Journals of the Five: A Forgotten Realms Tale

Talindra

First Post
Vallia's Journal
1st day of The Claw of Winter, 1373 DR

The night after Misha admitted to his feelings for Noriya, the night after he left, I awoke to see him standing above me, and an older elven woman bowing on the floor. I was still angry with Misha about Noriya, and stood, turning my back on him. He claimed to have returned for me and our unborn child, a statement that nearly made me faint. It was not possible. How would he know such a thing when I did not know myself. I was not sure if it was not another of his tricks to convince me to forgive him. He turned to leave, and I accused him of running away again. He returned to my side, saying he would not run anymore, and for a brief moment, I felt hope. I turned, and told him all the things I had been waiting to say for so long. I told him that we must never show weakness to others. I berated him for questioning my decisions, and throwing in my face the results of my bad decisions. I told him that we did not have the luxury of being ourselves anymore. We are the King and the Queen, and nothing will change that. From this day forth, we must always be on the same side.

Misha smiled as I spoke, and said that he understood, that he rather liked it when we were on the same side. Misha looked exhausted, but elated, and I could not force myself to remain angry with him, though a seed of doubt had been planted in my mind. He had tried in the beginning to give me a letter, and only now did I take a moment to read it. The contents brought a smile to my face, and I kissed my husband, taking his hand in mine.

None of the others had awakened, so Misha and I went for breakfast. The story tumbled out of him almost too fast to follow. He had wandered off into the night, followed by Nym. He had made his way to a tavern, which did not surprise me. He chanced upon Noriya at the tavern, and had attempted to question her. She had mocked him for rescuing us, and then leaving us unprotected, and at her words, he had rushed back to the house. He was intercepted by Vandal, who tried in his own way to reason with Misha, and warn him of the danger to us all. . He told Misha that he had killed Ellyn only to save Misha’s life, and that before she had died, he had spirited away her son, Misha’s son, and that even now the boy was safe. My heart jumped a bit at that, the fear that somehow his love for his son might pull him away from me terrified me.

When Misha reached the house, he had found it empty, a heavy aura of magic hovering over it. He stepped back outside, unsure of his next step, and Noriya had been waiting. She had revealed that the guild's wizards had used a powerful spell to send us all to the ethereal plane, where we would remain until recalled, when Thain arrived. As she spoke these words, a voice had sounded in the darkness, saying "He is already here." Noriya had melted back into the shadows as Misha turned to face Thain and his two bodyguards. He and Nym had quickly dispatched the bodyguards, and moved to attack Thain. He was stronger than they had realized, and they were both grievously injured with something had moved through the night, landing a solid blow on Thain, and giving them a moment's respite to recover.

I still struggle with what Misha said next. He said that Nym deserted him in his battle against Thain. Perhaps he did not see a chance for victory, but that is a poor excuse. Nym moved aside, watching the battle, but did not fight. For that, I will kill him myself should we meet again. I will not suffer a traitor to live.

At the point when Misha was nearly beaten, shadows swirled behind Thain, and stabbed him through the heart. Misha had fallen to the ground, but Noriya quickly moved to his side, giving healing as best she could. Even as he stood, Nym removed the cloak and boots that marked him as a Royal Scout, and turned to walk away, saying that he was no longer duty bound. I shook with anger to hear such words of cowardice from an elf, and I pity Nym should our paths ever cross again.

Noriya and Misha had returned to our house, and she had related to him the conversation between Vandal and Nym as he had fought Thain. She told Misha that Vandal had killed Thain out of love for him. Misha discovered that Noriya was yet another of Vandal’s tricks, that he had used her likeness to Ellyn to try to convince Misha to return. However, it was clear to Misha that Vandal and Noriya had made a good home for little Misha, as they had named his son, and that they cared for each other as well. Misha gave her his longsword, and tried to convince her to take his journal for the boy as well, but Noriya refused, convincing Misha finally that it would be no kindness to let little Misha know of his parentage. For an elf to watch his human son grow old and die, while he remains young, would cause each of them great pain. Misha, to my surprise, saw the wisdom in this, and acquiesced.

Noriya did encourage him to visit the child, however, and led him through the city, to a modest house near the Avenue of Chimes, it's yard well tended, welcoming lights in the windows. She had led him to a small room, where Vandal sat, stroking unruly brown hair off the forehead of a chubby baby, not more than three years old. Vandal stood, and said that he had come to tell the boy goodbye, before Misha killed him and took the baby.

Misha did something unexpected then. He forgave Vandal. Tears filled my eyes as I listened, because I knew that my husband had done the right thing, and how hard it must have been for him to do so. He had held little Misha for a moment, and his eyes opened, and Misha had seen green eyes so much like Ellyn's. I could see his joy in this as he related it to me, his eyes shining. He smiled without knowing it, and I was overjoyed to see him so happy. Misha had held him for a moment, before Noriya took him, tucking him back into bed, as Misha went outside to talk to Vandal.

His thoughts had returned to our plight, and Vandal told him that only a cleric would be able to dispel the magic and summon us back to this plane. Vandal also revealed the location of the sword, saying that it lay across the Ice Valley, in the lair of Silvara, a dragon. Misha had returned to the house, noting that our equipment had been returned, and waited until morning, when he made his way to the temple where once I lived, and persuaded Sister Mariana to aid him. She was able to pull us back, for which she has earned my gratitude.

As Misha finished his story, I finished my shopping, and together we made our way to Vandal's house. Noriya stood in the yard with a child, playing, and I felt an irrepressible urge to join him. I saw Misha stop, and watch us, as I took little Misha's hand, and we spun around until we were so dizzy we fell to the ground, giggling uncontrollably. Little Misha started to get up, and I tickled him, delighting in his laugh. He cried for help, and I felt Misha tickle me lightly, moving to aid his son. It did not take long for us to wear little Misha out, and Noriya took him inside for his nap.

As we walked away, Misha glanced back, and again I felt fear fill me. I asked if he wanted to stay, but he said that Misha was where he belonged, he has a family. He said that Amn was his past, not his future. It pains me to see how much Misha has lost, but I am proud of how much he has grown.

We reached the house and I put my purchases away,noting that the others had not yet risen. Misha sat at the table, and after a long moment of silence, asked if I would have preferred he say nothing of Noriya. I told him that if it had meant nothing, I had no need to know, but if he had any doubt, I would have wanted him to tell me. He said that he had done the right thing, that for a moment he had wavered. I felt as though the seed of doubt in my stomach had sprouted. He went on to tell me of his dreams of Ellyn as we had neared Amn, and my stomach felt like lead. I managed a smile, and told him all was well, even as we retreated to our room together.

I do not know what will become of this, of Misha and I. My thoughts run rampant, and I have my doubts now. I fear losing him, but for a brief moment, I feared staying with him even more. Perhaps I am a fool; after all, he did choose me. Time will tell, I suppose, but I feel as though my heart became just a little bit heavier this day.

Talindra

First Post
2nd day of The Claw of Winter , 1373 DR

Vallia’s Journal #14

Even as I write this, the five of us are taking only a brief respite in the woods, having ridden most of the night. Misha persists in creating problems for us all, and my patience grows thin. He must learn not to speak all that he knows. His bragging has gotten us into trouble more than once. I am so angry my thoughts aren’t very coherent. I should start at the beginning.

Misha and I emerged from our room some time later, and saw that no one was about. I began making breakfast from the ingredients I had gathered in the market, smiling at the thought of Misha’s reaction when he saw what it was I was making. Misha sat watching as I stirred the pot over the fire, his feet propped up on the table as he leaned back, a small smile on his face. Gruush rose soon thereafter, and made his way outside to practice. Karanaj joined him shortly thereafter, working with his bow. Aliya followed Karanaj into the common room, and sat at the table with Misha. As I turned, I saw her reach into her pocket, and give him back his ring. I did not hear his reply, but I know that it made Aliya fume. He seems to be very talented at doing that.

Karanaj entered, just as I judged breakfast to be ready, and prepared Misha a plate. A dish that had been father’s favorite, it was very simple to make. It consisted of bread toasted over the fire, and then covered with apples that had been baked in cinnamon and sugar. As I gave him his plate, he made some remark about Aliya “finding” his ring, and for a moment his flippant attitude made me want to strike him, but I only looked at him in silence, and turned back to the pot over the fire.

Gruush entered just as I finished a second plate, and I handed it to him with a smile. He thanked me, and I made plates for Aliya and Kara, before preparing one for myself, and sitting with them. Misha stood and walked to the window, seeming disinterested in eating. He turned, and told the others that he had sent Nym back to protect the Queen. I must admit that I admire his reluctance to tell them what Nym had really done.

Gruush mentioned how much he enjoyed the food, and I noticed in amazement that he had already finished his plate. I have to say it made me happy to know that someone appreciated what I had done, and I filled his plate again, heaping it high. Misha continued, relating to the others that Thain was dead, and the location of the sword. Karanaj indignantly asked why Misha had not awakened him, and Misha explained about the poison and the spell. We returned the discussion to the location of the sword, and Misha mentioned something he had neglected to tell me.

The sword is in the lair of a dragon named Silvara! How he could think that this was not important is beyond me....sometimes I think Misha’s good sense doesn’t work too well. We discussed strategy, but as none of us had ever faced a dragon, we did not know what to expect. I noticed as Gruush talked that Misha had begun to eat, and almost immediately, he turned his smile upon me, and told me how much he liked the meal. I felt flushed with happiness. Sometimes I feel like such a fool for wanting to please him so much, but all I want is to make him happy.

As we discussed our plan of attack, there was a knock at the door. Karanaj went to answer the door, and Misha and Gruush flanked him, ready for an attack. A man stood outside, young by elvish standards. He looked to be an acolyte, and shook with nervousness, barely able to stutter out the reason for his visit. He was looking for me, and said that he had been sent by Sister Mariana. Misha allowed him inside, but drew his sword, seemingly to inspect its flawless blade. The young man was properly intimidated, but grew even more so when Gruush towered above him and commanded him to speak. I will never forget the words he said. They are burned indelibly in my memory. "There is to be a large feast tonight in celebration of Midwinter, at the house of Lord Dannihyr. The elders wish for you to attend.......as Queen of the Elves."

The words hit me like a blow. I sank back into my chair, gaping at him. I barely managed to ask "Is that your way of telling me my mother is dead?" He seemed surprised that we did not know of her death. I shook my head, even as I saw Aliya turn to Karanaj and begin to cry. Suddenly, I knew I could not stay there any longer, and I stood and left, leaving Misha to deal with the young man. As soon as I had stepped from the room, I felt tears begin to roll down my cheeks. I was too proud to let them see me cry, but I ached to scream in pain. The tears quickly subsided, and my pain was superseded by my anger. I knew that Thain must have been the cause for her death, and though he and Thamior were dead, Tharivol still lives. Although, if I have my way, not for much longer.

I gathered myself and returned to the common room, noting that the young man was gone.Gruush and Misha both expressed their sympathy, which I acknowledged with a nod. Misha had accepted the invitation to the party on our behalf, and in looking around at our travel worn clothes, it was apparent to me that we were desperately in need of attire, and I said as much. Misha resisted at first, saying "I shall go as I am... a warrior king..."

I felt sadness as I shook my head at him, saying "We are in Amn, your city, and you still do not understand."

"Understand what?" he asked. “That the time for fancy talk.. and festivities is over? I understand that very well..." I sighed at his stubborness as Karanaj returned with Aliya, his arm around her.

Patiently, I said "We must all buy new things. The only thing that people respect here is wealth. If we wish to impress them, we must be the best dressed at the feast.” I held Misha’s gaze for a moment "The time for fancy talk and festivities are just beginning.....you are a King now."

"Very true." Karanaj murmured in agreement. Gruush seemed doubtful that anyone would respect him, but I told him that all he needed in Amn was wealth, and he would have respect. It is a nation of merchants....and thieves. After much cajoling, I convinced them all to purchase new clothes, and we left the house, making our way to the Waft.

