. But the group will perform for the entertainment of the Huge. (WAIT WHAT? DM asked for a performance check. Even with bard’s pluses to performance the max result was 9.)

Huge is not impressed with the group’s performance. He tosses the remainder of the stag in Youngblood’s face. Good shot from 90 feet away. During the fight Tristen finally gets his +1 short bow zeroed. (Hint take the cover off the sights. No. The player had been rolling badly all night until this fight.) Bilbo uses his second-story work ability to climb Huge and whisper sweet nothings into the giant’s ear.

Huge, “Your poem sucks!” He grabs Bilbo’s head with his thumb and forefinger and starts to squeeze his tiny head.

Bilbo, “Every one a critic.”

Huge, “Me not critical you but did roll two 9. Which makes two hits. Is you dead yet?”

Bilbo, “Yes.” Huge drops the body of the thief and grinds his foot on top of it like putting out a cigarette butt.

Huge, “Here have some club soda barbarian.”

Youngblood, “Sorry I only drink the hard stuff. Ouch”. He says as he is reduced to 12 hit points.

Bilbo, “BUT I AM ONLY MOSTLY DEAD!” (The player rolled a NAT 20 on his death save.)

After a few more rounds, the boars and giant are dead. The group decides to take a long rest.

Note you have been in combat twice. I forgot for you to roll versus madness. At the beginning of the game next time, roll Wisdom Save Throw DC 12. The DC 12 will be the set number until I find out different. Also roll a DC 15 Wisdom save for the long rest. SO, two madness checks.

jasper

Rotten DM
Bilbo player clowns around a lot. (Clown should be swapped out with adult language.) Most of the time it is fun. And most of time, he quits clowning around during combat. But tonight he was being a pill. In fact the only person who was okay with him was Tristan and this is his second game. I think the drive home with his dad, they may have been a talk.

jasper

Rotten DM
DDEX03-07 Session 2

Herald of the Moon

Day 28

PC Killed 1 Monsters Killed 32 Villains Captured 0 Villains Escaped 0

Gain a level. Gain 20 Downtime days. 240 GP. Tristen your PC gains a level and 80 GP.

Magic Item Oathbow named Shadowsong.

Story Award Grandma Gone on. You did not make in time. Granny is truly dead.

For those with second stage madness it is over at the end of a long rest. Everyone needs to keep track of their madness level. Youngblood is at 2. I think Giants Bain at 2. Bilbo Case at 1. Tristen is does not matter since he bringing in a new pc next time.

Remind me to make you roll for madness if you are in the Faerzress.

Start time 7:17 End Time 9:18.

I had a weak of four. And these games are teaching the system sessions also. Bilbo Case Rogue 9 aka the Rodeo Clown. Youngblood Barbarian 9. Tristen Rogue 5 pregen. Giants Bain Bard 7.
Half the group gain a long rest. Those with saddle sores did not due to the module said so.

I skipped the Treant encounter for two reason. One if was a faction mission. Two time was a factor.

The group awakes from their mostly restful slumber. They walk farther in to the dimly glowing forest. They must be mad. (Now they are!) The trees grow up to four hundred feet high. In the distance they hear a heavy metal rock concert. With an out of tune banjo laying down the beats. The group sneak a peek. (By now everyone has exhaustion one. And one level of madness.)

Youngblood, “Bad Party.”

Giant’s Bain, “Good Party”

Tristen, “Cool a seven string banjo.”

Bilbo Case, “Hello evil drow party. Partying like it is 1499. BLOCKING the Stair way to heaven.”

Youngblood, “You’re not getting to heaven. Nor college with your grades.”

Bilbo, “DAD. Play your pc.”

The group decides to bluff their way by Youngblood been a slaver and all the halflings being slaves. (DM Note. Yes, you can change the race of the pregen not the stats.)

Youngblood starts yelling and screaming at the slaves. Which really throws some bad vides at the drow party. Drava approaches Youngblood.

Drava, “Mwa. Mwa. Mwa.”

Youngblood, “Darn kids. Speak Southern.”

Tristian, “It is undercommon I will translate.” (Good DM. Did not want to do MWA again.)

Youngblood, “Just passing some slaves to heaven.”

Bilbo Case in Common, “I insult her.”

