Job System Re-Redux

Knight Otu

First Post
The job system is meant as ab alternate source of income, for times when adventures are scarce, or for characters that are not as adventuresome as others. For every full week in real life (starting with the day the character makes a post in an appropriate downtime thread, such as the Red Dragon Inn or his shop thread), a character on a job, but not on adventure gains some benefits, usually money and some other benefits (such as Craft Points, minor favors, and the like), and 5 (?) XP per week. Partial weeks are passed to assistants, if any. In that case, all of that week is treated as though the apprentice (or nobody, if there is no apprentice) worked that week. Most jobs have a requirement that must be fulfilled, though characters on the way to fulfill the requirements might become apprentices/assistants to another character.

NPC ASSISTANT
Sometimes, a character on a job may want or need to abandon it for a while. Normally, that means that he gains no benefits from the job (some jobs may allow the character to gain reduced benefits). In those chases, if the character has no other assistants, he may want to hire an NPC assistant. This reduces the weekly benefits by 1/2, but other benefits (such as from sold items) are gained normally.

Obtaining a Job
A character not currently on an adventure who qualifies for a job may (note the job on his character sheet/start an appropriate (Adventure?) thread?) and notify a judge. A character becoming an apprentice or partner of another character with the same job should (note this as well/use the thread of that character?).

Jobs use the following template:
NAME
Description
Requirements:
gp/week: This is the number of gold pieces a character earns for every week real time not spent adventuring. A few jobs allow the character to earn money even while on adventure, but usually at a reduced rate.
Special Payment:
Special:

APPRENTICE/ASSISTANT
You are someone to get the work done while the boss is busy saving the world.
Requirements: Must have a few of the requirements for the job OR Must be accepted by an existing character performing the job.
gp/week: One quarter of what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special Payment: One quarterof what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special: If you are leading the bussiness because the master is away adventuring or otherwise absent, you gain half the normal payment instead.

CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
Requirements: At least 1 Craft skill at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a seperate thread while not adventuring. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

LABORER (simple jobs with bad pay)
You are an unskilled laborer, hauling barrels or doing similar work for meager pay.
Requirements: None
gp/week: 1.5

MAGECRAFTER (someone creating magical items)
You are a spellcaster, making a living on creating and selling magic items.
Requirements: At least 2 Item Creation feats, spellcaster level 3+
gp/week: 3.125 times the number of Item Creation feats you have.
Special Payment: You gain 6.25 Craft Points per week per Item Creation feat you possess.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell magic items of the appropriate types in a seperate thread while not adventuring. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of minor magical itens (0 level potions or scrolls) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

MERCHANT
You are a merchant, making a living on buying and selling items.
Requirements: Profession(Merchant) skills at 4 ranks and either Diplomacy or Appraise at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 2.5 plus 1/4 your Profession (Merchant) skill modifier (ranks in Craft + Wis modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You can add half your Trader PrC level to the gp/week.
Special: You can buy and sell items in a seperate thread while not adventuring. You must possess a merchant scale. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a shop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of mundane goods of your choice of field (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
According to the Google cache version I found, orsal and Gnomeworks had already approved this, but no one else did. Manzanita had a question however:

Velmont said:
Knight Otu said:
Manzanita said:
Is it assumed that everyone will take a job when they're in the inn?
It isn't, though new players should probably be notified of the existence of this system.
I imagine it would be easy enough to add a note in the Intro post for RDI threads mentioning something about a bulletin boards with "help wanted" signs, pointing to the post or thread containing the list of jobs.

Knight Otu said:
Velmont said:
Manzanita said:
Is there any reason not to? Is this primarily an opportunity to expand your PC's personality and background, or as a way to raise funds?
Mainly the first. I don't think the wage will have a serious impact on the PC wealth.
It's primarily for background, though the special payments might be important for a few characters.

Bront

The man with the probe
I agree that the wage won't have a huge impact on wealth. In fact, it will even things out just a bit by making up (relitively) for characters that didn't get big rewards in a game (The first 1000 GP being worth more to a PC than the second, etc)

Knight Otu

First Post
As noted in the second post, orsal and Gnomeworks voted yes pre-crash. I think we should talk about the 5 XP thing - I think it could be dropped.

Bront

The man with the probe
5 XP per week is fine.

My only suggestion would be to require someone to check into a thread on the jobs each week, so you don't have someone who's absent for 6 months come back and say "Oh, well I was working a job all that time". Maybe a job thread where anyone with characters would have to mention when they started working the job (Kind of like the interface thread).

Or, even better, a character location thread. One post per player, pointing to where your character is at the time (Which would help with people curious about who's in the RDI), as well as give you dates to track who's working what job and for how long.

Yeah, I know, that's more (virtual) paperwork, but I think this system will require some.

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
Or, even better, a character location thread. One post per player, pointing to where your character is at the time (Which would help with people curious about who's in the RDI), as well as give you dates to track who's working what job and for how long.

Why not adding that information at the bottom of the character sheet. After all, with the index in teh first post of teh character thread, it is easy to locate a character sheet.

Remove ads