We found a clothing shop. The prices were steep, but the clothes were excellent quality. Aliya found her dress almost immediately, a diaphanous white gown that clung to her, trimmed in gold, matching the gold highlights in her red hair. Kara asked for my advice, and I handed him a blue tunic, also trimmed in gold, and matching pants. He tried them on, and seemed happy with the selection. Misha selected a white tunic and pants, trimmed in silver, and a heavy white cloak. Gruush, in the meantime, had been consulting with the shopkeeper, who produced blood red tunic and pants, trimmed in black, with a heavy black cloak. I had also made my selection, an emerald green gown trimmed in silver, and I quickly selected slippers for Aliya and myself as the shopkeeper wrapped up our purchases. Even Gruush seemed pleased with his selections, as I paid the shopkeeper and we made our way to the jewelry shop, run by a surly old dwarf.

Misha purchased circlets for each of us in silver, and Aliya purchased a white stone on a delicate gold chain, and a gold scabbard for Karanaj. Karanaj had to have his ring enlarged, due to his almost unnatural growth. As I was waiting for the dwarf to finish with the ring, I noticed Gruush admiring a set of silver bracers and belt. He called to the dwarf to ask the price, but I told him not to worry about it, and added it to my purchases. There is one good thing about being Queen after all. I do love making me friends smile.

The dwarf returned with Kara’s ring, and we exited the shop, to meet Misha outside. It was agreed that Misha, Gruush and I would go to buy horses, while Aliya and Karanaj took our purchases back to the house. They let me select the horses, and I chose two white mares for Aliya and myself, a chestnut gelding for Kara, a large brown horse with white spots for Gruush, and an imposing black stallion for Misha. I was surprised to see the black horse....you do not often find trained warhorses for sale in a place such as this. I purchased saddles & bridles as well, and gave Misha a sugar cube to feed the stallion. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Gruush’s horse nuzzling him, and I tossed him a sugar cube as well, as the stablehand appeared and began to place the items I had purchased on the horses.

Misha seemed pleased with his horse as we left, pronouncing his name to be Shivendal, to my amusement. We led Aliya’s and Kara’s horses, and went to purchase supplies for our journey. Gruush considered the name of his horse for a moment, then decided to name it for his master, calling it Shosa. Their banter had lightened my spirits a bit, and I decided on the spot to name my horse Ananda.

I purchases enough supplies for several weeks, and a large supply of apples. Misha favored me with a smile, as I requested those. We returned to the house, unloading our supplies, and I headed off to bathe, as Aliya emerged, dressed in her white dress, the white stone dangling from its chain in the middle of her forehead. Karanaj followed her, already dressed as well. I changed quickly, arranging my hair around the delicate silver circlet Misha had chosen for me. Misha and Gruush changed as well, and we mounted our horses, heading for the lord’s manor.

We collected quite a following of townspeople as we rode, and there were servants in livery waiting outside the manor to help us off our horses, and stable them. I took Misha’s arm as we moved into the house, and I could hear a master of ceremonies announcing the arrivals as a servant scurried up to us and asked us our names. It shook me a bit to hear Misha reply “King Misha Koldun and Queen Vallia Koldun, together with our loyal bodyguard Gruush.”

I added “Prince Karanaj Umian and Princess Aliya Umian as well.” The servant nodded and moved to the MC, and whispered our names to him. He introduced Kara and Aliya first, and there was polite clapping as they entered the room. Misha looked nervous, to my surprise, and I patted his hand as the MC said our names. The room grew silent, and several people looked at us with confusion as we entered. I felt a moment of fear. There was something we didn’t know, and I was afraid of what it might be. I glanced around, noting several elves standing in a corner, but none I recognized. Sister Mariana melted out of the crowd at Misha’s side, greeting us quietly. She begins to give Misha a warning, but before she can tell us what it is she is warning us about, a familiar voice says from behind us “Well, well, well....”

I saw Misha glance at Gruush, but he was involved in conversation with a beautiful woman. Misha turned, as did I, to face Tharivol, who is wearing a golden headband. Misha threw back his cloak, and Tharivol and I both saw what hung from it at the same instant: Thain’s blade. “Murderer!” hissed Tharivol.

"Good eve, Tharivol." Misha said. "You would do well to calm yourself, Tharivol son of Thain, this is neither the place nor the time to throw about awkward accusations."

Tharivol glanced at the man next to him, wearing the finest clothes. "It is as I said, my lord, he does not deny it. He carries the blade of my father."

"I carry the blade of a man who betrayed his people a thousand times over..." Misha snapped.

“And did you kill him?" The man next to Tharivol asked.

Misha turned his gaze upon the man "And you are?"

"This is my party. I am Lord Dannihyr" he replied.

Misha bowed his head, "Then it is you I should I greet for your extreme hospitality."

He looked at Misha unsmiling. “You did not answer my questions, though I answered yours. You border on spitting on my hospitality."

"And you border on insulting the crown." Misha retorted, "as I was about to answer your inquiry."

Lord Dannihyr nodded "Then by all means, answer."

Misha looked back to the Tharivol "Tharivol, son of Thain, your father was a traitor... he plotted against the Queen... attempted to abduct my wife... consorted with both the Shadow Thieves and the Zhentarim... and now he lies dead at my hands... for his treachery could not go unanswered by the will of Corellon."

Lord Dannihyr shook his head sadly. "I was afraid that would be your answer. It is my duty to place you under arrest, until you can be tried."

Misha seemed calm, as he asked “Tried?"

"For murdering the King of the Elves." replied Lord Dannihyr.

"The King?" Misha asked.

"Thain was crowned three days after the death of the queen." replied Dannihyr.

Misha frowned "By whom?"

"By the elders." snarls Tharivol.

Misha looked indignant "They would dare disrupt the line of succession?"

Tharivol snorted "The Queen was a fool, and she was leading our people to ruin. Besides, we are a member of the royal line as well."

Misha glared at Tharivol. "How dare you invoke the name of the Queen in such a way!"

He shrugs. "She can touch me no more."

Misha hissed "Queen Amlauril led with a grace and skill your family is unworthy to even emulate."

"Few would agree with you." Tharivol replied calmly.

"I am the rightful King..." Misha stated.

Tharivol corrected him. "No....I am the King...or will you murder me in the street as you did my father?""

Misha looked furious "You have no claim."

Tharivol smiled "I am King, as was my father before me. Can you say as much?"

"Your father was a villain." Misha said coldly. Tharivol had his sword half out of its scabbard before he stopped. "Why stay your hand?" Misha asked. "Why not reveal your treacherous villainy for what it is?" Tharivol glanced at Lord Dannihyr. "I still remember your treatment of my wife... son of Thain. I have not forgotten that oath."

Tharivol laughed. "You have admitted to murder......but it is not my place to decide justice."

"I have admitted to removing a false ruler... corrupted by Bane." Misha responded.

"The Council of Six shall decide your fate." Lord Dannihyr shook his head. "Whomever the rightful ruler, we cannot allow wanton murder in the streets."

Misha glanced to Tharivol, "Then perhaps you allow attempted assassination and abduction?"

"Have you any proof of such actions?" demanded Dennihyr.

Misha paused for a moment "As I said before, Tharivol consorted with the Shadow Thieves, but tangible proof is lacking... at the moment..."

Lord Dannihyr looked skeptical. "And do you think one of them will testify?" Tharivol laughed, as the guards stepped forward.

"I accept your terms of court... for Corellon knows that I have done nothing wrong..." Misha says, his head held high.

Lord Dannihyr nodded. "Then disarm, and go with these men." Misha handed his blades off to me, as I stood there numbly.

Misha looked back at Tharivol, saying "When this is all over my 'King', you will join your father... and you may all dance your wicked dance on the fiery plane of the Abyss. Perhaps he and your brother have been reunited..."

Tharivol glanced smugly at the lord. "You heard that...it was a threat.” He looked back at Misha. "Would that I could charge you with Thamior's murder as well."

"It was no less a threat than you nearly drawing your blade, son of Thain." Misha smiled.

"What son would not want to kill his father's murderer?" said Tharivol, sadly.

"What son would not want to kill the slayer of his mother..." Misha glared at Tharivol.

Tharivol hit him. "Stop with your lies." I almost drew Misha’s sword for him at that moment, so hungry was I for Tharivol’s blood, but one look at Misha in the guard’s custody, and I knew I could not. The guards took Misha's arms, as he took the hit.

"I remember what you did to Vallia..." Misha spat. "To the true Queen of Tel'quessir..." Lord Dannihyr nodded, and the guards pulled Misha away. Misha stayed calm and followed the guards. Gruush stood beside me and watched them go, as I stared after them, still holding Misha’s blades in my hands. I felt Aliya and Karanaj move next to me as well, but I could not take my eyes off of Misha.

Tharivol looked at Aliya and inclined his head. "My lady..." Gruush stepped between Tharivol and Aliya glaring at Tharivol. Tharivol stared down Gruush, as Karanaj walked up beside Aliya, regarding Tharivol silently.

"You are a fool, Tharivol." hissed Aliya, her arm around me. I hardly felt it, but it was some small comfort. Gruush continued to stare at Tharivol like looking at a dinner plate.

Tharivol neatly stepped around Gruush, looking at Aliya. "Dance with me...." Karanaj glared at him for a moment, then stepped over next to Aliya.

"The lady is with me." said Karanaj menacingly.

"Lord Dannihyr, it would be best if you called off Lord Tharivol." Gruush advised.

Aliya glared back at Tharivol. "No....I will dance with him." Tharivol smiled, and he bumped Karanaj out of the way, taking Aliya's hand. He pulled her out into the crowd, and they were lost from view. I thought I knew what she was doing, but at the moment I did not care. My Misha was gone.

Karanaj clenched his claws, as he walked over to stand beside me, as Gruush walked out to the dance floor with a woman "I'm going to dance before I hurt that man."

I could not take my eyes off the weapons in my hands. Karanaj placed his hands over the weapons, taking them from me gently, as I looked up at him, tears in my eyes. "Will it ever stop, Kara?" Karanaj pulled me next to him, holding me close, as I cried into his shoulder.

"I'm sorry Vallia..." he said

I heard Misha talking to me then, through his ring, and looked up at Kara. "Misha wants us to find Noriya. He says she is here, he saw her."

"He is right" I heard a voice say behind me. Kara and I turned, to see Noriya standing there, wearing a black dress.

"You... saw what just happened I'm sure." Karanaj said. She nodded sadly. "We need to find Vandal, then. He is our only proof."

"He is with Misha." she said softly. "But he cannot help you. It is death to betray the Shadow Thieves, or acknowledge their existence, death for you, and your family." She looks regretful. "We cannot become involved."

I was only half listening as they spoke, all the while hearing Misha in my head. I focused on them again, saying "He says he's going to escape, and we must flee...."

Karanaj glanced down at me, "Do you think he will?"

I shook my head, tears in my eyes, terrified at the thought "I do not know Kara. He could be killed."

Aliya appeared out of the crowd, as Noriya murmured "Goodbye." and left.
Karanaj moved quickly to Aliya, hugging her.

She looks very serious. "He will release Misha, if I marry him. He would be King.”Karanaj looked away, angry and sad. "Kara..." she said softly.

I shook my head, knowing we did not have time to discuss it, we had to put our faith in Misha. "We must go. Let's get the horses." I walked out, taking my horse, and leading Misha's as well, heading quickly for the house. Karanaj and Aliya followed me, as did Gruush.

To my surprise, Misha was waiting for us as we arrived at the house... with a gentle smile. As I dismounted, he said "We need to hurry...we are leaving now!"

We all changed quickly, as Misha grabbed his gear and hopped on his horse. We rushed about, packing our things and securing them on the horses quickly, before mounting, and riding out of Athkatla under the cover of darkness, heading south, towards the dragon. I glanced back, just before the city faded from view, and made a promise to myself. I will see Tharivol dead, if it costs my life to do it.

Talindra

First Post
Vallia’s Journal #15

3rd day of The Claw of Winter, 1373 DR

The ride through the night was very difficult. We were all exhausted, and sometime in the middle of the night, snow began to fall. Wet and cold, I’m sure we made quite the pitiful picture. The flurries quickly became a blizzard, with a biting, howling wind. I heard Misha yell something about a camp, and immediately began trying to discern a sheltered place through the storm. Karanaj appeared to see something that we did not, and we followed him to a break in the stone wall to our left, which, upon closer inspection, was revealed to be a deep cave. I did not like the thought of entering the cave without knowing what dwelled there, but we had little choice. We dismounted and led the horses inside. I cast a light spell, so Karanaj could see. The others scornfully remarked on the way that I gave away our presence, and I quickly reminded the fools that with shoed horses in a cave, I don’t think a little light is what gave us away.

