• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Joke Names you've never used...but want to.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
In an Earthdawn game I ran once, one of the players named his dwarven weaponsmith "Spam." His reasoning was to amuse himself because, since nobody knew what Spam was, the ohers would have to call him that with a straight face.

He sorta regretted it after the scarring from an encounter with a wormskull made him look like his namesake...

Mallus

Legend
...Baby O'Baby.
That might be the best name ever.

The same could be said for the line between your joke and serious characters, Mr. "Ancient Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling" ;)
You know, I had stranger character concepts I was mulling over. Like the combination of Yoko Ono and Johnny Sokko, who, of course, would have Yoko Sokko and Her Giant Robot Performance Artist (named "Fluxus", a towering animate metal sculpture that confused anyone looking at it, and shot fireballs).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If anyone around me ever runs a Star Wars game- really long odds against that, unfortunately- I'm going to play a redneck bounty hunter...Bubba Fett.

And a Half-Dragon beach bum (who is secretly quite well-off) with brightly colored tunics? Tommy Bahamut.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Who can forget the old FASA Star Trek NPC Chief Engineer Colin O'Scopy? Called "Scoppy" by his crewmates, of course.

It wasn't until session six or seven that the players learned he had a first name. One guy peed his pants.

2. Jook Bochs, the warforged bard
This one. The heck with 4e, I'm tempted to create a 3rd degree Droid Noble for SWSE with this name, setting their various buff talents to music :D

The same could be said for the line between your joke and serious characters, Mr. "Ancient Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling" ;)
Hey, that was by far one of the coolest Mutants & Masterminds OCs that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing, with Doc Haywire being the only real competition that character had.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always did like the "Joseirus" name and character background as presented here on ENWorld. Kudos!

There is, of course, a subset of joke names that I'm sure most people in this thread have indulged in..."Knight" names. Some I have not yet used on PCs or NPCs in an active campaign:

Sir Vesa
Sir Fing
Sir Vey
Sir Kull "the Perfect"
Sir Real
Sir Cular
Sir Round
Sir Vive
Sir Jeon
Sir Jerry
Sir Jickel

The last 3 were supposed to be brothers...

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Usually, I use the silly names, including several already named here.

I have a Psi warrior Amazone-type character named Mindova with the honorary title of Mater added to her name. She was the daughter of the city ruler Mhennstua, by her title Tion. A very moody ruler for some reason. It took the poor GM 4 sessions to catch on to either reference (German game group) and by then it was too late to make me change the names :p

I also have a cutthroat gang member who goes by Jugg Ularvain and had a witch called Hex Agoon. She was not square and fair and hardly came around to your POV.

I have a booklet with funny names to use asap but I need to find that first... runs off to look for it

Remove ads