Tristian, “She didn’t understand you. But with that attitude you never got to heaven.”

Bilbo Case, “See stair. Go up stair. Will be in heaven.”

Drava, “You are putting a downer on our party. Pass on. Move on. Nothing to see here. And quit looking up my skirt, bard!”

Having no elevator, they climb the steps. And climb the steps. And climb the steps. And climb the steps. (I am exhausted from writing that sentence and so are the pcs.)

The group defeat some Will-o-wisps, nearly fall to their doom twice. Wipe the floor up with some ochre Jellies. And pause to rest a living mural of library elf petting a cat.

Bard, “Nice p… Cat. I wouldn’t mind petting the p… Cat.”

Ghost of Kesymys Librarian, “You wouldn’t have a ghost of the chance. Game time. I ask a question. You answer. You as a question. I answer.

Bard, “Would…” The ghost puts a hand over Giants Bain mouth. “I told you, you wouldn’t have a ghost of chance. Any real questions?”

Tristen as what is further ahead. A forked branch. Some doors. An arch way. And the abbey.

Bilbo Case flips a coin and asks about danger.

Kesymys, “You have wisdom. You will walk a long path to wisdom. Either on the path or archway.” (Grrrr. Encounter hint of trap and actual trap location does not match.”

The bard starts to make another remark but is shot a chilling look for the ghost.

Bilbo moves on dashing down an unstable branch and makes to the archway. (Disadvantage and still gets good rolls.) The rest of the group takes the other branch way and belays themselves across.

The group is front of archway and door to the abbey.

Youngblood, “Wisdom. I remember something about wisdom.” (Again people as a DM please take notes but I understand most of you are new. As long as you give me a hint of what you trying I will roll with it.)

The door opens after Youngblood head butts it.

Meira Faerenduil,” At last, you have come; long has been my vigil, but not in vain." Is heard from the darkness. A shadow unicorn is between the group and the voice. Bilbo Case walks up to the unicorn as Youngblood lights another torch.

Bilbo, “Hugs to the nice unicorn. Farts to Granny Bard Elf Ugly voice.” (Dm takes off his glasses. You hug the unicorn. And insult the grandmother of the quest giver. Sigh! Take 21 and DC 14 con save.)

Meira, “I feel my coin. Who has it!”

Tristen, “I do!” He holds the coin. And is sneak attacked and critical by the Ghost.

Bilbo, “Sneak Attack! She has no allies nearby.”

DM, “MONSTERS CHEAT!”

Tristen is down below eight hit points he will not take another hit. Baines cast healing word. Bilbo runs from the shadow unicorn aka wraith.

Bilbo, “Toss me the coin. Toss me the coin. I make sure she doesn’t get it.” (some discussion by players here about trusting Bilbo.) Tristen tosses the coin.

Bilbo snatches the coin out of the air and swallows it. (Table. What!) “Come and get it. I dare you. I going to censor censor.”

Meira, “You not getting to heaven with that mouth.”

Bilbo, “I already took the stairs. CENSOR.”

Meira, “So be it. Uni Attack!” The wraith moves and smacks Bilbo again for 21 points. Bilbo is lucky. No specter for him. But he is down. Meira goes over and reaches into his guts, pulling out the shadow coin.

Meira, “At last my coin. I can….”

Mostly dead with one death save pass Bilbo, “Retired to Florida and become a crazy cat lady. You censor.”

Meira, “You know that mouth on you just got you killed. You may want to shut up.”

Mostly dead with one death save pass Bilbo, “What. You can’t kill me. I double dog dare you to try.”

Meira, “You are crazy. You do know I have had my attack yet. And….”

Bilbo, “CENSOR. CENSOR.” Meira stabs him twice giving him four death saves failures.

Meira, “Please sign Skully on your way out. Now I will address the rest of the group.”

Meira holds up her coin, “Thanks for returning my coin for me. But the shadow time has pass. I no longer need it and will pass on. Here Tristen keep the coin. And take the dead one with you, dead bodies stink.”

Rest of the group, “Yes madam. Thank Your madam. Will do. Have a nice after life.”

The End.

DM Notes. Remember people you can ask questions about the module, ruling, etc. after the game.

Remove ads