We moved deeper into the cave, about 50 feet, until we reached a large circular cavern. The smell of death assaulted us as we entered, and we noticed the bodies of eight wild-haired gray-skinned humanoids piled to the side, with their axes and swords around them. Some were partially eaten--all had been killed by a powerful, ripping and tearing weapon--though we couldn’t tell from the wounds whether it was a natural or manufactured weapon. Two other dead monsters were piled on the other side. Huge, bulbous bodies, which looked much like large brains even before the bloating of death occurred, were surrounded by 10 long tentacles. Bloody beaks, apparently the weapons used to tear apart their humanoid foes, extended from the fronts of the brain like bodies. The corpses had been hacked with large-bladed weapons and had many arrows stuck into their bizarre hides. None of us knew what the creatures were, but we immediately organized our watches, eager to sleep and be gone from this place.

As we led the horses to the rear of the cavern, we noticed a small passage leading off to the right. Gruush and Misha insisted on exploring the passage, over Aliya’s protests. I have to admit I agreed with her, but as usual, Misha chose to ignore us. He and Gruush did not even take the time to see to their horses before moving into the passage, and Aliya was even more livid about that. I have to say I was disappointed in Misha treating his horse so callously, but I did not voice my disapproval. I helped Aliya with the horses, keeping an eye on the passage, and listening for sounds of trouble. Corellon help me, Misha does have a way of getting himself into trouble.

I was cleaning my sword when Gruush returned, saying that they had heard something in the passage. Misha emerged soon thereafter, and said they had not caught a glimpse of whatever it is, but that something was moving quietly toward us. I rose, my sword in hand, and moved to stand at the entrance, knowing it would be easier to defend than to fight in the large open room. A tentacled creature slithered into the room from the passage outside, hovering near the ceiling. Aliya reacted quickly, throwing balls of energy into the creature, just as another one appeared in front of me. Gruush and Misha reacted quickly, both stabbing at the creature, and Misha severed several of its tentacles. However, in order to do so, he left himself open, and took several hits from the tentacles. The creature Aliya hit made a bird-like screech as the balls slammed into it. Misha was yelling commands at me, and in my distraction, I missed the creature in front of me as it turned, wrapping two tentacles around Misha, and bringing its beak down on his shoulder.
The second wrapped two tentacles around Aliya’s arms, pulling her up, and she did not even struggle as it too took a bite of her shoulder, blood running down her body. Karanaj drew his sword and rushed to her aid, even as Gruush cleaved the creature holding Misha in two.

Misha moved to attack the creature holding Aliya, but missed because he was trying not to hit her. Knowing that an error in a slash could kill Aliya, I sheathed my sword and prayed, holding up a hand and casting a searing light at the creature. Its skin began to smoke, and it released Aliya, who fell to the floor unmoving as it tried to float away. Karanaj, clearly angry, released a barrage of magic missiles at the retreating creature, slamming it into the wall, before it fell to the ground, lifeless. I immediately ran for Aliya as Gruush checked to make sure the creature was dead. Karanaj fumbled a rod from his pack, and activated it. I watched in amazement as Aliya’s wound stopped bleeding, and food appeared in front of us all.

A figure stepped out of the darkness of the second passage. A powerful male humanoid of a race I could not quite place strode purposefully forward. His well-sculpted physique exuded male confidence, his hairless body uncovered except for what appeared to be a long kilt colored in earthy tones. Gruush challenged him, and he replied "You only serve to anger them," flatly in halting, thickly accented common. "This does no good, not for you, and not for me. Leave this area at once." Once he spoke these words, he began backing down the passage he had come from. Misha told him we would not chance the snow, and he and Gruush tried to follow the man, but abruptly, he sank into the stone floor and vanished.

Eager to leave, Misha checked outside, only to report that the blizzard still raged. I had healed Aliya’s wounds as best I could, but she was still unresponsive, and my best guess was that the creature’s tentacles contained some sort of poison. I could only hope that the effects were temporary.

We unrolled our bedrolls, and sat down, Karanaj staying at Aliya’s side. Not very hungry, but knowing I needed my strength, I began to eat the food that had appeared when Kara activated the rod. To my surprise, it was quite good, although I did not eat much, as I felt a little nauseous. A short time later, Aliya stirred, and was soon able to stand and took a seat next to Kara, smiling and eating her food as well. I was relieved to see that I had been correct . . . I don’t know what I would have done if something happened to Aliya. At my suggestion, we bedded down for the night, and when we awoke the next morning, the temperature in the cave had dropped substantially. I shivered as I rolled up my bedroll and ate a cold breakfast. Misha checked outside and returned to announce that the storm had passed. We gathered our things, and led the horses out of the cave, pausing at the entrance to mount.

A voice floated from a large outcropping to the left of the cave, saying "Ignore my mate, the man who spoke to you before. He is a foolish oaf, afraid of his own shadow. The invaders are fine targets for your swords and arrows. If you are enemies of the grell, however, you travel in the wrong direction. They lie toward the mountains. You'll find none of their kind ahead of you."
Misha responded, saying we wanted to be left out of their troubles, and kicked his horse, moving south. We followed him, though I glanced back at the outcropping more than once, curious.

We had slept through most of the day, and as we began to ride, the sun sank below the horizon. Suddenly, the ground shook, and a mighty roar echoed through the mountains. A faint glow appeared on the horizon to the south, and Misha turned his horse toward it, urging it to run. My husband is a very foolish man at time . . . as they say, fools rush in. Of course, you have to wonder who is the bigger fool . . . the fool, or the ones who follow him. Gruush muttered something about Misha being the death of us, as we quickly followed him.

It took several hours to reach the mountains in the south, as our horses followed the upward trail leading out of the Valley of Ice. As the last vestiges of sunlight passed below the horizon, we all saw for a moment in the glow, a citadel silhouetted against the sky. Of course, Misha decided that the citadel was our new destination. Sometimes I want to just kill that man.

It took another hour along the winding trail to reach the citadel, and night had fallen by the time we reached the outer stone wall. There was still a faint glow from inside, almost as if fires were lit, as Misha, ever brash, called out “Hello!” There was no answer. We entered the outer wall slowly, and it gave way to a courtyard, and an inner stone wall which lay 40 feet ahead. Huge oaken double doors stood at the entrance. They were flung open, one hanging off its hinges. Misha rode right up to the entrance and dismounted, tying his horse and drawing his sword as he once again shouted “Hello?” The rest of us dismounted as well, and I drew my sword, feeling vaguely uneasy.

We entered a large hallway. The scale of the building was unbelievably large. At the end of one hallway, we could see what appeared to be a large feast hall, and it was there that a fire burned. We entered the hall, and were shocked at what we found. It was a scene of complete carnage, small fires burning here and there, with many frozen bodies, looking like ice sculptures, and in the middle of the hall . . . a large silver dragon lay, scales smoking, several large holes burned into her hide. We could hear her labored breathing, but she did not move. Gruush asked quietly if the dragon could be Silvara, and I shrugged, not able to take my eyes off the dragon. I felt great sadness as I said “I think she is dying . . . ” Gruush thought we should help her, but neither Misha nor I knew the first thing about healing a dragon, and we said as much.

The dragon must have been able to hear us, because to our surprise the dragon shimmered for a moment, then shrank, reforming into a beautiful woman, bleeding from many grievous wounds. We all stared in surprise as Gruush looked shocked, saying "Silena? Is that you?" We both rushed to her, and I used one of my most potent healing spells, which slowed her bleeding, but I was afraid it was not enough. Karanaj asked Gruush how he knew her as I worked, using spell after spell and Gruush replied that he had met her at the party on the previous night.

After several minutes she stirred, rising slowly, and Gruush asked her what had happened. "A........wizard . . . " she replied haltingly. She looked at Kara as she spoke, and hissed "and . . . one like . . . him . . . "

Gruush looked grim "Mantatlus?"

"And Kalanthor . . . " Karanaj said angrily.
Silvara looked at Gruush in surprise. "Those were the names . . . how do you know them?"

Misha muttered to himself "Mantatalus and Kalanthor . . . they beat us to the sword . . . "

"They will pay dearly for this." Gruush snarled.

Silvara glanced at Misha and said "Sword?” as Karanaj helped her over to a chair.

Misha nodded "We are searching for a Sword . . . "

Gruush knelt down by her chair "How are you feeling?"

Silvara sighed. "I have been better . . . never have I been bested . . . but they were too many . . . and the evil cleric . . . " She put her hand on Gruush. "I am glad to see you again . . . " She paused for a moment before saying "What is this sword of which you speak?”

"We were seeking a blade mentioned in a prophecy along with the Jewel of Amn." Misha said. "I know little else."

Silvara sat back and nodded slowly "Would that I had known what you sought, I could have saved you the trip." She tapped her finger on her lip, looking thoughtful. "The blade of Ankara . . . " As she thought, Karanaj gave me the rod that he had used earlier, and I thought it might be of some help to Silvara, so I activated it, and once again, healing energy flowed through us all, and food and drink appeared. Silvara picked up a goblet, drinking quickly, seeming somewhat stronger. She took a bite of an apple, and sighed. "Why do you seek the blade and the Jewel?"

Misha glanced to Vallia then Aliya . . . "It may sound crazy . . . but we seek to save the world."

Silvara smiled. "It does not sound crazy." She gave Gruush a regretful look. "Had you answered differently, I would have had to destroy you."

Misha nodded. "I would not have expected any less."

"I am glad he answered truthfully and not tried to jest with you." Gruush said sourly.

Misha gulped slightly . . . "Me, jest?" Misha chuckled. "Perish the thought."

"Yes . . . perish the thought . . . " Karanaj said wryly.

Silena smiled, almost wolflike "Exactly . . . "

Misha shrugged and paced around the table, "At any rate . . . where is the sword? Do they have it?"

Silvara looked far away. "I have guarded the sword for so long, that I do not even remember a time before it." She did not seem to hear Misha. "It was a charge given to me by the elves, long ago, when it was forged. It had been used once, to terrible results, and they vowed that only the ones prophesied would wield the power again."

Gruush looked at Silena "I'm glad you are feeling better" and took her hand gently.

She paused, folding her other hand over Gruush's. "I appreciate that . . . D'hakara . . . " Aliya started at that, but said nothing.

Misha smirked. "Great power . . . "

Silvara turned back to Misha. "The sword grants great power, but at a terrible price."

"What is the price?" he asked.

She looked thoughtful. "It is . . . truth."

Gruush looked puzzled "What do you mean, truth?"

"I think I can handle the truth." Misha said lightly.

She laughed bitterly. "Not truth such as this . . . " She looked at Gruush, and stroked his cheek with her hand. "Truth that sears you to your soul." She coughs up some blood.

Misha frowned and said "Where is the Sword of Ankara?"

Silvara smiled sadly. "You wish to know no more of the price. It is just as well . . . "

Gruush used his sleeve to wipe her mouth "You are not well. You must rest."

"The sword is gone." She said to Misha, and then nodded at Gruush. "I will, D'hakara, in a moment.” She looked back to Misha “Your mage and his dragon man did not take it . . . there were others here who took a share of the plunder, and the mage took the wrong sword."

Misha grimaced "Then where did it go?"

"The Sword of Ankara does not look special . . . it appears no better than an ordinary blade." Silvara said softly as Gruush stroked her hair. "There is an evil thing that lairs near here. I have always meant to destroy her, but I never seemed to get around to it. She has recently taken a mate, and become more bold than ever. When the mage attacked, so did Vallasta." She smiled at Gruush. "It was her mate who carried off the Sword of Ankara, though to him, it will be nothing but a blade."

Misha nodded and asked. "How far is it to her lair?"

"Where can we find them and recognize them?" Gruush said at the same time.

"And just what is Vallasta?" Misha continued.

