• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jim Ward's latest 900 Words: More Bombast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felon said:
The part of Jim's attitude that I find to be so completely puerile is that he honestly believes that his laurels alone makes him unassailable from criticism, neutralizing any criticism directed at him by "less-trained" individuals.

You just now noticed that? ;)

I have been saying that for over a year now. The man is a punk, he is an unskilled punk will name recognition. What is worse is he is a punk with an attitude and ego who gets irrate when people don't kiss his butt just for being him.

Well every industry has its bottom-feeders. Jim Ward is the bottom-feeder of RPG.

kingpaul

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
You know, I have been gaming for over a decade and I NEVER heard of Jim Ward until they started putting the "900 words" in the EnWorld news.
I concur with this as well. I've been gaming since 80, and don't recall seeing Jim's name until his 900 words.

herald

First Post
I do have one thing to say about Jim's artical on the negative side. 900 words just doesn't work for him. He uses up to much of his time relating a story to get to a point that is in the last two sentences of his work.

I'm not sure what was the idea of "900 Words". It seems that it was an idea that was put together when the website was thought up and Jim decided that, "Hey, I'll write up so things about the trade and I'll call it "900 Words" because it will be about that long."

But by limiting the amount of words that Jim puts into the column, he actually hurts his cause more than he helps. He sounds terse, and bitter, when I'm sure that he really is more than likely like most of the posters on this board, hounded to for time and multitasking as well. The more I read Jim's article, the more I see that now and I cut him some slack because of it. But I also see why people have gotten the feelings that they have.

Just a little while ago I remember Morris posting a message on the main page that stated that he had no feelings about 3.5. And at first glance, I felt very disapointed that he wasn't more interested than he was. But then I got to thinking, well, it's not like he's in on the beta testing. So why would he be emotionally invested in it. 3ed works pretty well, so it's hard to get worked up about an upgrade.

Felon

First Post
Joseph Elric Smith said:
I would assume that includes your own?
ken

I don't think I've posted a comment on this board once without it being challenged. Suits me just fine, as long as the challenge follows certain basic standards about supporting their arguement. Or hell, come to think of it, just spew if you want. Makes it easier for me to rebutt :)

I infer from your previous comment that you know Jim personally. Well, I won't claim to know him or not, but suffice to say that his general niceness is not at issue here. He is not presenting himself in the best light in his columns.

As to any comments commending him for standing up to people "hurling tomatoes at him" or whatever, it's important to point out that giving a negative review about a FFE product is not tatamount to a personal attack on Jim Ward...and I don't think Jim or Lester really get that: the reviews are not about them. In fact, I think that's where this whole matter started. One of the major aspects of professionalism, especially in this industry, has to do with not taking things so damned personally.

Last edited:

El_Gringo said:
I'd start a personal boycott if it weren't for the fact that I already don't buy any FFE products.

LOL, yeah how do we show our displeasure with Jim Ward over this arrogant attitude?

What are you going to do? Laugh and skip their products twice?

Felon said:

Lol, yeah, I call that "John Byrne Syndrome". If you read comics, you'll get that, if not you won't.

I prefer calling it the Wagner Problem.

Jim Ward though is no great composer. He is though the same level of jerk.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's about enough. You want to make personal attacks? Say them to your cat, verbally. You want to discuss the column? Then post it here. But please don't engage in the type of gratuitous insults that I'm reading in this thread.

Piratecat said:
That's about enough. You want to make personal attacks? Say them to your cat, verbally. You want to discuss the column? Then post it here. But please don't engage in the type of gratuitous insults that I'm reading in this thread.

You are right. I will be good and I am sorry about what I said.

You have to admit though P'Cat. The man really does bring it onto himself with the way he acts. There are lots of poor game designers out there and 99.9% of them dont get an ounce of negative air time. Every ounce out here about Jim Ward has been generated by his comments and actions.

rounser

First Post
I concur with this as well. I've been gaming since 80, and don't recall seeing Jim's name until his 900 words.
Does the name "Drawmij" ring any bells with you, Mr Veteran? :rolleyes:

We've already had a "lambasting Jim Ward" thread over his last 900 words, and now there are posters going for round two, cynically looking for arrogance so they can "righteously" dredge up the reviewer thing again, which was presented as a wishlist...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's a tradeoff for being high-profile, I suppose. But I think we can separate legitimate gripes about his products or his column from bitter vitriol about the man himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads