• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jovian Chronicles coolness

Wil

First Post
jdrakeh's thread about science fiction games brought up a spot that I often forget about in one of my favorite games, Jovian Chronicles. People always assume it's a mecha game (it does, after all, feature mecha on the cover), yet for some reason I always overlook the mecha - partly because they're just part of the setting but moreso because there's so much else that's cool in the setting and the mecha are so easily removed.

So I wanted to sum up some of the things that are cool in Jovian Chronicles, things that might get overlooked by someone who has been turned off by a giant robot on the cover.

* Technology that is not rampant nor completely changing what it is to be human. There are a set of agreed upon treaties, called the Edicts, that intentionally limit research in certain fields. The technology - such as genetic engineering and nanotechnology - is there, it's just controlled.
* Mercurian Merchant Guild solar sail barges
* Venusian polar cities on kilometer high "stilts" (the "stilts" are actually massive heat sinks that not only elevate the city above the boiling ground below, but are serving to cool it down).
* The ultimate puppetmasters, the Venusian megacorps, headed by the Venus Bank. Also, the extremely high technology level that Venusian society enjoys - yet still (marginally) remains within the Edicts.
* Skyhooks - platforms in near Earth orbit that extend into the Earth's atmosphere and out of it as well. An atmospheric cargo craft flies to the landing platform, offloads cargo, and it's shipped up in elevators to the space-based station where it can either be launched via massdriver or loaded onto cargo shuttles or ships. Imagine being somewhere equatorial and looking up to see the fiery trails left by the skyhooks.
* One of the few true "good guys" of the setting, the Martian Free Republic, having hovertanks that beat the snot out of the Martian Federation every single time. It's nice seeing the little guy have a technological advantage like that.
* The 'Vater Crater, the remains of the Martian space elevator that was taken down by terrorists.
* Nomads living in the asteroid belt who value competency above all else, and are the master MacGyvers in the setting. Nomads are highly sought after for ship crews everywhere.
* The Jovian Confederation as the only nation that does not have some kind of terra firma beneath its feet, living in colony cylinders at various points along Jupiter's orbit. The depiction of life within their massive colony cylinders really helps to understand what it would be like to live at the outskirts of human-explored space.
* Cool ship designs (most have rotating crew sections...that's cool enough).
* No aliens, FTL, or psionics.

Those certainly aren't the only cool things, but they're what pops into my head before I even think of mecha. So, the next time you're looking for a hard science-fiction setting give Jovian Chronicles a second look, if the first time you glazed over it because of the mecha.

Bobitron

Explorer
I love the Jovian Chronicls setting. I always appreciated Heavy Gear more, but the space tech of Jovian is just tops. It's a great RPG setting. Just glancing through the books should give some inspiration to GM's of any scifi game.

Thanee

First Post
Wil said:
People always assume it's a mecha game

The only JC book I have (the first one, AFAIK) was using the licensed Mekton II rules. ;)

I think the newer ones are quite a bit different from that. :)

Bye
Thanee

Wil

First Post
Bobitron said:
I love the Jovian Chronicls setting. I always appreciated Heavy Gear more, but the space tech of Jovian is just tops. It's a great RPG setting. Just glancing through the books should give some inspiration to GM's of any scifi game.

Yeah, that's a more concise way of putting what I was trying to get across ;) Even some of the individual books - the Spacer's Guide, Space Equipment Handbook and even the Mechanical Catalogs - may be good for another science fiction game. There isn't a whole lot that's original or innovative in JC, but it does a good job of working with what it has to make a compelling setting.

Wil

First Post
Thanee said:
The only JC book I have (the first one, AFAIK) was using the licensed Mekton II rules. ;)

I think the newer ones are quite a bit different from that. :)

Bye
Thanee

They are quite a bit different - "Green Book" JC was much more Gundam-derivative (and more anime focussed). The Silhouette version of JC made it into a hard science-fiction game, which the second edition continues. The only problem that this caused was a kind of schizophrenia in the older supplements for the Silhouette version - was it an anime game, or a hard science fiction game? Most of the time, science fiction won out ;)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I suspect people who are interested in a realistic hard science setting are simply allergic to anime and or giant robots.

It's like putting Richard Simmons or Bea Arthur on the cover of Playboy.

Stalker0

Legend
Dont' know about the setting but in general I greatly enjoy the Silhouette system that its based on. The mechanics are some of my favorities.

Wil

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Well, I suspect people who are interested in a realistic hard science setting are simply allergic to anime and or giant robots.

It's like putting Richard Simmons or Bea Arthur on the cover of Playboy.

Which I guess I could see...if it weren't for the fact that humanoid vehicles being used in zero-gravity isn't nearly as unbelievable as they would be on the ground. Sure, they don't need legs or arms, but most space-based fighters don't need canopies or wings either - and many people seem to have no problem with those. For space-superiority, a humanoid form is almost as good as any other. And many newer designs in the JC universe dispensed with legs in favor of just having the lower-fuselage/thrusters and the torso. The head mounting the primary sensor arrays is not much different than mounting them in a turret, and the arms actually can actually come in quite "handy".

Of course, I've always been tossed up about whether or not having the mech on the cover did anything to help the game - to me it didn't convey the most important aspects of the setting, and I'd have been a lot happier with some panoramic view of the Jovian capital with ships and whatnot flitting about it.

Swack-Iron

First Post
Ahhhh, JC. I have a soft spot in my heart for that game. Maybe someday I'll even get to play.

I think for hard SF settings, Dream Pod 9 does it best. Both Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles are outstandingly detailed settings. Although both feature mecha, neither setting suffers one jot if you mentally subtract the mecha out.

Remove ads