"It is not far. If you traveled from Athkatla, you must have passed very close." Silvara said, then paused. "Vallasta? She is medusae . . . "

"What is that?" Gruush asked.

"Her mate Chaolosh will warn you off if you get too close." Silvara continued.

"We have met." Misha said grimly. "The mate, at least."

Silvara suddenly realized Gruush had asked her a questions and looked back at him, running her hand up his arm. "Her gaze will turn you to stone, D'hakara."

"Then I will not gaze at her. How do we kill her?" Gruush replied, almost smiling.

Misha kicked a chair in frustration. "So damn close."

She glanced back to Misha. "Then you passed close to her lair indeed."

Misha nodded. "We most likely stopped to rest inside her lair . . . "

"I doubt that. If you were inside her lair, her minions would have slaughtered you." Silvara said, then turned back to Gruush. "You kill her as any other, you just may not gaze upon her while you do so. She has grown strong of late . . . some sort of power strengthens her." Silvara coughed again, clearly weak. "I am sorry, I must rest . . . "

"Could it be her mate that strengthens her?" Karanaj wondered out loud.

"You are welcome to stay for the night . . . I will tell you all I know in the morning." Silvara stood, with Gruush’s help. "You should not attempt to assault her stronghold in the dark."

"Sounds mighty simple . . . " Misha smirked.

"Simple?" said Silvara, frowning. "I would not say that." She leaned on Gruush, barely able to stand. “At the other end of the hall, there are many rooms. What is mine, is yours. My bedroom lies at the end of that hallway." She coughed up blood again, as Gruush helped her to her room.

We decided to take Silvara’s advice, and remain through the night. I am not sure, but I believe that Gruush slept on the floor beside Silvara’s bed throughout the night, ready to help her should she call.

We sat up for a bit, talking. I have to admit that I am tired of this quest; at times, it seems never-ending. Misha laughed at me, and said "Did you expect this to be easy?" before hopping off the table and standing behind me to massage my shoulders, "I say we have had it relatively easy considering the circumstances." I leaned back, enjoying his touch for a brief moment, before the motion became more than I could bear, and I ran outside to be sick in the snow. Misha followed, and once I had finished, he said amusedly "Sick? Or something else . . . " I hate it when he’s right, and I told him as much, which made him laugh and say "I would tell you to take it easy but I know that isn't going to happen." He knows me so well, but he knows that I would not put our child in danger, either.

Misha laughed again . . . and said, "Yes. Of course. Corellon bless my son." as he stepped beside me and rubbed my stomach.

"Who says it will be a son?" I asked, as I smiled and put my hand over his.

"A daughter perhaps . . . " he said musingly. "It matters little . . . we are to have a child . . . and I am happy for that."

I laughed and said "Good . . . as am I."

Misha turned serious again and pulled his hand away, "So who is to wield the sword, Aliya?" I nodded and he asked "Is she up to the task?" I wish I knew. Something is bothering her, but she won’t tell me what it is. I told Misha so, and he asked if I thought it was him. She does not like him, that much is true, but I think this is something deeper, something she won’t admit to herself.

"After what the dragon said . . . I fear the truth." I said, thinking out loud.

"I don't fear the truth . . . " Misha said boldly, almost arrogantly. "There is nothing to fear in the truth." He does not understand. He thinks that if we have possession of the sword, and we use it when the time is right, all will be well. He never takes time to think. He says he is a man of action, yet sometimes thought is required before action. He says that is why he needs me, to temper his emotions. I almost laughed at that, for who is more emotional than I?

My brief amusement passed. I do not like what the prophecies say, nor what I have heard about the sword. Misha was not interested in hearing it. He said something strange, something I do not think he meant to say. "Fate . . . has played its hand . . . the threads are being snipped one by one. If they snip the center...........we will have all the facts . . . sooner hopefully than later." He wasn’t even listening to me, and I felt frustrated as I tried to make him understand, but he does not care what Aliya faces. He has never liked my sister, I know that, and it hurts me, for she is a part of me, so it is as if he hates a part of me. Maybe that’s what drove him to her........

Now it is I who is being self-centered and selfish. Aliya’s problems are far bigger than mine.
It is up to us to make sure she does not falter. I read the prophecies at night until it feels as if my eyes bleed. They make little sense to me. Misha says that if Aliya cannot fulfill her destiny, he will do what must be done. He is so thickheaded, my best-beloved. He refuses to accept that some things must be, that he cannot be everything. Sometimes when we’re arguing, I just want to scream in frustration. She is the sword bearer. It is a specific magic, but he refuses to believe it. He says there is always a choice. I told him what I knew of the sword then. It is truth, complete and unvarnished. Those with the gift that wield the sword . . . I am not even sure I understand it. They must face the truth of themselves before they can use it. And if they cannot face or deny this truth, then the sword will burn their hands, reject them. Just imagine it . . . Wielding the sword means reliving every injustice you have ever visited, no matter how slight. An apple stolen . . . A lie told . . . I asked Misha how he would like to relive Anteashara's death, and feel the wrongness of it in every fiber of your being, every time he drew his sword, to which he replied "If it could save the world, I would do it. What Corellon asks of me . . . I would do without hesitation . . . he only has but to say the word . . . my life I live for others . . . "

"It is written that the first wielder went insane . . . " I told him. "It gets worse. The sword will let you do no act that is wrong. If you raise your sword to strike down anyone you do not have to, it will visit the pain of every slash upon you tenfold. The truth of the sword is absolute."

Misha nodded and said “I am not afraid of the truth. Aliya . . . will be ready, I am sure. I have faith.”

I finally voiced my concern. “There is something she denies, to the core of her being . . . if she does not face it before we find the sword . . . it could destroy them both.”

"I am not sure if that is a chance we can take . . . " Misha said, frowning. "As I said before . . . if there is another way I will find it. There is always a choice." He brushed my hair back, “Trust me in that."

I was still worried. "I just hope we make the right one."

Misha nodded and kissed my forehead. "Between us both, I have no doubt we will."

I smiled at him and took his hand, and led him off to bed. I could not sleep and after watching him for a short while, I rose, and sat down to record the events of the day. I have found myself studying Misha lately, and perhaps there is something wrong with me, but I find myself focusing on his worst qualities. He is arrogant, and selfish, and very intolerant. He has no empathy for others, no understanding, and will not listen to reason. He is a know-it-all whose temper will one day get us all killed, and yet, I love him. It is a puzzle for which I have no easy answer, but there must be something there, tying me to him. I wish I knew what it was......

Talindra

First Post
Vallia’s Journal #16

4th day of The Claw of Winter, 1373 DR

I hate being trapped inside. Tempers flare and solitude is in short supply, although it is not anyone’s fault, except maybe the gods. The snowstorm we rode through yesterday still rages, and we decided it was best to delay our assault on the medusa’s lair until it subsided.

I have never liked cold weather, and I rose late this morning, preferring the warmth of the bed to the chill of the room. Misha was practicing with his sword. It seems sometimes that practicing and fighting is all that he does. I know it is not, but sometimes I feel as though I place a distant third on his list of priorities. It sounds odd to me, but I feel as if I love him more than he loves me, and sometimes I have this choking feeling that I am enslaved to him because of it. I know it is nothing more than my fears trying to control me, but still, I wonder.

I built a fire, and made fried apples again, since we had an abundance of the ingredients. The warm smell of cinnamon and apple on the breeze reminded me of Midwinter festivals long past, and I felt a pang of sadness at the thought that I may never know such contentment again. The moment quickly passed, and Misha and I sat down at the table, alone, to eat our breakfast. I savored the moment, a husband and wife doing such an ordinary thing. I am afraid that our life together will be far from ordinary, so I will take these things when I can. We laughed and joked, and for a moment, I was able to forget all my worries and sadness.

When he rose from the table, finally, and drew his sword, I could contain my questions no longer, as he admired the keen edge of his drow longsword.. "Beautiful..." he murmured. "Like you... only a shade less deadly..."

"Is that all you wish? To fight?" I asked. "What will you do when there is nothing left to fight, my love.”

"There is always something left to fight... my love..." he replied, almost teasingly.

I tried to make him understand what I meant, saying "But it will no longer be our fight, King Misha."

Misha shook his head, "An exiled King... with no claim.. no royal blood... all I have is you... my child... and conflict. I came into this world fighting... and I expect to leave it just the same..."

"Not if I have anything to do with it." I muttered.

"What do you mean?" he asked as he sheathed his blade.

"I do not wish to fight forever. I want to watch my children grow up in a place of peace, of safety." I answered, barely holding back tears. "I do not wish to lose you for many years yet."
Misha ignored the seriousness in my voice, playfully leaping onto the table to do a handstand.

"And we both know that one day you will find a fight you cannot win." I said, suddenly angry, as I shoved him off the table.

Misha landed on his feet, a little off balance, and sighed, "What was that for?"

"For being silly when I am serious."

Misha laughed heartily at that. "Burning Rose... will be there for his family. But the call... for battle... for right... gnaws at my heart... I am Corellon's Champion..." He hopped back up on the table and crouched near me, "What, you don't trust me to come home alive?" He flicked his beads with a smile.

"You cannot win every battle.....no one can." I said grimly.

Misha nodded. "But that is my place. I am a warrior. I have always been a warrior, only now I have a cause...you know that. He lifted my chin, making me look at him, "I cannot win them all... I know. But I will not and cannot stop... Corellon called me to duty... you..."

I was about to answer him when I heard Karanaj scream in my head "ALIYA!!!" Misha must have heard it too, because he leapt off the table, blade in hand, as I pulled my sword and ran for Kara’s room. Misha kicked the door in with a controlled rage... waving his blade about warily.
When we entered, Kara was unconcious on the floor, and Aliya nowhere to be found.

I checked on Karanaj, and found that he was alive, and seemingly unhurt. Glancing around the room, I noted that all of Aliya's things were gone, the bed was still rumpled, and Kara was not dressed. I looked back at Kara and cast a spell, then looked back at Misha. "He has been poisoned, but I do not know with what."

Misha scowled. "Great.....so where did the prodigal daughter go now?" I shook my head as he searched the rest of the fortress, but found no trace of Aliya. Misha hypothesized that someone had entered the fortress, poisoned Karanaj and took Aliya. I have to admit that seems to be the most plausible explanation, though Misha could find no evidence of their entry.

I was frustrated that I could not tell what type of poison had been used on Kara, but my worries were soon put to rest as Kara stirred, looking around the room. As he became aware of his surroundings, he stared with a haunted look. "What happened?" I asked. "What is it?"

“She is gone." Misha said.

Karanaj whispered quietly, "Leave me..."

Misha looked down at him. "Who did this?" "You can cry and lament... but I will find her abductors..."

Karanaj growled "NOW!"

Seeing his pain, I knelt in front of him, putting my arms around him. "No." I said quietly.

"Who did this?" Misha demanded. "Tell me and you can have all the solitude you like..."

I saw tears forming in Kara’s eyes, and hugged him tighter. "You must tell us."

"Aliya...." he says very quietly.

Misha waited for a moment, then repeated "Who did this?"

"Kalanthor... and Aliya..." Kara barely managed to say.

Misha looked puzzled. "Kalanthor.. that red dragon thing..."

Kara roared at him "You ask me who and I tell you! Aliya!!" The shock of that statement hit me like a blow, as I pulled away from him.

"She wouldn't!" I protested.

Misha nodded as I spoke. "Now it all makes sense..."

"She would... and did..." Kara said bitterly.

Misha turned, and said over his shoulder, "So much for the Sword bearer. I will find her..." He began to walk out the door.

His tone made my angry, and I demanded "And when you do?" Misha ignored me, sheathing his sword and walking away.

Knowing that Kara needed me now, I let Misha go and hugged him again. "Where did they go?"
He could not answer, and I knew he wanted to be alone, so I hugged him once more and kissed his cheek, then stood. "Call if you have need." He nodded absent-mindedly as I left. After a few moments we heard growling and the sounds of scuffling, coming from Kara's room.

I found Misha in the common room, just as I heard the noise, and turned to go back to Kara, thinking perhaps Kalanthor had returned. Misha stopped me. "I think it is simply Karanaj dealing with this betrayal. I would leave him alone..."

