• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Journeyman PC Class (formerly Expert PC Class)

Ace

Adventurer
WOW!

Thats Really Great. It looks like a simple effiecient Class Creation Engine. As long as DM's take care with it it ought to work very well indeed.

I am adding it to my personal SRD file

My only concern is that this would be a munchkin menace if you don't require carefull multiclassing.

Oh and as an addendum if you wish you might make the totals for a random point roll 20+1d8 if you want to use both together

It shouldn't be unbalanced

Good show

Hollywood

First Post
Originally posted by Ace WOW!
Good show

Thanks!

My only concern is that this would be a munchkin menace if you don't require carefull multiclassing.

Don't think it should be too bad. For the most part there are pluses and minuses to all choices, and the class in general should probably be a tad underpowered compared to the straight classes. But with all things, both core rules and through use of zeroth rule, the DM should have the final say.

Hollywood

First Post
Updated the Journeyman with some tweaks, names for the Spell Abilities and fixed some minor issues.

Also added a Variant, in testing, that allows more flexibility on a level by level basis.

Chacal

First Post
Interesting way of breaking down the classes.
Nice work.

I missed the wizard bonus feats though. Is it why the
wizards value is so low ?

One could then make as a journeyman a wizard with D8 and
2 good saves, unless I missed something.

I actually like the system, but I'm a bit concerned about the classes which abilities might have been underevaluated.

Chacal

Drawmack

First Post

Thanks for the shout out.

Although I am bothered by them not being allowed to take domains under the variant rules that open all other spell casting options wide.

Also for the static you point by at 28 cp, I would make the random be 24 + 1d8 this keeps 28 as the average.

A little niggly point with me, edit the document I found about 4 typos just in casual reading.

Hollywood

First Post
Chacal said:
Interesting way of breaking down the classes.
Nice work.

Thanks!

I missed the wizard bonus feats though. Is it why the
wizards value is so low ?

Right, bonus feats for wizards and fighters were treated as "class abilities" since in essense thats what they are, so no they weren't included in the testing data. Wanted to get the average "power level" from the essential core concepts of all the classes in order to use as a target number of Class Points for the Journeyman class.

One could then make as a journeyman a wizard with D8 and 2 good saves, unless I missed something.

Only if you use the Variant rules as the Bard, Druid, Cleric, Wizard and Sorcerer spell abilities are not available otherwise. Also note that you get neither Spell Mastery feat, since its a class ability just like Weapon Specialization is, nor do you get the ability to do the wizard Specialization.

I actually like the system, but I'm a bit concerned about the classes which abilities might have been underevaluated.

All classes were purposely under-valued so that the Class Points used to build a Journeyman is lower than the other classes. Wizard and Sorcerer are hard to account for, and I am still pondering whether the Wizard and Sorcerer Spell Ability needs to be bumped another 2 points to 14 and 16 respectively.

Also for the static you point by at 28 cp, I would make the random be 24 + 1d8 this keeps 28 as the average.

Right, but I think 32 Class Points, randomly, is a bit too many so I felt the trade-off of possibly getting more CP overcame the negatives of getting less CP. Not sure... thoughts? Probably should move it to a Variant rule anyways.

Although I am bothered by them not being allowed to take domains under the variant rules that open all other spell casting options wide.

Might thought here was that the Domains are a special provience of the Cleric, something that is effectively tied to and is part of the archtype of the Cleric, so didn't want to steal any thunder from the Cleric. Still not completely convinced that the Wizard and Sorcerer spell abilities should be allowed through the variant either, since those two classes are pretty dependent on those abilities where as other casting classes have other things in addition to spell ability.

Drawmack

First Post
Hollywood said:
Right, but I think 32 Class Points, randomly, is a bit too many so I felt the trade-off of possibly getting more CP overcame the negatives of getting less CP. Not sure... thoughts? Probably should move it to a Variant rule anyways.
I really don't there would only be a 12.5% of any individual number coming up. 1 - 3 are below the 28 that is static giving you a 37.5% chance of being lower powered, a 12.5% chance of having the same power and a 50% chance of being more powerful. If you want to skew this then make it 23 + 1d8 which is 50% chance of lower powered, 12.5% chance of equal power and 37.5% chance of higher power. The way you have it now there is a 50% of lower power, 16 & 2/3 chance of equal and only 33 & 1/3 chance of higher power.

Might thought here was that the Domains are a special provience of the Cleric, something that is effectively tied to and is part of the archtype of the Cleric, so didn't want to steal any thunder from the Cleric. Still not completely convinced that the Wizard and Sorcerer spell abilities should be allowed through the variant either, since those two classes are pretty dependent on those abilities where as other casting classes have other things in addition to spell ability.
that could be but what if I wanted to use this to make a priest who is just like a cleric but less martial?

Last edited:

Hollywood

First Post
Drawmack said:
that could be but what if I wanted to use this to make a priest who is just like a cleric but less martial?

I think thats the danger here, where do you draw the line from using rule zero to make slight altercations to a core class to achieve the results you want, or when do you use something like the Journeyman class instead.

However, I think the point is valid, if all the standard spell ability forms are included for purchase in the variant, then the domains should be too.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads