• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jerry Mapes, manager emeritus of Knights & Knaves Alehouse Forum has passed.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I realize that the number of folks here who know Jerry or even of the Knights & Knaves Alehouse is probably vanishingly small, but Jerry was a great guy and a giving person. He helped me keep The Delvers Dungeon afloat during uncertain financial times back in 2007.

I spoke with him last Thursday. We talked of original D&D, the rise of "clone" games, life in general...

I told Jerry I'd give him a call this week. I wish to God I had the chance to at least say "bye".

God be with you, Jerry.

You've got a hell of a pair of DMs lined up to game with.

-Bill Silvey.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...I told Jerry I'd give him a call this week. I wish to God I had the chance to at least say "bye".

God be with you, Jerry.

You've got a hell of a pair of DMs lined up to game with.

-Bill Silvey.

I never had the fortune of knowing him, but those are wonderful sentiments. If you hold those beliefs, then perhaps he can hear you now.

I guess Gary, Dave and now Jerry are an indicator of just how much our hobby has aged. Our hobby extends from kids to gray-beards alike.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.:(

Treebore

First Post
I would be far more likely to recognize him by his user name from my brief time on those forums, but condolences nonetheless. When you share a hobby like ours, you kind of "know" anyone who we lose.

grodog

Hero
Jerry will be missed: his creation and founding of the Knights & Knaves Alehouse is what likely enabled the creation of OSRIC in the first place.

I never met Jerry in person, but I miss him nonetheless. I'll post funeral details here when I learn them, if Bill hasn't already done so.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Jerry will be missed: his creation and founding of the Knights & Knaves Alehouse is what likely enabled the creation of OSRIC in the first place.

I never met Jerry in person, but I miss him nonetheless. I'll post funeral details here when I learn them, if Bill hasn't already done so.

I haven't heard any; post away as you find out said details, Allan.

varagon

First Post

I haven't heard any; post away as you find out said details, Allan.

I'll find out for sure. We parted ways a few years ago, but I'm in constant contact with people know him and I live less than 20 minutes from his residence.

I was supposed to visit him on Tuesday but didn't make it away from work in time.

I'll post when I know more.

Update: No specifics: Funeral is on Monday, during the day, probably early afternoon, in Arma, KS.

Last edited:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Thank you, Varagon, for the update. If anyone (including yourself) can make it there, please extend condolences to the family. Being broke and nearly two thousand miles away negates the chance I can attend, sadly.

varagon

First Post
Update

Visitation for Jerry is from 10am - 11am. Funeral to begin ASAP after that.

I believe this is the address of the funeral home. Send any flowers in care of the funeral home:
[SIZE=+1]Bedene Funeral Home[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]517 E Washington St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Arma, KS 66712[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](620) 347-4200‎

I'll verify if this is correct as soon as I can. At the moment, this is the best I can do.

Any other places that this information may need to be posted?

[/SIZE]

Remove ads