• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jovar (superior weapon)

StickPerson

First Post
Quick question:

I’m DM’ing a campaign and just switched over from 3.5 to 4th edition. Just before our switch one of my PC’s had acquired a Jovar, basically a greatsword with an expanded critical range of 18-20 that counted as an exotic weapon and thus required an exotic weapon proficiency feat.

I would like to reproduce this weapon under the 4th edition rules and was thinking that the appropriate stats would be as follows:

Two-handed superior melee weapon; Prof +3: Damage 1d10: Group, Heavy blade: Properties High crit.

Basically just a greatsword with the high crit property added and made into a superior melee weapon, thus requiring the weapon proficiency feat to wield.

This seems balanced and reasonable to me, but I'd like another opinion or two.

Thanks!

Two-handed superior melee weapon; Prof +3: Damage 1d10: Group, Heavy blade: Properties High crit.
There are some folks that feel that's what the greatsword should have been in the first place.

As generalhenry said, the weapon as you listed it is bit below the bastard sword. I'd suggest bumping the damage die up to 1d12 to better separate it from the bastard sword.

StickPerson

First Post
As a fan of the greatsword I'm inclined to agree. I like the idea of distinguishing it from the bastard sword a bit more. Thanks for the feedback.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads