• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement Day (Full)

RandomPrecision

First Post
I'm finally back here with my jump drive, I can probably wrap-up my character sometime, but I won't be here this evening, and parts of the night...don't delay the start for my inclusion, if characters can walk in later, I'll do that.

And semi-pedantically, judgment is spelled with only one e, between m and n.

gabrion

First Post
Hey, looks like you are starting this up with the players you have, but I was wondering if you would consider another? If not I'll just follow along in case someone can't continue for some reason. Also a question...

Albedo said:
usable books include all WizCo products except Unearthed Arcana, Dieties and Demigods, and Dragon (duh). All rules will be as printed, no Errata.

Did you really mean this? (That wasn't supposed to sound rude, I'm just curious.)

RandomPrecision

First Post
Kerrz said:
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/judgement?view=uk

If you can say "don't" and "I'll" and "I'm" then we can say "judgement". They're all variations after all.

http://rinkworks.com/words/misspelled.shtml

Some words are easy to spell. Some aren't. Some are spelled like they sound. Some aren't. The following is a list of frequently misspelled words. In some cases, a particularly common misspelling is given in parentheses. Sometimes these alternate spellings are listed in permissive dictionaries as spelling "variants," but this does not mean these spellings are correct spellings. (The word "ain't" is in the dictionary, too, but it's not correct.)

... judgment (judgement)...

Search for "frequently misspelled words", or something similar, and you'll "judgment" on almost every page.

Need to outfit my character with items, and I'd like to format it a bit better...could be up later tonight if I finally don't have things I need to do.

Kerrz

First Post
So you're telling me that the Oxford English Dicitonary is wrong (note that it lists judgment as the variant, not the accurate spelling - just try looking up judgment,) but your random internet sources are right. They're right, of course, because they say right in them that not every word in the dictionary is correct. That is officially nonsense. Where are the "correct" spellings listed then if not the dictionary?

Which linguistic rule states that we have to take the e off of judge before we can add "ment"?

But yes. This is ridiculously off topic, and I find it hilarious that you brought it up in the first place. I find it even funnier that I have argued. Carry on (preferably about something else... I'm not sure I really want my questions answered.)

RandomPrecision

First Post
Well, I knew I couldn't pass in a spelling bee with judgement, so I did a minute or two of research on a guess of mine, and confirmed my hypothesis. Judgment is correct in the United States, and Judgement is correct in England. Being from the US, that was always an unnerving thing to notice every time I visited this thread, pedantic as it is, although in a global community like EN World, I think we should defer to the British and the OED. Although I'm now curious if Canada always uses the British spellings of words, I think we've already had far too many posts on the subject, so let us have peace and judgement with two e's. :)

Remove ads