Just as I touched the door, Karanaj pulled it open hard, walking out with all of his things and equipment. "Going somewhere?" Misha asked.

"Anywhere but here." Karanaj snarled, leaving the door open and walking off. Inside we could see what remained of the bed, ripped apart, feathers strewn across the room.

"You can't run from yourself..." Misha said, and I almost laughed for a moment, to hear something like that from him. He should know. "And that is all you are doing... running..."

"Kara, you can't go out in the storm." I protested. "If you love Aliya, then believe in her. You do not know why she does what she does."

"And you do?" Misha said disgustedly.

I glared at him, angry. He has never liked Aliya, and that grates on my nerves. "Do I look like I do? I'm hoping, I believe in my sister."

Misha turned away from me. "Whatever happens she will not get the Sword. I will see to that personally if need be."

"And I will fight you." I heard myself say, before I even thought.

Karanaj sank slowly into a chair by the fire, as Misha gritted his teeth... "You wouldn't."

"Wouldn't I?" I said heatedly.

"She is not ready.” Misha argued.

“Who is?" I retorted.

"I have faith in many things... but in her..." Misha shook his head.

"She is my sister...." I said quietly, as I turned, heading for our room. "Fine....you and Kara find other places to sleep." She slams the door.

"Vallia!?" Misha followed me into the bedroom. I had drawn my sword, and was practicing forms as he entered and asked "Angry? Well, I am sorry... I am only looking at the harsh reality of what may have just occurred. You said yourself that she was hiding something... even from you..." I did not answer, but my anger fueled my movements, as I spun faster. “You have faith in her, for that I commend you. I want to have faith... but I can't... not now with what has happened, not with everything on the line. We are fighting on many fronts... our own people... corruption... the world... the Zhentarim... and dare I say it the end of the world. So excuse me if I am in short supply of faith outside of you and Corellon.."

"She is the only one who can wield the sword, you fool. If we cannot have faith in her, then it is pointless to go on." I hissed at him, lost in the red haze of my fury.

“There is always a way.” He replied. "I will not throw this quest aside at the behest of some spoiled princess... we will find a way... with or without her."

Almost without conscious thought, I whirled, my blade whizzing towards Misha's throat. Misha stepped back quickly, his own blade in hand. “With or without her... I will go on...and I will win." he said.

"Spoiled princess?" I spit at him as my blade stopped inches from his face. "Then you go on without me as well...."

"I meant your sister," he said as he tried to bat my sword aside. “You take offense at everything I say... even when it is not directed at you."

I held the sword steady, bringing it back in place. "I know what you meant. She is my sister! You insult her, you insult me....you mistrust her, you mistrust me...."

"You are two different people." Misha replied. "I know nothing of your sister outside of what I have seen."

I shook my head. "We are and we are not."

"You cannot ask me with all honesty to trust someone I know very little about... despite her lineage..." He continued, ignoring me.

"I trust her.....I am asking you to trust me." I said calmly.

"I trust you... but Vallia, I will not allow her near that Sword... not until I can see with my own eyes where she stands." he said, meeting my gaze.

"You don't trust me......" I said softly. "That is fine......just stay far away from me."

"I trust you." He muttered. "I am not going anywhere. I trust you... but Aliya has to earn that trust once more."

"So be it,” I said. “But get out of my room."

"What?" Misha looked shocked. "So you turn your back on me? Because I tell you how I feel,
where I stand?"

"Because you will not trust me when I say you can trust her." I replied evenly. "Leave."

"Then where did she go?" he taunted. "Tell me, what is she doing? Did she trust you enough to tell you these things? Obviously she feels she must go this alone... and does not trust us..."

"If I knew that I would tell you." I snarled and turned, hurling my sword point first into the wall, where it stuck, quivering. "I SAID LEAVE!!"

"No."

"Fine, then I will." I didn’t trust myself around him any longer. For a moment, I felt a hate for him stronger than anything I had felt in my life, and I wanted nothing more than to put my sword through his heart. It was a brief moment, but maybe he read it on my face.

"Fine..." he said as he moved to leave. “Have it your way."

Sarcastically, I replied. "I always do Misha, it's what makes me so spoiled."

“If it isn't one thing it is another.” He said. "In that case... call me when you see fit to give me an opinion... since I must be incapable of doing so without upsetting you." He left, and I fell to my knees, praying. Praying for guidance, wisdom, patience....anything.....

After some time, I left the room, and found Kara weeping on the floor of the bedroom he had shared with Aliya. As I knelt beside him, I heard Aliya’s voice, and I know he did as well. She explained her actions as best she could, and I could feel my heart breaking for Kara. I held him for a moment, and then rose, leaving him to his grief. It pains me that there is nothing I can do for him, but I must accept it.

I heard Misha singing, and entered the common room to find him training once again, adding more flair and acrobatics with flips... and rolls and exotic strikes... with spins. "Always you show off, it will get you killed." I observed.

He paused, kneeling and panting, his back to me, his sword out and low. "What do you want?"

His tone made me stiffen, and I turned to go. "Nothing...."

Misha stood "And yet you came from something.” He turned to me "What is it?"

"Kara spoke to Aliya, as did I. She is being forced by a spell.....and she wishes for us to kill her, if we cannot stop her." I said sadly.

Misha nodded, twirling his blade in his hands... "I think I can oblige her there if need be."

My rage rose up again, as red hot as before, and I nearly lunged for him, but controlled myself as Kara emerged from his room. "I am glad you are so eager." he said. "I, for one, am not." Kara glanced at me, then said "Perhaps you are the only one that could, Misha."

Misha turned away from us again. "I will do what needs to be done." He paused for a brief moment, then continued. "Vallia.. I do not relish this... but if comes to it... then we must kill her."

"I know that... and that is the only reason I will not kill you if you touch her." Karanaj said resignedly.

Misha glances at Karanaj, "Thank you, I am glad I have your approval."

“You have no such thing." Karanaj snapped. "I will allow you to grant her request, but ONLY if it comes to that."

I turned and held Misha’s eyes for a long moment.. "Kill her and you will have to kill me."

"It is your sister's wish.” Misha argued, and looked at Karanaj. "Do you think me a murderer? I will only do so if there is no alternative, not a moment sooner."

"And I am telling you I will die as well." I told him. It had taken some time, but after Aliya was taken prisoner, I had realized why I had reacted the way I did, and what it meant.

Karanaj frowned. "There is the chance to save her. I will not allow her to die when I could save her."

Misha looked very serious. "Well, we just need to find a way to save her.” He glanced at me, then looked away. "But if it comes to it... my love... then I will do it..."

"You will kill us both?" I could hardly believe what I was hearing.

He turned away from me. "You make it sound like this is what I want...it isn't..."

I trembled as hold on my self-control slipped. "I will make it easier...." I turned and left the room, but the fool followed me, grabbing me arm and forcing me to turn back to him.

"Talk to me Vallia..."

I shook my head. "No."

"Do you think this is what I want?" He was pleading with me, to my surprise. He was asking me to understand and accept that he might kill me. I could not keep the contempt from my face. "No! I will not lose you... and by everything that is good we will not lose Aliya..."

"Yes, you will." I said softly.

Stubbornly, he said "There is always a choice... and by Corellon I will find it..."

"Then find it." I said flatly, as I tried to pull away from him.

Misha growled and pulled me close, kissing me hard. "Help me... together...that is the only way we can get through this..."

"And if I do.....will you then be able to kill her?" I demanded.

"I will not kill her unless there is no other way. You have my word... my bond... no other way..."

My heart in my throat, I asked. "Can you kill her knowing you kill me?"

"Vallia you know the answer to that question." he said softly.

Icily, I said "Do I?"

He kissed me again, as I stood there, stiff in his arms. "Sadly... you know the answer."

I made my decision. "Then this is goodbye Misha. I will not do anything to change that."

Misha looked confused. "Goodbye? Where are you going?"

"I will help, but stay away from me." I said determinedly.

Misha stepped back. "Don't do this..."

"I cannot do anything that might make you hesitate...." I lied too him more smoothly than I thought possible.

Misha sighed. “You hate me for my duty. This is who I am now."

"Duty has its place." I said distantly.

"You think I should forsake it?" he asked curiously

"I think you must control it, not let it control you." I replied.

Misha nodded, but he did not really understand. "You know where I stand. I will save Aliya if I can... and if it comes to it... then I will destroy her... but only if there is no other way."

"So duty takes precedence over all.....including me...." I don’t know why I continued to ask these questions. I was only causing myself pain, but I had to ask.

Misha stepped forward and touched my cheek... a single tear sliding down his face. "I choose life... I choose you... but this is bigger than us Vallia..."

My heart felt like stone. He had made his choice. "And so, you choose duty...."

"I am a King... I have a responsibility to my people..."

“To kill your Queen.” I finished.

"This is not an easy decision." he protested.

I turned away from him again. "Stay away from me, Misha."

"Vallia, wait..."

I whirled, glaring at him, my grip on myself almost gone. "What?!?" He just looked at me. "You thought not at all before making the decision....you are almost eager. And I have not heard you once consider the most important things."
Misha sighed and drew his masterwork dagger and looked at it, "And that is? I have considered you... our child... that is why I make it a point to do everything I can to save her... but I will not look past the possibility that it may be all for naught."

"Then you will kill all three of us." I could scarcely believe what I was hearing. I felt as though I didn’t even know Misha.

"Then I won't...I won't kill her no matter the cost..."

Bitterly, I said. "And what of your precious duty?"

He looked at me, holding the dagger tightly. "Duty... is all that I am. I apologize Vallia, for my eagerness."

I eyed the dagger uneasily. "What are you doing with that?"

"There is one sure way to stop me from acting against Aliya... to save you, her and our child. As you said, my duty is precious to me. Everything I have done... I have done for you... and the cause." He looked down at the dagger, and my eyes narrowed, as I knocked it from his hand.

"Now you understand my resolve." he said grimly. "There is no eagerness... no relish of bloodshed... only duty... I will do what must be done to save everyone."

"I understand you are a bigger fool than I thought." I spat.

"I wouldn't have killed myself... it was only a measure to show my resolve." That, more than anything, made me furious. He had manipulated me, and he had done it so effortlessly.

I turned away. "Far away, Misha. Stay far away."

"Fine... I will be gone before the eve." he said.

I stopped, but did not turn. "You will not help us find the sword?"

"I will meet you there but I shall keep my distance since I cannot be trusted." I wanted to scream, to strike him, to do something, but all I did was shake my head. "You made me who I am, Vallia."

"Travel with us. Just keep your distance from me." I said quietly.

"No. I am too much a threat to your existence. I will not stay in your presence and be alienated. You ask too much... all or nothing." I ask to much? I resolved then that if I were to die, then I would choose the terms by which I would do it.

I glared at him, and picked up the dagger. "Fine."

"Which is it?” he asked evenly. "Stay or go?"

"You may stay.” I answered softly. “You will not have to kill Aliya in any case."

"Good. I did not plan on doing so. I know I will find a way." He said arrogantly. "Let us focus on saving her. We shall leave thoughts of her death to the wayside until the time it is absolutely needed. For now... we focus on life."

I shook my head at his foolishness, and raised the dagger. "You will not have to kill her because I will." Misha looked grim. "I will not kill her.....not really...." I continued. "When the time comes, I will simply kill myself."

Misha shouted "NO!?"

I shrugged. "What is the difference Misha? Either way, we will both be dead."

"No one dies.” He said. "I will not let it happen."

I tucked his dagger into my belt and nodded. "It is your responsibility to see to it then."

“She will live... you will live... we must focus on life. Death will only weaken the weave." It sounded suspiciously close to an order.

"You focus on life.....I am too weary." I said, and I walked away.

Misha has avoided me since our little chat, not that I blame him. I have been deluding myself. There are things he loves more than me…things he would sacrifice me for. That knowledge is like a knife in my heart, and every time I look upon him, it twists a little bit deeper.

Talindra

First Post
6th day of The Claw of Winter, 1373 DR

Vallia’s Journal #17 (Part One)

It has been a tense several days, as the blizzard raged on outside, and inside, a storm of another kind raged. Kara, Misha and I have avoided each other, and Gruush has been occupied in caring for Silvara. I can tell that he cares for her, but seeing them together right now only causes me pain. It has been a silent few days, each of us withdrawing into our own shells.

