Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I got this book as a Christmas gift and I finished reading it Monday. It was a lot of fun. The first few chapters, where the narrative just follows the fuddy-duddy Norrell around and before Strange arrives on the scene, move rather slowly. However, after that it picks up and is a good read. Clarke has done her research and the book follows the standards of a 19th century novel well and magic in a plausable way. It is very Brittish, but has some funny moments, including one character talking about how a man once deneyed the existance of America, France and Scottland.

In any event, I give the book a thumbs up. Have you read it?

Numion

First Post
Yes, and I thought it was a great book. A bit slow at places, but all in all it delivered. It captured the 'magic' in magic. Or was it magick? :)

Wombat

First Post
I absolutely adore this book, but I am puzzled to find it popular; I supposed from quite some time that it fell into the same category as A Brief History of Time and The Name of the Rose -- bestsellers that vast numbers of people bought but never really read.

I am fascinated by history, mythology, and folklore. I love truly Gothic novels (Mrs Radcliffe, Walpole, Lewis, etc). I have read the Aubrey-Maturin series through twice. I really like Jane Austen. I have a fascination with the Peninsular War aspect of the Napoleonic Wars. I have read Barrett's The Magus. With all that going in, I found JS&MN a nearly perfect book, exactly according to my tastes! But for the larger section of the reading public? Certainly it would seem slow, pedantic, and fusty.

I don't think I'm "elitist" on this point -- I just think I happen to have the specific background in tastes that would lead to liking this book, a trail that not a lot of people would necessarily have. I think, in many ways, this book was written for a very tiny group of people...

...and yet now there are rumours of making a movie of it.

Well, I am simply quite happy with the book. I look forward to reading the not-quite-sequel :)

sniffles

First Post
I'm still struggling to finish it, but that's partly because I have a hard-cover copy that isn't convenient for transportation, and I tend to do most of my reading on the bus on my way to work. I've been enjoying it though. It's very well done as a pastiche of early 19th-century literature, although I wish it would progress a little faster. A bit of judicious editing wouldn't have hurt.

Banshee16

First Post
I loved the line when Jonathan Strange was talking to some compatriots in the army during the spanish campaign.

"Can a magician kill a man with magic?"

"I suppose so, but a gentleman never would"

That really kind of clinched the "feel" of the novel for me.

It's one of the better fantasy novels I've read in the last few years.

Banshee

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I believe Clarke is writting a sequel. I've not read her short story colelction, Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is on the shelves currently. I wonder about a movie - the book is both long and much of it in material (like the footnotes) that could not be easily put in a movie.

Ah well. I liked it. It would make an interesting d20 setting, and the Raven Kings Kingdom would be an interesting setting for a more traditional DnD game.

Remove ads