The mornings have been worse for me. The sickness comes almost every day now. Sad as it seems now, Misha was right, I am with child. It could not have happened at a worse time, but what else could I expect from Misha’s child?

This morning, as Kara brought in wood for the fire, I noted that the storm finally seemed to have stopped, and commented on it, just as Gruush helped Silvara into the common room. Misha emerged a few seconds later, echoing my sentiment. Silvara agreed, and gave us directions back to the medusa’s lair, saying that she would hunt for the day, to help herself heal, assuring Gruush that she would fine alone. She warned us to move quickly, saying that a power struggle had erupted between the grell and the medusa, and warning us not to be caught in the middle. We took her advice to heart, and left immediately.

Despite my opinion to the contrary, Misha decided that we should ride to the medusa’s lair. Seeing as she lives underground, I didn’t think it wise to announce our presence with pounding hooves, but I deferred to Misha’s wisdom. Since he thought to travel fast, I pushed my horse into a run, pulling far ahead of the others, though Misha tried in vain to catch me. I slowed, finally, allowing him to catch me, feeling a little smug. "I thought you were in a hurry." I said offhandedly, while he fumed. The others caught us a short time later, and there was some idle chatter that I paid little attention to.

We reached the medusa’s lair as the sun began to sink in the sky, and secured our horses to a tree outside before entering the opening in the rock face of the cliff. The cave we entered was rough, but Misha’s searching soon revealed a lever. Ever cautious, Misha tried it to see what it would do.

With a loud scrape, a secret door on the side of the cave opposite the hidden level opened. Before we could react, the room was flooded by terrible creatures, their stench almost as horrible as their appearance. Wild black hair flew about their faces, which were covered, like the rest of their bodies, with scaly, grey flesh. It was their eyes that pierce you, however. White, sightless eyes stared out as the creatures swarm toward us, axes brandished eagerly. Misha jumped back with a curse.

Wasting no time with words, I moved to attack the creatures. Unfortunately, I stepped on a loose stone, and as my balance faltered, the creatures axe intercepted my sword, knocking it to the ground, and sending me to one knee. Gruush immediately rushed to my aid, slitting the throat of the grimlock that stood poised to sink its axe into my head. The remaining grimlocks seemed angered by the death of their comrade, and came at us like a pack of wolves. Three surrounded Misha, though only one was able to land a blow as Misha guts its comrade. Two came at Gruush, who moved in front of me, one catching a glancing blow to his shoulder.

Two of the grimlocks avoided the battle near Gruush, moving to attack me as I tried to reach my sword on the cold stone floor. Kara moved to help me, but was flanked by two grimlocks himself, taking several grievous blows. I moved back just as the two grimlocks reached me, but one still managed to catch my shoulder with his axe. I raised my hand, casting a spell, and searing light burned into the grimlock that attacked me. As it fell, I used the distraction to grab my sword and stand, ready to face the other one.

Gruush, ignoring his danger, attacked the grimlock I faced, decapitating it in a quick blow. Across the room, I saw one of the creatures on Misha land a glancing blow to his forearm, doing no real damage. As I was distracted, one of the grimlocks that had attacked Kara turned, striking me hard in the back. I cried out and turned, even as the other one struck Kara as well. Misha looked grim then, and gutted one of the grimlocks attacking him, then spun, taking the other’s head.

Gruush finished his grimlocks and moved to help Kara, and together they killed the grimlock they faced, as my anger took control of me, and I viciously hacked the one in front of me to pieces. The room fell silent, except for the sound of our heavy breathing. I winced as I looked down at the blood on my shoulder, but was grateful that nothing worse had happened. I moved to Kara’s side, laying my hands on him. I watched his wounds close, then saw to my own. Misha seemed unhurt and used his wand to heal Gruush.

We wiped our blades clean, and moved to inspect the room beyond the secret door. We could see a simple room that almost certainly was home to the creatures that just attacked us--it had their smell. Low, wooden pallets served as beds for as many as 30 of the creatures, although many looked as though they have not been used in a while. Rags, bones, tools, weapons, and miscellaneous refuse lay scattered over the floor. I wrinkled my nose, feeling nauseous.

Misha searched the room, finding some gold, but little else. There was an opening to the right of the room, going to what appeared to be a hallway. The hallway emptied into an elegant and tastefully appointed reception hall. Well-crafted statuary lined both long walls with heavy, red curtains hung majestically behind them. Red carpet of the same material led up to a matching set of light gray stone chairs. The chairs were intricately carved, complementing the natural veins of a greenish stone. To the right and left, on either side of these chairs, were stone doors bound in iron.

Misha inspected each statue, as I glanced around. Each statue was unique: a beautiful maiden, a wizened sage, a powerful knight.....Each had a subtle expression of surprise or fear on its face. After a brief inspection, Misha noted that a small nail had been driven into the back of each statue's head. Misha seemed puzzled by this, and after much thought, ventured the idea that perhaps the medusa petrified its victims, and these statues were in fact adventurers who had failed. I looked at the statues with new horror, but started when I heard a voice come from the doorway which we had just entered.

Familiar in its accent and lack of emotion, the voice said "You were fools to come here. If you have harmed Vallasta, you will know the true meaning of vengeance." Standing at the entrance to the hall was the hairless, muscular man wearing the kilt. His eyes were dark, and his fists clenched at his sides.

"We have not harmed her. What is your name?" Gruush asked.

He frowned. "I am Chaolosh."

"It is good to finally meet you. Thank you for the warning earlier about leaving." Gruush said amiably.

“You would do well to heed it again." Chaolosh replied.

"Why don't you want us here?" Gruush asked.

Unemotionally, Chaolosh stated "You are in my home, uninvited."

"Why don't you want us here?" Gruush pushed. "We didn't know it was your home. We were told it was the grells home."

"You lie."

“We come for the sword..." Misha said as he stepped back, slowly backing up towards the two thrones.

"Sword?" Chaolosh’s gaze flickered to Misha, and realized what he was doing. "STOP!" He shouted.

"What's wrong?" Gruush said as Misha began to chant the divine words for Divine Favor...

"Very well, have it your way. I was willing to let you go." Chaolosh said with finality.

"What have we done to upset you?" Gruush began to say as Chaolosh moved to attack the closest foe....Karanaj. Gruush tripped him on the way, and punched him, pushing him down to the floor. Kara swung his sword at the prone man, and it bit deep into his back as he cried out. Knowing we had little choice, I stepped up, attacking as well, my sword sinking into him as well.

One of the stone doors at the end of the room flew open, and Vallasta entered the fray, charging Misha. The snakes on her head snapped at him, but he managed to avoid being bitten. "By Kali, you've come to your doom this time, humans. Look into the eyes of your destroyer!"

We were able to avoid the lure of looking into her eyes, but Chaolosh took advantage of our distraction, sinking into the stone floor, disappearing. At that moment, we heard a long low ringing, like the sound of a bell, just like the sound we had heard several times before. We did not have time to stop and ponder what it meant, however.

Misha tried to strike the medusa, but only scratched her arm as she hissed "You will pay for that." Gruush moved to help him, landing a slight blow to the medusa as well. Karanaj tried to cast a spell, but caught the medusa’s eye as he finished, and turned into a stone statue, as Vallasta laughed. The laugh angered me, and I moved forward. My powerful blow knocked the witch from her feet, but as she fell, Chaolosh formed from the stone at her feet, and fed her a potion. She straightened, even as a noise drew everyone's attention from the battle. Four grell careened into the room. as Gruush strikes Chaolosh, and Misha decapitates the medusa.

The grell joined the fray, two attacking Gruush, and two attacking Misha. Tentacles wrapped around Misha, and began to lift him off the floor, but I rushed forward, hitting the one holding him hard enough to make it let go. I heard a screech as Gruush injured one of the grell he faced, just as Misha killed the grell that had held him captive. Misha whirled to the other grell, slashing it twice as it slapped him with two tentacles.

Gruush looked to be lost in a forest, and I saw at least five tentacles touch his skin, as I brought my sword around, cutting the last grell attacking Misha in two. Gruush finished one grell, while Misha killed the other. Glancing around, I saw that Chaolosh had disappeared again. I healed Gruush, while frantically thinking of a way to help Kara. I have never felt more helpless.

Misha wanted to investigate behind the doors, but I refused to leave Kara, so he and Gruush continued alone. They had only been gone a short time when I heard a whisper of noise behind me, and I turned, to see Chaolosh with hammer and nail, ready to drive it into the base of Kara’s skull. Without thought, I pulled and flung the dagger in my belt, catching him in the throat. He fell, blood seeping into the dirt around him. I moved to him warily, pulling my dagger out of his flesh, and cleaning it, before tucking it back in my belt. As I did so, I noticed that Chaolosh wore a sword, plain and unadorned, but something pulled me to it, and I pulled it out, looking at the shining blade. I knew we had found what we had sought, and called Misha in my mind, bidding him to return.

Misha actually sounded concerned, saying "Did he hurt you, my love?"

I looked down at the hammer and nail at my feet and said "Not me. He came to kill Kara as he killed the others. I had other ideas."

Misha smirked. "They don't call you Wildcat for nothing..."

"I can take care of myself." I said. "But I am ready to leave, before the grell invade full force.” The others agreed, and Misha tried to lift Kara, but could not. I strapped the sword to my back, and together, the three of us dragged Kara back out to the horses. A plan formed in my mind, and I pulled a blanket from my saddlebags, and with Misha and Gruush’s help, I wrapped Kara’s feet in it, then tied rope around him, and to the saddles of my horse and Misha’s. It was slow going, but we managed to drag him back to the dragon’s fortress in the darkness.

The sun was rising as we made it back, exhausted, and I could barely sit my horse, almost falling as we came to a stop. Misha caught me, and pulled me from my saddle, carrying me inside to bed, as Gruush tended to the horses. I saw movement at the table as we entered the fortress, and heard someone say "Welcome back." as Aliya stepped from the shadows.

Last edited:

Talindra

First Post
10th day of The Claw of Winter, 1373 DR

Vallia’s Journal #17 (Part Two)

It has been several days since I started this entry, and did not finish it. For a long time, I did not feel as though I could relate what had happened after Aliya returned, and yet, I know that it will help me to say it. I suppose I should begin where I left off, because if I start with how it ended, I will never be able to finish this entry.

At the sound of Aliya’s voice, Misha silently put me down, and proceeded down the hallway, I assumed to find Silvara. He quickly returned without her, and sat silently in a chair in the far corner of the common room, silent, his eyes never leaving Aliya. She moved over to the table, and sat, propping her up on the chair. "You don't appear happy to see me." She glanced around, a little nervously. "And where's Karanaj?"

"Petrified." Misha said softly.

A little angry at her attitude, I said. "Happy to see you? Should I be happy to see you?"

Aliya glanced at Misha for a moment. "This is no time for jokes."

I shook my head at her. "No joke. Karanaj met a medusa's stare. He is a stone statue. That is what is wrapped in the blankets outside."

Aliya sat up, tears filling her eyes. "Oh, Kara..." she said softly.

Misha watched Aliya a moment and stood. "I will bring him inside before he catches his death of cold..." He headed outside, as I kept my gaze on Aliya.

"I am surprised to see you so upset, considering how you left." I said finally.

Aliya looked up at me through tear-filled eyes. "You know it wasn't my choice." She grimaced. "Did you find the sword?"

I started to answer, but broke off as Misha and Gruush wrestled Kara’s statue inside, panting with the exertion. "I hope we don't move him too often.” Gruush remarked.

Aliya looked at the statue and moved over to touch his cheek. "Kara....."

At that moment, I made my decision. "And all for nothing....the sword was gone."

Aliya turned quickly, her face anxious. "Gone? Gone where?"

Misha nodded in agreement and glanced at Gruush. "Yeah, the sword slipped through our grasp..." Gruush nodded too, just as we heard a rather loud thump in the courtyard.

"Now what?" Misha said exasperatedly. Moments later, Silvara entered, smiling.

"Well, well, nice to see......good gods, what happened here?" She exclaims.

Gruush smiled at her "Hello Sylvara."

"Karanaj locked eyes with the Medusa." Misha smirked.

Silvara looked at Gruush a little anxiously. "Were any of the rest of you hurt?"

"Nothing time and Corellon's touch won't heal." Misha answered for him, as Gruush shook his head. Misha looked to Aliya, "I am not sure about the prodigal daughter though."

Silvara looked at Gruush a moment more, and then looked away. "Ah, I see our wayward lass has returned and....my goodness!" Silvara looked grim and nods. "I see."

Misha turned to walk outside... "A rather bad day all around..."

“All of you move away from her, right now." Silvara commanded. I was confused, and I saw my own feelings mirrored on Aliya’s face. Silvara's eyes flashed, and her voice boomed. "I SAID MOVE!!!" Gruush backed away quickly, as I jumped, and almost ran to Silvara’s side.

Aliya stood, her confusion clear. "What is wrong? What's going on?" Misha paused at the door and glanced over his shoulder, waiting. Silvara smiled, showing her teeth. "I suggest you sit there child." Aliya frowned, but sat slowly. "Misha, be a good boy, and tie her up, would you?"

Aliya stood again quickly, saying "What?!?" as Misha smiled. That smile angered me. He enjoys seeing her upset.

Silvara looked back. "Child, I told you to sit." Aliya looked at her face a long moment, and gulped, then sat slowly.

Misha walked over and drew his keen blade. "Sit still and you should be alright."

Angrily, I grabbed Silvara's arm. "What is going on?" My eyes never left Misha, however, and I was ready to act should he do anything stupid. He tied Aliya up as best he could.

Silvara barely spared me a glance, saying "Gently now, Misha, but firmly. She is a spellcaster. Gag her as well."

Misha nodded and ripped part of her sleeve, then stuffed it into her mouth. "Sorry sister." He said sarcastically and shrugged.

My tenuous hold on my temper slipping, I said commandingly. "What is the meaning of this?"

Silvara raised an eyebrow at me, and for a moment, I wanted nothing more than to run and hide. I settled for holding my tongue. Finally, she moved to sit at the table. "Bring me some tea, child." she says to me offhandedly.

Seething, I poured some tea in a cup and carried it to her. Ever the mediator, Gruush asked "Silvara, what's going on?" as Misha sat, watching Aliya. She nodded her thanks to me and took the cup, taking a sip, sitting thoughtfully for a moment.

"There is a spell in her mind." She said finally. "Her actions are not of her own will. Had I not been so...indisposed.....when you came, I would have noticed it then."

Gruush frowned at that. "What spell? Can you tell?"

She took another sip. "Compulsion, but to do what and for what purpose I cannot say."

"So let us remove the spell." Misha said impatiently. "Or is it not that simple?"

Silvara slowly smiled at him. "Have you the power to do so?"

"I have the power to take her head, if we can't remove the spell." he gestured to his blade. "But that is not a choice I relish." My anger flared at this. He speaks of it so easily, her death, our death.

"Always you think of killing." I snapped.

"Easy Misha, she is still Ailya." Gruush warned.

"I am a warrior I settle things by the blade." Misha responded flippantly.

Biting my lip, I thought about the problem, trying to ignore Misha as best I could. "I think I can do it."

"Then try." Misha ordered, and my anger flared even brighter, and for a moment I wanted to kill him and be done with it.

"One day, the blade will settle you." I growled, then glanced at Silvara. "I will need some time to pray." I said as I turned, moving towards my room.

"Aliya is not going anywhere." Misha called after me amusedly. I slammed the door behind me.

I took a moment to collect myself and knelt to pray. I had been praying for quite some time, when I heard the door creak open slowly, and Misha entered. I glared up at him, as he said, "Aliya is doing as well as could be expected."

"Fine." I said detachedly.

“Perhaps you have a moment?" Misha said, almost timidly, which gave me pause. I nodded.

"What is it?" He walked over and kneeled beside me and enveloped me in a hug. I was stiff with shock for a moment, and then I hugged him back tightly, suddenly needing him so badly.

"How are you doing?" he whispered.

"As well as can be expected." I answered wryly, my voice muffled by his shirt.

"Corellon will see us through, ma'sheira." he said, and I felt a sudden surge of something at those words.

"Of course." I answered firmly. "And if he does not, we will do it on our own."

"I do not doubt him." he replied, before kissing my forehead.

"Nor do I." I said, and smiled, though I am not sure I meant it.

Misha pulled back, putting a hand on my stomach with a smile and asking "How is our child?"

I put my hand over his. "He does not like me to eat. But if his kicks are any indication, he is a strong one."

Misha smiled at that. "A son..."

"Perhaps." I said, just before he kissed me. I held him close, kissing him with a desperation I didn’t know I felt. Almost as if I thought it would be the last time I would get to hold him.

He pulled back. "It does not matter. It will be our child, and that all that matters."
I laughed as Misha kissed me yet again. “What do you think you are doing?”

“We have some time... Karanaj is well," he said and I sat up in alarm.

“He is?"

"Yes...what is it?"

"If he is awake...has he seen Aliya?" I asked urgently.

Misha shrugged, and then blinked as understanding washed over him. "This will be bad..."

"That is an understatement." I said as we both jumped up, heading for the door.

We rushed into the common room just in time to hear Gruush say "Be careful, she's under a compulsion spell."

"Yes she is!!!" Misha said loudly, striding towards them. "Step away from her Kara."

Karanaj looked back at him sadly, "You don't think I know that already?"

"Well, I still would like you to step back." Misha said, taken aback at Kara’s words. "Save the reunion for later. I am sorry but it is for the best."

As I stood there, Silvara pressed a plate and cup into my hands, and I nodded my thanks and sat to eat. Karanaj sighed and stood, still staring at Aliya. "Come and eat Kara." I said. "She will be free soon enough." Silvara forced Misha to take plate and cup as well, shooing him towards the table. Karanaj closed his eyes and turned finally, walking over to the table, grabbing his cup and plate on the way.

Karanaj sat, placing his food in front of him, picking at it. I picked at my food as well, trying to select those things I thought I might keep down. Misha placed his food on the table and watched Aliya, not eating. Gruush ate quickly, and broke the awkward silence, saying "This is very good Silvara."

Silvara smiled at that. "I am pleased you like it."

"Well, this is a pleasant meal." Misha said, and turned to Karanaj, "Kara..." he started to say, but stopped, as Gruush spoke to an old man, whom I had not even noticed. I assumed he was the wizard who had saved Kara, and ignored the conversation, finishing my food and moving to Aliya’s side, to begin my spell. It took some time to complete, but finally, I felt something give way inside Aliya, and I stood, touching Aliya on the shoulder. Only then did I notice the tears running down her face. I glanced to Silvara and she nodded.

“It is gone,” she confirmed. I pulled the gag from my sister's mouth, and cut her loose quickly. Al the while, I spoke with Aliya mentally, asking her what was wrong. She had difficulty explaining, but she told me that she had confided to Misha that during her long captivity, Kalanthor and Mantatlus had made her doubt which brother she loved, that they had brought her close to choosing Kalanthor over Karanaj. She said that she still dreams of Kalanthor, and had been unsure what she would do were we ever faced with him again. I asked if Kara knew this, and she said that only since her return had she admitted it to herself. She had confided in Misha, and he had betrayed her, telling Karanaj everything. I felt my anger at him swell again, as Aliya collapsed into my arms, weeping.

"What's wrong?" Gruush asked, sounding confused.

"Misha is a fool." I hissed, as I pulled Aliya to her feet, not wanting the others to see her cry.

"That is not news." Gruush said, smiling at Misha, even as Misha said "Tell me something I don't know." Their flippant attitude infuriated me even more.

"Aliya will be staying with me. Misha can sleep in the stables." I announced, as I guided Aliya from the room. She pulled away from me, and said she must speak with Kara, so I waited in the hallway, in case she had need of me, and listened to the conversation in the common room.

"What did you do this time?" Gruush growled.

"Who knows?" Misha quipped. "Perhaps the stables have better company then my bedroom.”

"Do you know what is going on?" I heard Gruush ask Silvara.

"I have a pretty good idea." She responded grimly.

Gruush sounded confused. "Would you let me in on it?"

"I would say Misha told Karanaj something Aliya did not wish him to know." She replied.

"Something that kara needed to know." Misha said defensively.

"Something he needed to know from her!" Silvara snapped.

“People are too much for skirting around the truth." Misha said arrogantly. "She wouldn't tell him."

"So the great and all knowing Misha did it for her." Silvara said bitingly. "You cannot keep the peace in your own marriage, perhaps you should look to your own home before meddling in others." The words hurt me, but I could not deny the truth in them.

"Why did you really tell him Misha?" Gruush asked.

"As I said before he needed to know, and I doubt his wife would tell him." Misha said, dismissively.

"You never gave her the chance." Silvara growled. "She told you, didn't she? In trust? And you betrayed her."

Stubbornly, Misha continued. “I did what I believed was the right thing. I never said for her to trust me."

Silvara answered quietly. "If you had betrayed me in such a way, I would have killed you."

"I told her as much, that I did not trust her." Misha almost whined.

"Perhaps she was trying to change that." Silvara said grimly.

"I don't want her trust... all I need from her is to fulfill her role in the prophecy.” The coldness in his voice shocked me. He thinks only to use her.

"You alienate one sister, you alienate both." Silvara stated.

The wizard muttered. "You are more a fool than I thought."

"You know nothing about me." Misha fumed.

The wizard snorted. "Don't I?

"And Vallia and I will reconcile, we always do." he continued, ignoring the old man. Misha assumes too much, he takes me for granted, I cannot have that.

Quietly, I heard Silvara say "Not this time."

"I know not who you are old man," Misha began threateningly. "We have time to mend our wounds... for now we stay the course. This is bigger then bruised egos and coarse words."

"If you do not learn to work together, to trust, you will fail." said the old man softly.

"We must learn to trust each other before it is too late." Gruush wisely advised.

"I am trying." Misha said importantly.

"Trying? Bah! You do not try." the old man snapped.

"I am done trying." Misha gave up, like he always does, ready to run. "If you will excuse me... I have a stable to tend to."

"What do you know of all this?" Gruush asked the wizard.

"Then you will fail." the wizard does not seem to hear Gruush. "All of your duty....."

"i will not fail." Misha stated positively.

The wizard must have lost his patience at that point, because he shouted "SILENCE!" his voice thundering. "Always you deny, always you refuse to listen! FOOL!"

"I will not listen to words of failure." Misha stubbornly replied. "Failure is not an option I can contemplate. I have come too far to fail now. All of us..."

"You will not listen to anything!" the wizard cut Misha off. "And if you wish to succeed, you must contemplate failure."

"We have lost companions... many have died...."

"And it will all be for nothing if you persist in your folly." the wizard promised.

"Folly!" Misha exploded. "I am a King in exile... what more folly is there then that?"

"You are holding this group apart. You. Misha Koldun." the wizard pronounced. "You divide when you should unite. You betray when you should trust."

"Fine.” Misha said angrily.

"Listen to him Misha." Gruush implored.

"That is all you have to say?" the wizard asked.

"There is nothing let to say." Misha snarled. "I have made mistakes that have nearly torn this group apart."

"You are a petulant little boy, too stubborn to listen to reason. And you pout, while the world burns."

"I do not pout I am making a decision." Misha responded.

"Oh?" the old man said mockingly. "You do not have a good track record at that, you know."

Misha ignored him. "Gruush, you are the warrior but you are also the heart. You have more compassion then any I have met. I leave them in your capable hands."

"So you are leaving then? Turning your back on your duty?" the wizard said scornfully.

"I need time to reconcile the choices I have made." Misha says quietly. I listened, my heart breaking again, but I made no move to stop him, thinking it would be better if he were gone.

Gruush sounded concerned. "We cannot succeed without you."

"I am not leaving, but I must take time to reflect on the poor choices I have made as of late." Misha responded.

"See that you do not take too long." the wizard admonished him.

"I shall not be too long." He replied, and I heard the door close.

"Perhaps he is not the one." the wizard commented.

"Perhaps." Silvara answered.

Gruush sighed. “Impetuous fool."

"You are very smart, best-beloved." she said to Gruush. I smiled at that. At least I can be happy for him. It’s all I have to be happy about, now.

"I am not worthy of that praise from one so great as you." Gruush said humbly.

The wizard snorted. "Great? Her? Bah..."

"Yes, great." Gruush replied evenly.

"Your only fault is not taking enough credit, best-beloved." Silvara told Gruush.

"I don't deserve credit, I fail when I should easily succeed." Gruush answered.

The wizard coughed. "Is there a place I can rest?"

"Just down the hall." Silvara said.

"Thank you." he said, and I heard him leave.

"I have never seen you fail best-beloved." she said tenderly.

Gruush chuckled "I had trouble with a single kobold, I was told it was quite funny to watch me miss him."

"Ah, I see. Well, everyone has an off day....even me." Silvara replied comfortingly.

"I doubt that." He laughed.

"You would be surprised." she responded. They began to discuss the wizard, but I couldn’t hear them, because suddenly some rather….well….embarrassing noises were coming from Kara and Aliya’s room. Soon I could not stand to stay outside their door any longer, and made my way back to the common room, red-faced.

They looked up as I entered and Gruush asked "Vallia, have Aliya & Kara forgiven each other?"

I glanced back at the hallway and nodded. "I would say so, despite Misha's interference."

"Speaking of Misha, what about you two?" Gruush said.

"What about us?" I said guardedly.

"Will you two make up when he returns?" he probed.

"He betrayed my sister's trust." I said flatly. "That is like betraying me."

"You knew that about Misha when you met, he can't be trusted with a secret." Gruush argued. “He didn't mean to hurt you."

"No?" I seethed. "He meant to hurt Aliya. And Karanaj."

"No, he actually thought he was doing good." Gruush corrected.

Silvara shook her head. "I disagree. I have seen the way he looks at Aliya. He does not like her."

"Why would he want to hurt them?" Gruush sounded confused.

"Not them, just her." Silvara stated.

"Why hate her?" he asked.

"I don't know." she said sadly.

"I don't understand why he would hate her for no reason." Gruush pressed.

"Nor do I." answered Silvara.

Aliya entered just then, followed by Karanaj. "Did I see food....I'm starving!" Silvara jumped up, smiling, and got Aliya a plate. Karanaj sat, pulling Aliya over to sit next to him. Aliya sat, giggling, and began to eat. It hurt to watch them, and I turned away.

“You wouldn't happen to have more food, would you? My appetite seems to have returned." Karanaj smiled.

"Of course." Silvara smiled back at him, and gave him a heaping plateful.

“Aliya, why does Misha dislike you so?” Gruush asked bluntly.

She shrugged. "I don't know why he dislikes me so, except that perhaps I tell him truth."

Gruush states "We need him back." and Aliya snarled, even as he held up a hand, forestalling her oaths. "I understand, but we need him to finish what we started."

Karanaj sighed, leaning over and kissing Aliya's cheek. "Five ride forth." she said softly.

"Both of you need to get along for the sake of what we do." Gruush lectured.

"I have tried." Aliya lamented. "He stabs me in the back at every turn. He waits for only a chance to kill me."

"Unless we find out why he dislikes you and remedy the situation, we WILL fail." Gruush sighed. "Now for the other matter, who put the compulsion spell on you and for what purpose?"

"Mantatlus, of course." she answered. "I was to retrieve the sword and return to him."

Gruush glanced at the rest of us. "I am tired of him, we should do something about him before he causes more trouble."

"That's easier said than done." Karanaj observed.

"I agree, maybe Slartibartfast can help us." Gruush offered.

"Perhaps." Silvara cautioned. "He does things for his own reasons."

"He seems to care if we succeed." Gruush said hopefully.

Misha entered then, he looked tired... but well. My body tensed as he walked in, and it felt as though every nerve in my body was exposed. Aliya frowned as Silvara fell silent. He paused at the door. "I am sorry." He glanced at Silvara. “The wizard had to go. He sends his thanks.” He looked back at the rest of us. "Again, I am sorry." He moved towards our room. "I just need to grab a few things to make the stable nice and comfortable."

"Misha you need to stay and talk about this." Gruush said quietly.

"I said I was sorry, I was wrong." Misha replied softly.

"Wrong about what?" asked Aliya.

Misha turned away. "Vallia and Aliya have all the right in the world to hold me in contempt for my actions. I betrayed their trust." Aliya looked surprised as Misha turned to gather his things.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" she asked.

Misha called back over his shoulder, "It is the right thing to do." as he continued down the hall.

"Everyone thinks you hate Aliya. Is this true?" Gruush yelled after him.

Misha returned after a few moments with his things in hand. "I don't hate her." I frowned at that. "I dislike her. We are different... we always will be."

"Why, what has she done?" inquired Gruush.

"She sees me as undeserving of Vallia. Maybe she is right, maybe not." Misha shrugged.

Gruush turned to Aliya "Is this true?"

Misha slung his large satchel over his shoulder. "It isn't her fault. As I said before, I am at fault. I have made bad decisions. She only looks out for her sister out of concern."

Gruush stood. "Stop, we have to work this out tonight. Running off to the stable solves nothing. If we won't work together...all of us...there is no need to proceed further."

Misha dropped his bag on the floor. "I want to make this work, so I am doing my part to stay out of their way."

Aliya spoke, finally answering Gruush’s question. "It is true...if he continues to put other things first."

"Before what? Speak clearly." Gruush commanded.

"Before i hurt Vallia again." Misha muttered. "I must put her first before duty, faith and country."

"Aliya, do you put Karanaj before everything else? Vallia, do you put Misha before everything else?" Gruush looked at each of us in turn.

"Yes." I answered without hesitation, Aliya echoing me a second later.

"I put you all before myself." Misha said, looking at Aliya. "I have for some time now." Aliya frowned at this. "Frown all you want, Aliya. I have and will continue to do so."

"We did not ask about the rest of us." Aliya responded.

"I don't care." Misha said, almost petulantly, as he dropped his satchel. "Gruush is right. We must all trust each other, first and foremost."

Aliya stood as he spoke, and said through gritted teeth. "I did." before she moved to leave the room.

I knew my sister was right in her anger, and I stood as well. "It is a mistake she will not make again."

"SIT DOWN ALIYA!" Gruush roared. "THIS CONVERSATION IS NOT OVER!"

Misha smirked. "Gruush is right. Leaving will solve nothing, Aliya."

Aliya stopped at the doorway, taking a deep breath. "It will keep me from killing you."

A dangerous light flashed in Misha’s eyes, and my hand tightened on my sword. "Will it?'

"We work this out tonight, or tomorrow we go our own way." Gruush declared.

Misha nodded. "Agreed."

Aliya snarled. "Do so then. Go your own way. Prove yourselves untrustworthy yet again."

"Aliya, Misha is trying to bend, if you don't bend also there is no point on continuing." Gruush replied.

"Trying? In what way?" She retorted. "Still he attacks me every time I speak. I have seen no remorse for betraying a trust I was hesitant to give him in the first place. And still he cannot bring himself to say that he puts Vallia first."

"You also look for every opportunity to find fault with him." Gruush admonished her.

"Every opportunity?" She said wryly. "Hardly."

"He has never, in either life, had to put someone above himself." Gruush glanced at Misha. "Will you put Vallia ahead of yourself?"

"It is not above himself that concerns me." Aliya interjected before Misha could answer.

"I put you all before me." Misha replied. "My concerns matter little to yours."

"And that is not the problem!" Aliya shouted.

"Then what is the problem?" Misha asked testily.

"He puts us before himself, but duty before us. He would sacrifice us all to fulfill his duty." Aliya spat.

I was feeling worse and worse with each passing moment, their words hitting me like bricks. "I think," I said distinctly, "I'm going to be sick."

"That is what duty is sometimes." Gruush said to Aliya.

"Then the two of you are welcome to each other." she answered, as Karanaj pulled me away from the others, and Aliya turned to help.

"Karanaj can help her." Gruush ordered.

Aliya looked back at him. "When did you become my master?"

"What do want from Misha?" Gruush ignored her comment.

Their arguing pounded in my head as Aliya pulled back my hair, and I threw up into a bucket.

"Gruush, perhaps our words are wasted." I heard Misha say, and my stomach twisted again.

"I have heard few words from you." Aliya replied.

"In the morning, if things have not changed, we shall head for the Citadel and finish this ourselves." Misha continued, ignoring Aliya, and suddenly my feeling resolved themselves, snapping into place, and I knew what I must do. "I know that is my destination." he finished.

"She was hurt by you very badly, that is hard to forgive." Gruush said to Misha.

“I know" Misha acknowledged.

"You must work hard to prove you can change and earn her trust, and Vallia's."

Misha nodded. "I shall, but as it stands I am not welcome here. In the morning I ride for the citadel."

I straightened at this, pushing Kara away. "So you leave again?" I asked.

Misha nodded again. "I don't expect any of you to follow." he grabbed his satchel. "I am sorry Aliya... Vallia. I go for the sake of Aliya. The four of you can manage to keep the peace."

"Go, then, if you wish, but we will not follow." I said decisively. "Run, Misha, I am done chasing you."

The fool nodded a third time. "I got to strike at the heart of the matter."

It has gotten more and more difficult to write as this entry goes on. The pain is still too fresh, too raw. I can pinpoint the moment when I began to have my doubts about Misha. It was that night, when I awoke, watching him with Noriya. I felt as though a part of me was dying that night, and a small piece of me has died every day since. I feel as though I carry a heart of stone in my chest. Perhaps it is from that the numbness arises.

For a long time, I felt numb.

The agony washed over me in waves when I realized what Aliya had seen all along: that Misha does not love me as I love him. For Misha, I would have turned my back on my people and my god, I would have betrayed them, I would have died. For Misha, I would have let the world burn...

Misha would not have allowed this, I see that now. He would have killed me to prevent it, so strong is his love for duty, so much has it enslaved him. I had forgotten that Misha was not an elf when we fell in love, that perhaps the transformation wrought on his body had not changed his soul. The love’s magic does not reside in him; it never did. He does not feel its pull, understand its need. I know now why my people look at elves that love humans with such pity in their eyes. It does not have to do with the shortness of their lifespan. It has to do with their nature.

It should not have been such a revelation, but the magic blinded me to the truth. The agony was there, beneath the surface. It had built with each passing day, but I had ignored it, pushed away the signs. The argument between Aliya and Misha is done. It would gall him to know that she bought him more time than he deserved, pushing him the way that she did. So intent was I on their bickering that I did not see the underlying cause. Too selfish was he and too involved in his duty to see that what Aliya did, she did out of love.

When finally I realized what I had been a fool to ignore for so long, I felt as though I was drowning in an ocean of red waves. For a brief moment, my hand tightened on my sword, and I wanted nothing more in the world than to strike Misha down. In that moment, I hated him with just as much passion as I had loved him. The agony disappeared as my rage threatened to overwhelm me. Red bordered my vision, and I was shaking as I stood, and nodded to Aliya, to let her know that finally I accepted the offer she had made. As she laid her hand on me, and gripped Kara’s shoulder, I looked Misha in the eye, for what I hope was the last time and said, "This marriage is over. Goodbye." I said softly. His face was the last thing I saw as I felt a terrible wrenching in my stomach and knew that Aliya had transported us far from the dragon’s keep, far from Misha.

I had never imagined the torment of this. I feel as though my soul is on fire, as though my heart has been forged into stone. I remember something my mother told me once, long ago. She said that of the strongest love comes the purest hate. I understand that now.

Last edited:

Talindra

First Post
Well, that brings the journals for Vallia current, now to start on Aliya *sighs*. I have good word that I have shamed Karanaj and MIsha into doing journals as well. Gruush appears to be a lost cause, but I suppose four out of five players isn't bad. The game resumes this Friday, so journals for Vallia should be forthcoming on a weekly basis from now on. Thanks for reading!

Talindra

First Post
Perhaps I should devote some time to finish it, and then begin a new one with the new story I've begun.

I've always had a soft spot for this one too.

Remove ads